Mythbusters loses the sidekicks

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Re: Mythbusters loses the sidekicks

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Teaching people to cook is a very, very good thing. If you can learn to make your own food, a skill that is sadly lacking in too many people, then you can eat much healthier and spend less money on food. Put it into something else. Remember, learning about how you cook many different things will teach you how to cook in general.

If we're going with "deeper understanding of the world around us" then I would guess that for most people learning about imaginary numbers doesn't really count as educational? Most people don't deal with anything that knowing about imaginary numbers will help them understand better.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:If we're going with "deeper understanding of the world around us" then I would guess that for most people learning about imaginary numbers doesn't really count as educational? Most people don't deal with anything that knowing about imaginary numbers will help them understand better.
Huh?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

I just find it silly to say that something isn't "really" educational for not leading to a deeper understanding of the world around us. Imaginary numbers will just confuse most people, for example, rather than leading to a better understanding of how things work. They get to them in algebra and wonder what the hell a fake number could ever be used for. If we go by the qualifier Elheru was using, most mathematics wouldn't be "educational" for most people.

Now, defining if something is actually useful in the real world can be viable. Crafting? Sell that shit on Etsy, just relax and feel better about everything... Crafting may be unlikely to be lucrative, but it's definitely one of those things that can do really good things for someone's self-esteem and is a rather good way to relieve stress. Origami cranes are far less likely to lead to liver damage than, say, alcohol. And cooking shows I've already mentioned.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.