Is China a military threat to the US?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

How severe a military threat does China pose to the US?

Critical; the US should launch preemptive strikes to eliminate the Chinese military's capacity to threaten it.
1%
Severe; the US should prepare to go to war against China, a war that is inevitable.
1%
Moderate; the US and China's military strengths are at parity, and the US needs to recruit allies to address this.
11%
Minor; the US should prepare in the unlikely event it must go to war, but military preparations should not come at the expense of education and other social services.
70%
Nonexistent; the US could safely reduce its military budget to the minimum needed to counter terrorists and other non-state actors, and should do so.
17%

Total votes: 76

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Is China a military threat to the US?

Post by Thanas »

Stas Bush wrote:Wait you are seriously blaming China for fighting nations that were setting up colonies halfway across the globe?
Given that they had not attacked China at that point I fail to see this as anything but a typical war of this period. It is really hard to frame China as fighting the anticolonial war here considering they held colonies of their own and did some serious illegal things, like the torture and execution of Portugese diplomats.

:lol: Simon is right in that China did not often attack Western powers (its own neighbors are not Western powers).
It is hard to view that as anything but a lack of opportunity considering it was only war that stopped them from expanding westwards.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Wait, we all know how the Western colonization of Indochina and South-East Asia went - it can only be described as pure aggression, plunder, capture of territory and then colonial rape.

China did something illegal - sure, and the Western powers collectively raped it several times over and sacked its towns more than once. I believe that is a bit more of an issue than the execution of colonialist agents.

China had virtually no policy of maritime expansion and frankly, Chinese colonies were all in China's immediate border vicinity. Portugal and Spain invaded places thousands of kilometers away from their borders. No wait. All Western powers did that, there are no exceptions.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stas Bush wrote:Wait, we all know how the Western colonization of Indochina and South-East Asia went - it can only be described as pure aggression, plunder, capture of territory and then colonial rape.

China did something illegal - sure,
So hold the fucking phone, are you really claiming 16th century China was the good guy here? They were no better than those that set up their colonies.

You have a point for the Opium wars and so on, but not when it comes to competing powers acting outside their own lands.
China had virtually no policy of maritime expansion
Which again is more a problem with capabilities and gains instead of a lack of will. China was certainly able and willing to dominate its neighbours maritimely and considered all of Indonesia their sphere of influence, often sending fleets to bully the weaker states there if they did not do as China wanted.

Oh, and BS with China not setting up any colonies, or how do you phrase the Korean and Vietnam wars during the manchu era?
and the Western powers collectively raped it several times over and sacked its towns more than once. I believe that is a bit more of an issue than the execution of colonialist agents.
Not in the 1500 and 1600s, where China was just as much interested in expanding than other states were.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Except what you are saying is totally wrong. China has had the capability for maritime expansion since the Ming dynasty; it had no political will to do so, however, and while its ships could engage in gunboat diplomacy, at no point was this even remotely equal to fucking grabbing massive swathes of land, including entire damn continents, as your own land!

China considered Indonesia a sphere of influence, but did not care to establish a colony or take over it; the Netherlands, a tiny European nation which had fuck nothing to do with Indonesia, not even ever being its neighbor, took over the entire place and occupied it. I am sure you will find some way to weasel out and ignore the simple fact that the Western powers invaded everything around China despite being tens of thousands of kilometers away, while China exerted influence only on immediate neighbors (Mongolia, Vietnam, Korea etc.).

China was not interested in expanding on a world scale; every sinologist knows as much, and you just sound like a complete joke if you don't know that.

Yes, considering the fucking outcome for SEA, Thanas, 16th century China was on the defensive and it was right. Christian zealots that took over the entire fucking region and claimed it as a colony, and tried to turn huge parts of China itself into a colony, these vicious conquista-minded landrobbers were the bad guys. I thought that was pretty obvious, you know... Vietnam has fuck nothing to do with France and Indonesia with either Portugal or the Netherlands.

Now you explain to me what the fuck Portugal was doing on the other side of the continent. Wait. It was taking over the land of others and mess with their maritime trade, right? Right. These were which colonies of Portugal, again? Places it took over by force to monopolize control over the oceans? :lol: For a historian you seem to know awfully little about the Malayan-Portuguese war. Tell me again, who was Portugal protecting there?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

if you asked a Vietnamese Stas, they'd view China as also having nothing the fuck to do them, same as france. In fact, they'd probably view China as worse, as a long time occasional coloniser.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

One may reasonably view China as a threatening and obnoxious regional power that poses a real threat to nations near them, without viewing them as a global menace that is likely to meddle in the affairs of remote nations.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Simon_Jester wrote:One may reasonably view China as a threatening and obnoxious regional power that poses a real threat to nations near them, without viewing them as a global menace that is likely to meddle in the affairs of remote nations.
They are expanding their reach, they just learned from the empires that came before and are trying to avoid making the same mistakes.
http://www.economist.com/news/books-and ... iven-money

As has been said before, China is run by human beings, just as the British, French, Dutch, Roman, American, ect. empires.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

madd0ct0r wrote:if you asked a Vietnamese Stas, they'd view China as also having nothing the fuck to do them, same as france. In fact, they'd probably view China as worse, as a long time occasional coloniser.
That is correct, except China shares a border with Vietnam and France shares nothing with Vietnam. Plain facts. Nations often hate their neighbors much more than the countries on the other side of the world. Which, again, brings us to the point... how is China a threat to the West? If it is a threat to someone, that would be a threat to the much weaker neighbors like the Philippines and Vietnam.

