NFL 2014 season

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Havok
Miscreant

Re: NFL 2014 season

Post by Havok »

Fucking ridiculous. The Bears should even be in this game, let alone leading now.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I fucking hate Kaepernick.

You're going into your fourth year in the league, learn to look off safeties you fucking dick head.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Did the Niners swap QBs with the Bears or something? Kap had a meltdown of Romoesque proportions. :shock:
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Lol I'm just glad my "don't die" meds kicked in and I woke up an hour after the shit show. :lol:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:DUDE! These automatic 1st downs need to be re-fucking-evaluated. How does a hand on a face mask automatically warrant 20 fucking yards on 3rd and 20? (just an example)
Yeah. Same thing as with hits on QBs - sounds like it is a roughing the passer as soon as he is hit hard.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Havok wrote:I fucking hate Kaepernick.

You're going into your fourth year in the league, learn to look off safeties you fucking dick head.
Everybody has bad games now n then.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

So just to remove any doubt of AP being an absolute piece of shit....link
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I love how he insists he's not a child abuser after he stuffed leaves in the mouth of a toddler and beat the kid until he had welts on his scrotum. He's every bit as much of a child abuser as Jerry Sandusky was a child molester, and deserves the same punishment.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

As much of a supporter of innocent until proven guilty as I am... I do have to admit I am wavering in this instance.

My point about my mom using the wooden spoon was that I know that parents can get out of hand and lose their tempers without it being a habitual thing. I really think that in this instance it is important to remember that.

That said, while all things point to him being very guilty, and while I know Thanas doesn't mind goosestepping in to throw him in the hole, we have a legal process that needs to be followed.

That said, I don't think he should be playing until his innocence is verified, doubting seriously that that will happen.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, losing your temper and lashing out is one thing.

But having a designated whopping room, carefully selecting a switch and then beating the kid bloody, including defensive wounds?
And there is also talk of other abuses, including regular whipping with belts?
And there being more than one case?

That points to a pattern.

If this was anybody but AP he'd be carted off already, but never fear, the Vikings (they of the Kluwe debacle) have decided that there is nothing to worry and plan to let him play.

BTW, the niners have an accused domestic abuser playing currently and the Panthers have finally decided to deactivate convicted abuser Greg Hardy.
------------
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Radisson hotels have just yanked their sponsorship.
Radisson Statement on the Minnesota Vikings

Minneapolis | September 15, 2014

Radisson takes this matter very seriously particularly in light of our long-standing commitment to the protection of children. We are closely following the situation and effective immediately, Radisson is suspending its limited sponsorship of the Minnesota Vikings while we evaluate the facts and circumstances.
Good for them.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Thanas wrote:Well, losing your temper and lashing out is one thing.

But having a designated whopping room, carefully selecting a switch and then beating the kid bloody, including defensive wounds?
And there is also talk of other abuses, including regular whipping with belts?
And there being more than one case?

That points to a pattern.
I agree.
If this was anybody but AP he'd be carted off already, but never fear, the Vikings (they of the Kluwe debacle) have decided that there is nothing to worry and plan to let him play.
I agree again.
BTW, the niners have an accused domestic abuser playing currently and the Panthers have finally decided to deactivate convicted abuser Greg Hardy.
The difference is that they haven't even charged McDonald yet and they've moved his court date to investigate further which usually means they don't have enough evidence or there are discrepancies in what they do have.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Havok wrote:
Thanas wrote:
The difference is that they haven't even charged McDonald yet and they've moved his court date to investigate further which usually means they don't have enough evidence or there are discrepancies in what they do have.
I really don't get the indignant attitude I see from so many people, particularly media talking heads, regarding Ray McDonald continuing to play. The 49ers know more than we do, therefore they must feel that he isn't guilty of the accusations against him. You don't sit a guy who professes his innocence before the investigation is complete. There is a reason our society believes in granting bail to people accused of a crime prior to trial. If it turns out that he's guilty, it's not as though he is going to escape punishment. And if he's not guilty, sitting him against his will before hand only means punishing both your team and an innocent man for no good reason.

I also don't understand why everyone is suddenly judging the NFL as though the organization itself raised the men who played in it and taught them the relationship skills (or lack thereof) that they exhibit. These are not internal league issues, they are public criminal ones. It is primarily the governments responsibility to prosecute and punish domestic abusers - In theory, those laws and punishments should be of the right amount of severity that having paid that debt to society a person should be able to move on with their lives.

