Recomendation: AC unit for an inconvenient window

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darmalus
Jedi Master

Recomendation: AC unit for an inconvenient window

Post by Darmalus »

I want to get an AC unit, but I need some guidance.

I currently live in a room of a rather old apartment that predates household air conditioning. The walkway presses directly against the outside wall and I neither want to block the path nor blast the neighbors in the face with a jet of hot air every time they pass. Some way to route the waste heat away is desired.

There is probably a solution to this issue, I just don't know the right key words to find it.

I've been making due with a fan in the window, but that's easily overwhelmed by a few guests and I'm going to be here at one more summer before I get my degree and move on.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Recomendation: AC unit for an inconvenient window

Post by Borgholio »

So to clarify, if you put a standard window AC in there, the exhaust would blow onto the walkway were people pass by? How heavily is the walkway used? How big is the walkway? Are we talking about a large number of people who could be inconvenienced by the A/C or only a few? Would it physically block the path or just blow air on it?

If it's just a question of air I'd say don't worry about it. Unless it's blasting the exhaust right into someone's open window I wouldn't think it's a problem. If it's physically blocking the walkway, then I'd say go for a portable A/C unit. The exhaust tube is small and doesn't extend out the window nearly as much as a normal A/C.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Unfortunately around 20 people have no choice but to walk past my window to get to and from the parking lot, so anything that sticks out is unacceptable. What I think of as a "normal" AC unit would force people to duck under it.

My main concern is not being an asshole, really. If I can direct the hot air away from people's faces I guess that would be good enough.

Edit: Looking up portable AC units, I think I get what you mean about the exhaust tube. I've never been to a place that didn't have either central air or window units.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

How about a portable air conditioner? Something like in this image?

73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Unfortunately around 20 people have no choice but to walk past my window to get to and from the parking lot, so anything that sticks out is unacceptable. What I think of as a "normal" AC unit would force people to duck under it.
Then a portable AC would do fine then. It fits in the window like a window fan does, but doesn't stick out so people won't have to duck under it. SCRawl's linked image is a good example. The only downside is it's a bit more expensive but it does work very well.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Borgholio wrote:
Then a portable AC would do fine then. It fits in the window like a window fan does, but doesn't stick out so people won't have to duck under it. SCRawl's linked image is a good example. The only downside is it's a bit more expensive but it does work very well.
The portable AC unit has the same "incinerate passers-by" problem that a normal window AC unit does (that exhaust tube gets quite warm.) Though, since it doesn't stick out, a bit of improvised carpentry might work to deflect the hot air down at their feet.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

The portable AC unit has the same "incinerate passers-by" problem that a normal window AC unit does (that exhaust tube gets quite warm.) Though, since it doesn't stick out, a bit of improvised carpentry might work to deflect the hot air down at their feet.
Dryer vent maybe? One of those aluminum pipes that is designed to handle exhaust heat from a clothes dryer. Hose-clamp it on the end of stock exhaust tube and you can point it whichever way you choose.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Well the hose is flexible so once out the window angle it up and fix it in place so the hot air goes straight up away from people walking past.
DO NOT extend the hose that comes with the AC, the fan will struggle to push the hot air out (these things are built to a budget) decreasing efficiency and possibly causing the compressor to overheat. And eventually to burn out completely.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Darth Nostril wrote:Well the hose is flexible so once out the window angle it up and fix it in place so the hot air goes straight up away from people walking past.
DO NOT extend the hose that comes with the AC, the fan will struggle to push the hot air out (these things are built to a budget) decreasing efficiency and possibly causing the compressor to overheat. And eventually to burn out completely.
Well you don't have to use a full 6-foot dryer vent. Just get a 45 degree elbow and use that. Should work fine.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

You might also consider cheaply building this.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Raw Shark wrote:You might also consider cheaply building this.
Tried it, doesn't work nearly well enough to cool anything not directly next to the vent. The portable AC is the best bet here.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
darkjedi521
Youngling

Post by darkjedi521 »

Borgholio wrote:
Darth Nostril wrote:Well the hose is flexible so once out the window angle it up and fix it in place so the hot air goes straight up away from people walking past.
Well you don't have to use a full 6-foot dryer vent. Just get a 45 degree elbow and use that. Should work fine.
I think the correct part you want is a vent hood. They're also useful in keeping things out of the pipe too, just by sheltering it a bit (or you can get one with a flapper on it).
Ex ASVS lurker and sometimes poster