So while China clearly has the potential to be a regional bully, it is unlikely that it would even want to do the same as the West on a global scale.

Just consider the fact that Western colonization and world-domination costed these nations an enormous share of GDP devoted to military build-up, all large colonial powers sought to have a powerful Navy to keep their possessions and the military burden only decreased after decolonization. China thus far hasn't been willing to embark on a program even remotely big enough to create a neocolonial military for the XXI century.

That military should be at least as large as the US one, and the naval and air power component should prevail massively as those are the most useful tools for typical brute-force approach: bombing intervention, landings and minor invasions by special operations groups, gunboat diplomacy.

But despite the economies being at PPP parity, the Chinese military isn't even close, and it is not disporportionately devoting resources to its navy or air force.

Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stas Bush wrote:I am sure you will find some way to weasel out and ignore the simple fact that the Western powers invaded everything around China despite being tens of thousands of kilometers away, while China exerted influence only on immediate neighbors (Mongolia, Vietnam, Korea etc.).
Yes, and their "influence" (more like widespread genocidal slaughter) was in no way any better than that of the colonial powers.
China was not interested in expanding on a world scale; every sinologist knows as much, and you just sound like a complete joke if you don't know that.
Really now? China wasn't able to extend influence on a world scale because they were seriously limited in their technology and efficiency. They never managed to subdue the northern tribes because their military sucked, and they never managed to establish colonies because their inefficient naval powers made it not worthwhile. They never managed to conquer more of the west not because of lack of trying, but because they got their heads bashed in by the local powers.
Yes, considering the fucking outcome for SEA, Thanas, 16th century China was on the defensive and it was right. Christian zealots that took over the entire fucking region and claimed it as a colony, and tried to turn huge parts of China itself into a colony, these vicious conquista-minded landrobbers were the bad guys. I thought that was pretty obvious, you know... Vietnam has fuck nothing to do with France and Indonesia with either Portugal or the Netherlands.
And I repeat that China was just like any other nation in that time. When they got the means to take over their neighbours, they did so. You know remarkable little about the history of Vietnam or Korea if you try to claim otherwise. Oh and I am sure I don't have to remind you that China tried to invade Japan multiple times and only gave up after they proved to be utterly inadequate in their technology to conquer the area. Likewise, they also tried to conquer Burma and Java, in both cases managing to make a mess out of it due to their technology sucking.

The mere fact is that China was unable to conquer its neighbours because they lacked reliable means of power projection and because conquering them would not achieve anything that they did not enjoy anyway.
For a historian you seem to know awfully little about the Malayan-Portuguese war. Tell me again, who was Portugal protecting there?
Nobody, just like China was not doing anything except attempting to push out a peer competitor.
------------
------------
My LPs
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

Ralin wrote:
Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:China regaining its position as the world's dominant economic superpower will simply be the end of a brief (relatively speaking) historical anomaly and a return to normalcy.
Yeah, this is ahistorical crap. Comparing the economies of the more successful pre-modern Chinese dynasties and the modern Chinese state (or any other industralized country) is comparing apples and oranges.
There's nothing ahistorical about the largest nation with abundant resources, highly productive agriculture, and navigable waterways being the world's dominant economy. In fact, it's what you would expect outside of temporary shocks like the Roman and Mongol empires and industrialization.
It's nothing to fret about, not that this will stop my countrymen from working themselves into a mounting frenzy. The average British or French citizen is much better off living in a nation that isn't running around trying to impose its will on the globe, and after the American economic empire recedes, I suspect the average US citizen will be too.
The average British or French citizen is better off living in a country with a strong welfare state and legally backed civil rights and shit. Not seeing how they wouldn’t be better off with those things and the ability to vacuum out the wealth of a colonial empire and bring it back home.
Governments that rape distant continents don't implement welfare states at home. It takes a "fuck y'all, I'mma get mine" mindset to take part in running a bellicose nation. Once that nation stops warmongering, it can be run by adults and everyone at home benefits.
We should take care to characterize China as an entity that will act in its own best interests and not a Fu-Man-Chu mustachioed yellow menace capable of wreaking havoc via actions that would ultimately harm its own economy worse than ours.
We should characterize China as a major entity that will act in what a whole bunch of people in various positions of authority think is their own best interests at differing time depending on who is making what specific calls. I don’t think the Chinese government’s foreign policy moves according to a coherent plan. They wouldn’t have pissed away all the good will they had not so long ago from all their investments by throwing their weight around in the South China Sea if they did.
That's true, but it doesn't lend any support to the notion that Americans are in plausible danger of Chinese attack.
Thanas wrote:
It's also worth noting that never in the historical record has China attacked a Western power that wasn't invading its neighbor (Korea in 1950),
Xizang and Xinjiang provinces. And India in the 50s. 'Western' is a relative thing. :P
No.