The fact that the NFL tacks on additional punitive measures, regardless of what they are, should be viewed as taking a stronger stance against domestic violence than the government itself does, and yet you have these fucking idiots in congress and other government positions lambasting the NFL for not being "harsher" in dealing with Ray Rice. THAT'S NOT THEIR JOB, THAT IS YOUR JOB. Pass stronger domestic violence laws if you don't feel the ones in place are severe enough. Don't write letters and complain that the NFL failed to be an adequate police force for your own failings as law makers.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The reason people are going at the NFL and in particular Goodell, is because it stinks of a coverup or sweeping shit under the rug and hoping it goes away. Goodell is also just a hypocritical piece of shit... "Player safety is our number one concern... LETS ADD MORE REGULAR SEASON GAMES AND PLAYOFF GAMES!"

Plus I hate his fucking gross chin.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Havok wrote:The reason people are going at the NFL and in particular Goodell, is because it stinks of a coverup or sweeping shit under the rug and hoping it goes away. Goodell is also just a hypocritical piece of shit... "Player safety is our number one concern... LETS ADD MORE REGULAR SEASON GAMES AND PLAYOFF GAMES!"

Plus I hate his fucking gross chin.
Yeah I think the NFL has gone the wrong way here. Especially given the fact that apparently Ray Rice was completely honest about what happened during his disciplinary meeting. They should have stuck to the story that they didn't need to see the tape, that they realize the guidelines they had for domestic violence were too lenient which is why they revised the policy and moved forward. Then there is no coverup to try and address. Of course with the retroactive extension of Ray Rice's ban, they need to make out like Ray Rice lied to them about what happened and stick to the story that they "never saw the tape". Otherwise, I expect it will be overturned on appeal because even under the new "tougher" guidelines he would have only gotten 6 games as it is his first offense. And I further expect it may very well cost Goodell his job if he did indeed participate in a cover up.

But I'm drifting away from the real point I'm trying to make... Goodell may very well suck as a commissioner, and I've thought for a long time the discipline system shouldn't be with a neutral third party. But why are so many acting like its the NFL's job to curb domestic violence? It's not. That's the government's Job. If the laws and penalties under which Ray Rice was judged say he gets a fine, counseling, and probation, then why should a private organization be expect to "make up" for the supposed injustice of it all? This did not occur at an NFL facility or sanctioned event. Going after the NFL and Roger Goodell for not "cracking down" is fucking asinine. At this point, it seems like a shameless publicity grab for people in the media, politicians, and others who otherwise can't get five minutes on TV.

The players are people, and will have the problems people have. As a subset of the population, the NFL actually has lower crime and domestic assaults per capita than the National Average. That doesn't indicate an institutional problem, if anything it indicates an institutional strength. But now I have to hear that there is "something wrong with the league?". Not to an objective observer there isn't...
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I think you may have misread the outcome of that analysis. Relative to the general population, yes, the NFL is lower. Relative to people of similar affluence and poverty rates, NFL players' domestic violence rate is much higher.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Terralthra wrote:I think you may have misread the outcome of that analysis. Relative to the general population, yes, the NFL is lower. Relative to people of similar affluence and poverty rates, NFL players' domestic violence rate is much higher.
Which ignores that the vast majority of NFL players are "new money" that came from much more impoverished backgrounds. Further, many of them would likely be working blue collar jobs if they didn't have athletic skills. They are more akin to rockstars or lottery winners than the majority of "blue bloods". Having money and fame suddenly thrust upon them doesn't suddenly mean that the environment they grew up in, and how they were raised goes away. The larger point is that its not as if NFL players are a bunch of thugs outside the norm for the nation as a whole, trying to break those numbers down by relative levels of "affluence" ignores so many other factors as to be useless.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Really, professional athletes should be their own category. For the most part they are poor until the hit 21-23, then millionaires. HOWEVER all throughout college they are treated as celebrities and told how great they are by everyone. It's definitely a weird demographic.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Why can't I be a fair weather fan? Fucking Bucs...
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

At this rate the Falcons are going to score 70.

Update: Only 15 to go.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Well, at least they got a couple TDs? I can only assume Atlanta subbed in a high school JV defense when nobody was looking.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

RogueIce wrote:Well, at least they got a couple TDs? I can only assume Atlanta subbed in a high school JV defense when nobody was looking.
I think the starters got benched at the end of the third or thereabouts. What a lame game.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I hereby dub the Buccaneers the Dumpster Fire of 2014. Holy fucksticks did that team lay down without a fight!

Oh well, now they have ten days to get ready for a desperate Steelers team in Pittsburgh. Shit, I don't see a game on their schedule where I'd give them a 50/50 chance of winning.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

ESPN
So now it is official what I have feared - there was a coverup by the ravens and the league and our leadership looks like crap (with the exception of Harbaugh).
------------
------------
My LPs