Only the muslim success in 751 stopped a very aggressively expanding China and China tried to wage war against the Portugese and Spanish as well when they formed their colonies. Likewise, Korea, Vietnam etc. got a few things to say about Chinese nonaggression as well.
My intention wasn't to paint China as a nation of Zen pacifists (which would be rather silly of me after lambasting people for stereotyping earlier in the post), only to point out that they have historically been much less aggressive during their prior zenith than Europe and the US during theirs, and there's no particular reason to think they would feel the need to act as Globocop like America does.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanas wrote:Yes, and their "influence" (more like widespread genocidal slaughter) was in no way any better than that of the colonial powers.
Another lie. Demonstrate proof of 'genocidal slaughter' during the ~XV century wars between China and Vietnam, China and Korea, China and Mongolia or, and that's the most peculiar one, between China and Indonesia. Or concede that you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.
Thanas wrote:Really now? China wasn't able to extend influence on a world scale because they were seriously limited in their technology and efficiency.
Really now. The Ming ships sailed all the way across the Indian ocean, being the largest oceangoing wooden ships ever built by man, they were way larger than the conquistador's vessels. That was a political decision to pursue no naval expansion or colonization. The overseas Chinese settlements that were created were not considered Chinese territory.
Thanas wrote:They never managed to subdue the northern tribes because their military sucked
You mean because they were militarily on par with their neighbors, as opposed to the lopsided conquest and genocide of the Americas, where prepared and equipped nation-state militaries confronted shells of ancient empires or, often, tribal primitive societies? Damn right.
Thanas wrote:and they never managed to establish colonies because their inefficient naval powers made it not worthwhile.
:lol: Indeed.
Thanas wrote:They never managed to conquer more of the west not because of lack of trying, but because they got their heads bashed in by the local powers.
Conquer what 'of the West'?
Thanas wrote:You know remarkable little about the history of Vietnam or Korea if you try to claim otherwise.
More than you do.
Thanas wrote:Oh and I am sure I don't have to remind you that China tried to invade Japan multiple times and only gave up after they proved to be utterly inadequate in their technology to conquer the area.
You mean the Mongol dynasty that preceded by 100+ years the actual maritime technologies of China that were present in the early Ming time?
Thanas wrote:Likewise, they also tried to conquer Burma and Java, in both cases managing to make a mess out of it due to their technology sucking.
You mean the Mongol dynasty again. Right.
Thanas wrote:The mere fact is that China was unable to conquer its neighbours because they lacked reliable means of power projection and because conquering them would not achieve anything that they did not enjoy anyway.
Um... so certainly, some powerful nation in Europe managed to conquer all its neighbors and not go roaming over the seas trying to take over primitive lands. Right?
Thanas wrote:Nobody, just like China was not doing anything except attempting to push out a peer competitor.
Except China wasn't pushing out a 'competitor', China was so isolationist that a ban on private maritime activity in it existed for several centuries. It was outraged by an open attack against an allied state that it protected for god knows how long against the Thais. Once again you prove that your knowledge of the period and events equals bullshit.

Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Thanas wrote:Really now? China wasn't able to extend influence on a world scale because they were seriously limited in their technology and efficiency. They never managed to subdue the northern tribes because their military sucked, and they never managed to establish colonies because their inefficient naval powers made it not worthwhile. They never managed to conquer more of the west not because of lack of trying, but because they got their heads bashed in by the local powers.
Rome couldn't subdue the nomadic tribes originating from the same areas as those that invaded China, of which many of them originated from the Steppes. Also, you are talking about a huge land area here. No Western European power in the Medieval ages, EXCEPT Russia and those in the eastern part of Europe, has had to deal with invaders originating from a land area as large as the Chinese had. The area is so big, it is near impossible seriously to subjugate all of it, while ensuring control back home.

Mind you, those same "Tribes" happily obliterated a good number of Western armies and Arab armies. Honestly, I'm not even sure why you are talking about sucking.
And I repeat that China was just like any other nation in that time. When they got the means to take over their neighbours, they did so. You know remarkable little about the history of Vietnam or Korea if you try to claim otherwise. Oh and I am sure I don't have to remind you that China tried to invade Japan multiple times and only gave up after they proved to be utterly inadequate in their technology to conquer the area. Likewise, they also tried to conquer Burma and Java, in both cases managing to make a mess out of it due to their technology sucking.
The Sea of Japan makes the bloody English Channel look like some river stream in comparison, with hurricane force winds and the lot, and typhoons every damn summer. Seriously, you want to make a comparison of that kind?! Not even the Mediterranean has had to deal with such problems. The Mongol invasion of Japan was incidentally obliterated by "Divine Wind" literally.
The mere fact is that China was unable to conquer its neighbours because they lacked reliable means of power projection and because conquering them would not achieve anything that they did not enjoy anyway.
Chinese strategy has always been to have vassal states. They have their hands full in making sure their own lands are safe. If by anything, you are betraying the usual Western lack of understanding of the sheer population size in Asia and all the implications of that.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Thanas wrote:You know remarkable little about the history of Vietnam or Korea if you try to claim otherwise. Oh and I am sure I don't have to remind you that China tried to invade Japan multiple times and only gave up after they proved to be utterly inadequate in their technology to conquer the area.
Chinese suzerainty in Korea and some other tributuary states was nothing like 19th century style european imperialism. The rulers of Korea had to swear an oath to not wage war against China and to send yearly tributes to the chinese court, but otherwise they were left alone to do as they pleased, China was even instrumental in repelling a bloody and violent japanese invasion of Korea in the 1590s when they were asked for help as the suzerain. True, at certain points China invaded Korea and comitted atrocities but those were A: foreign dynasties like the Mongol Yuan and the Manchu Qing and B: one-off events that didn't repeat after they had made their point of getting Korea to drop support for the dynasties the Mongols and Manchu replaced.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

China clashed with Korea during the Sui and Tang dynasties, or to be more specific one of the Korean kingdoms of Goguryeo. To be fair the conflict was mainly over disputed territories, into what we call Manchuria and mainly parts of the modern day PRC. Goguryeo was ultimately defeated when the Tang dynasties allied with the Korean kingdom of Silla and tagged team it. Although to be fair at the same time the Tang were also fighting off Turkic tribesman on the other side of their empire.

That being said after these China tended to have cordial relations with Korea, even sending troops to help repel a Japanese invasion. As Metahive noted Chinese troops under the Mongols did invade Korea, and the Manchu ruled Qing invaded Korea IIRC because they were calling for the restoration of the Chinese Ming dynasty.

I am with Stas on this. Even today the PRC sees itself as a regional power rather than a globalist one like western powers. For example China does deals in Africa and is less interested in promoting its method of government onto them, unlike the West. You can argue that what the West does is better, but you cannot at the same time then go and attack China for trying to force itself on neighbours on the other side of the globe.

@Thanas

Please tell me you aren't calling the Mongols invasion of Japan as "Chinese" right. By that logic China bombed Pearl Harbour because its capital was run by Japan at the time.

Edit - I am just going to add this in. China becomes developed and some Westerners worry its going to invade the other side of the globe. China does deals in Africa and specifically does not enforce any of its values on them. Some Westerners then bitch about them not helping promote values of good governance. You just can't win. In fact the Chinese should simply choose not to play this ridiculous "game" because its goddamn rigged against them.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Metahive wrote:
Thanas wrote:You know remarkable little about the history of Vietnam or Korea if you try to claim otherwise. Oh and I am sure I don't have to remind you that China tried to invade Japan multiple times and only gave up after they proved to be utterly inadequate in their technology to conquer the area.
Chinese suzerainty in Korea and some other tributuary states was nothing like 19th century style european imperialism. The rulers of Korea had to swear an oath to not wage war against China and to send yearly tributes to the chinese court, but otherwise they were left alone to do as they pleased, China was even instrumental in repelling a bloody and violent japanese invasion of Korea in the 1590s when they were asked for help as the suzerain. True, at certain points China invaded Korea and comitted atrocities but those were A: foreign dynasties like the Mongol Yuan and the Manchu Qing and B: one-off events that didn't repeat after they had made their point of getting Korea to drop support for the dynasties the Mongols and Manchu replaced.
In fact, the "tribute" was sort of a large scale exchange of goods between governments, sort of a trade to go alongside the civilian merchants (IIRC my undergraduate classes on Chinese foreign policy correctly).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

mr friendly guy wrote:Edit - I am just going to add this in. China becomes developed and some Westerners worry its going to invade the other side of the globe. China does deals in Africa and specifically does not enforce any of its values on them. Some Westerners then bitch about them not helping promote values of good governance. You just can't win. In fact the Chinese should simply choose not to play this ridiculous "game" because its goddamn rigged against them.
When you refer to Chinese values, are you referring to the style of government, or something more cultural?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Style of government. Its no secret that China educates people about their culture such as language and values. Not so much with style of government which is considered part of Western values (eg Liberal democratic values). In fact from what I hear some Chinese have some equivalent to American uniqueness, but manifested in a different way. That is that their form of government is unique and most probably can't be transplanted onto someone else, so lets not even try.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stas Bush wrote:Another lie. Demonstrate proof of 'genocidal slaughter' during the ~XV century wars between China and Vietnam, China and Korea, China and Mongolia or, and that's the most peculiar one, between China and Indonesia. Or concede that you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.
Their own claims are enough here.
This killing by the Vietnamese aspirant became the immediate pretext for Yong-le to launch an invasion of the polity, but this move had obviously been planned well before the event. In that same year of 1406, two huge Chinese armies were sent along two routes, via Yun-nan and Guang-xi, into Đại Việt. The subsequent campaigns and military actions have already been dealt with in some detail in several works, including John Whitmore’s Vietnam, Hồ Quý Ly, and the Ming (1371-1421). Chinese forces claimed seven million of the Vietnamese killed in this initial campaign to take the polity. In 1407, Jiao-zhi became Ming China’s 14th province, and remained so until 1428, when the Ming were forced by the Vietnamese to withdraw. However, this 21-year period was one of almost incessant fighting.
BTW, the Chinese also made an effort to eradicate Vietnam culture, including burning books. They also enslaved hundreds of thousands of people, with several of the best artisans being transferred to the capital.

Even if we allow for obvious embellishment this is still way too large to just be a matter of a mere thousands killed. Now, how many Indonesians did the Portugese kill when they took Malacca? You argued their slaughter was genocidal, so how many people did they kill? More than the Chinese claim they took in a single colonial conflict?

Oh, btw:
An “Imperial force for Voyages to Fan lands” (下番官軍)still existed and was being used for voyages at least to Champa as late as 1453.
Really now. The Ming ships sailed all the way across the Indian ocean, being the largest oceangoing wooden ships ever built by man, they were way larger than the conquistador's vessels. That was a political decision to pursue no naval expansion or colonization. The overseas Chinese settlements that were created were not considered Chinese territory.
Larger does not mean capable. Roman vessels were larger than carracks too, does not demonstrate a capability to colonize. There is also more to colonization than ships. Clearly the Chinese viewed the trade a better way to extract what they needed. And viewed paying Burmese to fight each other better than invading Burma themselves. But still, that does not make them any less engaged, it makes them a peer competitor for influence in the region.
]Um... so certainly, some powerful nation in Europe managed to conquer all its neighbors and not go roaming over the seas trying to take over primitive lands. Right?
Give that Chinese empire the means and they'll do just fine with conquering. Fact is that like the Romans, they stopped because they deemed trade and indirect rule to be worth more than conquest (and because they suffered serious setbacks).
Except China wasn't pushing out a 'competitor', China was so isolationist that a ban on private maritime activity
...to ensure a state monopoly, of course, which was then discarded once taxing private activity was becoming more lucrative.
in it existed for several centuries. It was outraged by an open attack against an allied state that it protected for god knows how long against the Thais. Once again you prove that your knowledge of the period and events equals bullshit.
Right, clearly China was not acting like a hegomon...
Economic Exploitation of Yun-nan
In the process by which they were gradually absorbed by the Ming, these polities were subjected to a wide range of tribute demands, labour levies and other claims, including troop provision. As an example, in the case of the Tai Mao polity of Lu-chuan/Ping-mian, the Ming court demanded 15,000 horses, 500 elephants and 30,000 cattle from the ruler Si Lun-fa in 1397. Subsequently, large silver demands (silver in lieu of labour) were levied on Lu-chuan. The annual amount of 6,900 liang of silver was initially set and then it was almost tripled to 18,000 liang. When it was realised that this was impossible to meet, the levy was reduced to the original amount. Diverse other levies were applied to the other polities and enforced through the use or threat of military force.
Violence in Java (1407)
In 1407, Zheng He’s troops went ashore in Java, on which was situated the polity of Majapahit, one of the Ming’s major competitors for regional hegemony in maritime Southeast Asia. In an ensuing battle, some 170 of the Ming forces were killed. The Chinese records suggests that the Chinese troops “went ashore to trade”, “where the Eastern king had ruled”, which suggests Chinese involvement, intentional or otherwise, in a Javanese civil war. In response, the Ming dunned the Western king of Java (presumably the ruler of Majapahit) for compensation. “Immediately pay 60,000 liang 72 of gold in compensation for their lives and to atone for your crime…..Fail to comply and there will be no option but to despatch an army to punish your crime. What happened in Annam can serve as an example.” The threatening reference is to the Ming invasion of Annam noted above. The methods of the later European colonial armies in Asia, demanding compensation following their own military adventures, might be seen as useful comparative examples of such imperial opportunism./quote]
Attack on Sri Lanka (1411)
Perhaps the event most telling as to the nature of the eunuch-led maritime voyages was the military invasion of Sri Lanka, the capture of a ruler and his carrying back to the Ming court in modern Nan-jing in 1411. This occurred during the return voyage of a mission led by Zheng He which had taken the Ming forces to the west coast of the Indian subcontinent, including Quilon, Cochin and Calicut. According to the Ming texts, on the outward voyage, the Sri Lankan ruler Ya-lie-ku-nai-er (Alagakkonara) had been “insulting and disrespectful,” which meant obviously that he did not recognise the pre-eminence of the Ming and its envoys. He was also depicted as a local tyrant who “enticed” Zheng He back to the island, so that he could rob them. This, according to the official Ming history, is what gave rise to the hostilities by which Zheng He invaded the royal city, captured the king, destroyed his military and carried the king and his family members back to the court. As was the case in similar scenarios in Yun-nan, the Ming appointed a puppet ruler to replace the abductee, presumably tasked with acting in ways beneficial to the Ming.
The examples above suggest that the maritime forces sent abroad in the first third of the 15th century were intended to achieve the recognition of Ming preeminence among all the polities of the known maritime world. Those who would not recognise this supremacy of the Ming were subjected to military force. This is not to say that all polities needed military coercion. The economic benefits flowing from “tribute missions” suggests that some would likely have gladly sent tribute and personally travelled to the Ming court.
However, the number of Southeast Asian rulers travelling to China with the Zheng He missions suggests that coercion must have been an important element. There are very few other examples of rulers visiting other polities within Southeast Asia in this period, suggesting that some great pressure must have been imposed on them to encourage them to journey to the Ming court, and thereby demonstrate their subordinate status before the Chinese emperor.
Despite the regional variations, it is possible to observe a clear Ming policy of economic exploitation of frontier polities involving a progressive intensification of demands. After initial contacts through war or threats, the Ming state required large indemnities or other payments. This was subsequently systematised, following Chinese appointment or recognition of the local ruler, into a regular payment of gold or silver “in lieu of labour” ( 差發金/銀). At the same time, people of the region were drawn into the Chinese economy. When this process had proceeded sufficiently, poll or household taxes and commercial taxes were levied. The aim of this process was to reduce the economic independence of the local ruler of the polity and provide the economic means by which the Chinese state could meet the costs of increasing its own administration in these areas. Thereby, the formerly independent polity became a part of the Chinese state. During the 15th century, we see the Ming pursuing these policies among the polities it defeated or brought to submission by threats in Yun-nan and those temporarily gained in Đại Việt.

(later on at the end of the article)

Changes in Southeast Asian Political Topography – Malacca and Samudera
The control which the Ming exercised over the Straits of Malacca through their bases at either end of the Straits during the first third of the 15th century also had great effects on the political topography of the region. The support provided by the Ming to Malacca, underlined by the repeated visits to China by the Malaccan rulers, was almost certainly a quid pro quo for allowing the Ming to establish their base there. There seems to be general agreement among scholars that the rapid rise of Malacca in the 15th century was in part due to its close links with the Ming.
The Ming relationship with Samudra is much less clear from the sources, but the facts that the Ming had a major base on an island just off the Samudran coast, that the Samudran envoys often came to the court with those of Malacca and that the Ming forces appear to have fought a war to support Zainuli Abidin, the Samudran ruler, suggest that Ming support was also very important for the maintenance of that polity at least during the first third of the 15th century.
So yeah, seems more to me that the Ming were genocidal when it suited them and backed off when it suited them. None of that makes them good guys, it just makes them smart rulers.
------------
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanas wrote:Their own claims are enough here.
No, they are not. The Ming-Ho war has been the subject of some studies, but at no point the the total population of Vietnam was no more than three million people at the time (and most likely ~2 million), sorry. Long story short: bullshit. If you compare real casualties in the millions, like for example the Taiping rebellion, with fake millions that researches of Asian history know are fake, you are only further discrediting yourself.
Thanas wrote:Even if we allow for obvious embellishment this is still way too large to just be a matter of a mere thousands killed.
Except dozens of thousands of peole regularly perished in pre-industrial wars, and it still did not constitute genocide. So once again you fail to prove your claims. Just as expected. The real casualties of the Ming-Ho wars numbered in tens of thousands, and even these accounts are disputed by historians as the numbers claimed (for example, the Vietnamese claimed to defeat a 70 000 strong Ming force in 1427, but the likely real strength was below 50 thousand).
Thanas wrote:You argued their slaughter was genocidal
I argued no such thing. You put words in my mouth once again, and this will end real quick as my tolerance with your bullshit is running very fucking low, Thanas. You used the words "their "influence" (more like widespread genocidal slaughter)" in relation to the Chinese, while I mentioned genocide only in relation to the Americas.
Thanas wrote:Roman vessels were larger than carracks too
Roman vessels were coastal shit incapable of crossing the oceans, same goes for their navigation capabilities.
Thanas wrote:But still, that does not make them any less engaged, it makes them a peer competitor for influence in the region.
Vassal states is an old concept that predates colonialism by ages. Sorry, but that is in no ways equal or even comparable to the XVIII-XIX century colonialism.

And of course, you have not demonstrated any verifiable proof of the Ming being 'genocidal'. You have one more chance. If you try to bullshit once again with obviously fake numbers that exceed the total population of these regions manyfold, I will humbly bow as I have no time for bullcrap of this kind.

Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stas Bush wrote:
Thanas wrote:Their own claims are enough here.
No, they are not. The Ming-Ho war has been the subject of some studies, but at no point the the total population of Vietnam was no more than three million people at the time (and most likely ~2 million), sorry. Long story short: bullshit. If you compare real casualties in the millions, like for example the Taiping rebellion, with fake millions that researches of Asian history know are fake, you are only further discrediting yourself.
Well, I only go by what is quoted in the paper I linked to, I am no expert on Chinese or Vietnam populations. But still, even if it still just a "few tens of thousands" or so, that is still enough to far outweigh the slaughter the Portugese caused in their conquest of Malacca the chinese were reacting to.

And even more, even if it was "just" a few dozen thousands (if one battle has 50k troops it is more like to be over a 100k number deaths in civilians) then that still makes your claim that the Ming were this benevolent withdrawn power a huge lie. Again, your bias is clouding your judgement.

In fact, how about you establish a number for the people killed by the Portugese in their conquest of Malacca first before you make claims like how the Chinese were obviously more benevolent?
I argued no such thing. You put words in my mouth once again, and this will end real quick as my tolerance with your bullshit is running very fucking low, Thanas. You used the words "their "influence" (more like widespread genocidal slaughter)" in relation to the Chinese, while I mentioned genocide only in relation to the Americas.
No, don't try to weasel out of this. You used the genocidal connotation to rail against colonialism, as if colonialism was one size fits all. Now please provide proof the Portugese killed more people than the Chinese in their dealings with Asia in the late 16th century.
Thanas wrote:Roman vessels were larger than carracks too
Roman vessels were coastal shit incapable of crossing the oceans, same goes for their navigation capabilities.
And Portugese capabilities were widely beyond Chinese maritime capabilities too, so again, what is your point?
Vassal states is an old concept that predates colonialism by ages. Sorry, but that is in no ways equal or even comparable to the XVIII-XIX century colonialism.
Conquest is an old concept that predates colonialism and vassal states by ages ago as well. Don't try to weasel out of this by claiming one type of vassal (tribute by fear of force) is better than another (tribute by fear of force). It is not as if the Portugese ever settled there in the manner of the Anglo-Saxon conquest of Northern America either, or as if the Portugese colonialism is comparable in scale and impact to that one either.

Meanwhile, I love how you just gloss over the claims of economic coercion and exploitation on part of the Chinese. Guess it is not a bad thing when they do it.
If you try to bullshit once again with obviously fake numbers that exceed the total population of these regions manyfold, I will humbly bow as I have no time for bullcrap of this kind.
No no, please stay and defend your assertion how the Portugese were obviously far worse than the Ming in their dealings with other people.
------------
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanas wrote:Well, I only go by what is quoted in the paper I linked to, I am no expert on Chinese or Vietnam populations. But still, even if it still just a "few tens of thousands" or so, that is still enough to far outweigh the slaughter the Portugese caused in their conquest of Malacca the chinese were reacting to.
I am sorry, but that does not stand up to the slightest scrutiny. The actual 1419 Ming census indicated Vietnam had 3 129 500 inhabitants plus 2 087 500 million 'barbarians' (mountain tribesmen who were considered 'outside civilization' as they were unsinicized). The Mingshilu records were wrong - sometimes unintentionally, as the scribes making errors when rewriting, sometimes intentionally so. The total invading Ming force of 200 000 men was already superpower-big by the standards of the time, as it should have been since the Ming were in their age and place at least as powerful as the Romans... as were the battles and losses - in larger battles the Vietnamese casualties numbered in tens of thousands (e.g. 30 000), in smaller ones around 1-3 thousand.

Besides, the Ming wars in 1400s have nothing to do with the century-later Portuguese conquests in India, Americas and South-East Asia. One is not a reaction to the other.

The actual Chinese response to the Portugal attack on Malacca and its conquests in Asia led to even less deaths than Albuquerque's notorious Johor sackings. The Portuguese envoys and sailors who died in naval battles are all the casualties.
Thanas wrote:if one battle has 50k troops it is more like to be over a 100k number deaths in civilians
No, it does not work that way. Unlike modern warfare, the civilian death toll in pre-industrial warfare could be much smaller than that of the actual combat troops. The reason is simple, lack of arms. The Dai Viet forces were easily routed by the Ming during the invasion, and serious rebellions only became a problem after the Ming started reinstalling Chinese customs in Vietnam with the policy of banning nearly everything that independent Vietnamese culture had brought in the five centuries after Vietnam split from China. But even despite the bad blood Vietnam became a haven for Ming loyalists who later fled the country after the dynasty changed (in fact, there had been peace for three centuries between the China and Dai Viet after the Ming retreated).

What is even more interesting is that given the fairly large populations and military strength of major powers in South East Asia, most such wars were 'genocidal' given your strange logic. The Vietnamese conquest of Champa resulted in many dozens of deaths, at least sixty thousand slain during the sack of the capital, and a massive flight of refugees. Unlike Dai Viet with its millions, Champa is generally considered to have had a very small population base (less than one million). Would you consider Dai Viet being genocidal since it exterminated a large share of the Chams during the conquest? (I tend to hold the view that pre-industrial wars were rarely genocidal, although colonization that followed often was)
Thanas wrote:then that still makes your claim that the Ming were this benevolent withdrawn power a huge lie
I did not say the Ming were a totally withdrawn power. They were a regional power. Perhaps even a superpower of the age. But at no point they became a global maritime power, or a global land power like the Mongols. They did have the technology for that (the compass, for example, and firearms). What you fail to grasp is that the Ming were really reserved in intervention, like for example the Zheng He expeditions that you bring up. Comparing that to Columbus, who ushered an age of conquista and genocidal colonization of the Americas is preposterous, as the Chinese fleet was not used for such things and being discovered by China's naval emissaries did not mean later men with guns were going to come and murder or enslave your kin.
Thanas wrote:In fact, how about you establish a number for the people killed by the Portugese in their conquest of Malacca first before you make claims like how the Chinese were obviously more benevolent?
Portuguese were known for their religious fanaticism and intolerance; in Goa, which was conquered during the same period, they set up an inquisition, and in general considered killing heathens okay - their occupation force was fairly small and a reign of terror was the only thing that could really support their power in a land with zero cultural links. Just to remind you what kind of a person Albuquerque was.
Albuquerque, Morse Stephens wrote:As soon as the Portuguese were in entire possession of Goa, Albuquerque directed that the Muhammadan population, men, women and children, should be put to the sword. This cruel butchery is far more to Albuquerque's discredit than the hanging of Ruy Dias, for which the poet Camoens so strongly condemns him.
Albuquerque, Morse Stephens wrote:Albuquerque withdrew his men to their ships, after setting fire to the arsenal and beheading 150 of the principal Muhammadan prisoners whom he had in his possession.
History of India, edited by A. V. Williams Jackson wrote:In carrying out the doctrine of lawful war against all unbelievers, with whom no express compact existed to the contrary, the Portuguese were led into cruelties, in part common to that time, but in part arising from their peculiar position in Asia. Their force was so small that they thought it needful to punish without mercy any resistance or revolt. This necessity for terrorizing the superior numbers of their enemies may explain, though it can never excuse, the atrocities which stained their history in the East. Such severities became a fixed principle of their policy from the second voyage of Vasco da Gama in 1502. The Bishop Osorio blames Almeida (1505–1509) for torturing and executing the prisoners after the battle of Diu, and reprobates the conduct of a captain who in 1507 threw the crew of an Arab ship sewed up in sails into the sea, although they had not defended themselves and held a Portuguese passport. Almeida “blew his prisoners from guns before Cannanore, saluting the town with their fragments.” On the capture of Brava, the Portuguese soldiers “barbarously cut off the hands and ears of women, to take off their bracelets and earrings, to save time in taking them off.”

These were not exceptional barbarities. The permanent attitude of the Portuguese to all Asiatics who resisted was void of compunction.

To quote a few examples from contemporary manuscripts: a letter from João de Lima to the King of Portugal in 1518 speaks of the people of Daibul as “dogs” who “do not want but the sword in hand.” In 1535, at the capture of the petty island of Mete near Diu, “all were killed, without allowing a single one to live, and for this reason it was henceforward called the Island of the Dead.” In 1540 the Zamorin was compelled to agree to cast out of his dominions all who would not accept the terms imposed, “and if they should not wish to go, he will order them to be killed.” In 1546, says the official report of the siege of Diu, “we spared no life whether of women or children.”

I cut short the list of horrors. The Portuguese cruelties were deliberate rather than vindictive. Even a high-minded soldier and devout cavalier of the Cross like Albuquerque believed a reign of terror to be a necessity of his position, and that, in giving no quarter, he best rendered service to Christ and acted with the truest humanity in the long run to the heathen.
All cities captured by the Portuguese were subject to sacking and plunder; in Goa alone they killed 6 000 people, including women and children, because they were of Muslim faith. As you may know after the sacking of Goa, Malacca and Johor cities the Portuguese ruthlessly murdered many civilians, whole families, but they usually spared the widows. Albuquerque gave them as war trophies to their men; they were made slaves.

If you think that I am somehow saying the Portuguese were terrible just because Albuquerque killed a few thousand people, consider that in the same time, early 1500s, the Portuguese started their colonial expeditions under Cabral in the Americas. Their policy resulted in the rapid destruction of the Indians. Today's Brazil is basically a child of extermination.

Thankfully enough the Jesus fanatics failed miserably in South East Asia and India. A Portuguese India might have been an even worse sight to behold than the British one.
Thanas wrote:No, don't try to weasel out of this. You used the genocidal connotation to rail against colonialism, as if colonialism was one size fits all. Now please provide proof the Portugese killed more people than the Chinese in their dealings with Asia in the late 16th century.
The Portuguese did kill in the thousands when sacking cities, enslaved a massive piece of a continent and installed inquisition wherever they could. They also forged a maritime world-spanning empire by these killings and religicide. If they didn't fail hard versus the others, what we had in the form of the British Empire would be Portuguese. Considering they were Christian lunatics who burned people alive (though granted, most Europeans were) I do not see how this is in any way good or somehow better than the Ming war with Dai Viet, that used to be previously a part of China itself for hundreds of years. I wonder if you realize that Portugal was taking over places that never ever were part of Portugal, and shared no border neither common heritage. Unlike even the wars between France and Germany over lands belonging to one or the other, the British, Spanish, Dutch and Portuguese maritime conquests centered on places that were never theirs to begin with.
Thanas wrote:And Portugese capabilities were widely beyond Chinese maritime capabilities too, so again, what is your point?
At the time (1400s) the capabilities were almost equal, I would say. During the Portuguese conquests, however, the Ming abandoned the sea exploration for a whole century and obviously could not keep up.
Thanas wrote:It is not as if the Portugese ever settled there in the manner of the Anglo-Saxon conquest of Northern America either, or as if the Portugese colonialism is comparable in scale and impact to that one either.
It is quite comparable, you are right. Out of Brazil's native population a bare fraction survived. At the time of discovery Brazil had a larger native population than Portugal. I am not sure how the fuck that's even remotely comparable to taking over Vietnam. Well... if China killed all Vietnamese leaving 10% by the time Ming troops left Vietnam in 1420s, that might have been comparable. No wait. Brazil did not even leave. In fact the colonists forever changed the whole place... :lol:
Thanas wrote:Meanwhile, I love how you just gloss over the claims of economic coercion and exploitation on part of the Chinese. Guess it is not a bad thing when they do it.
It is a bad thing. What is also bad, and much worse, is burning people alive because God said so and killing people just because they are Muslims, and making natives all over Asia and South America into fucking slaves.
Thanas wrote:No no, please stay and defend your assertion how the Portugese were obviously far worse than the Ming in their dealings with other people.
I just did.

Assalti Frontali