Dreams

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darmalus
Jedi Master

Re: Dreams

Post by Darmalus »

I used to have lots of dreams in my teens and early 20s, but I can't recall a single dream in years. Not even the sensation of having a dream and forgetting it. I just close my eyes and suddenly it's morning.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

I don't dream that often. Though there is a recurring nightmare I have once every few years. I'm mildly scared of spiders, used to worse when I was younger but I've gotten better. The motif is that rather larger, huntsman like spiders can mind control humans and have taken over the world. They can phase through objects, jump large distances, and kill those they can't control. They control people by attaching to the back of the head.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I keep a pretty deep record of mine, been writing them down for years and posted them in the past.. Here are some newer ones...
Stage one,
Dream starts outside in a desert just wondering around some old abandoned buildings, (thought as usually my brain thinks of fixing them up) I set down my ipad (where did that come from?) and some random RV comes by, it looks ratty and run down. All of a sudden a creepy old lady comes out picks up the iPad, I rush inside to get it from her, and I actually slap her to get it back!
I feel horrible and run back outside.
When I get back outside it is “later on” and I see the old lady is having dinner with family, thanks giving? They actually seem pretty nice and I apologize for slapping her. For whatever reason the RV is now much bigger and nicer. We all go inside and head off.

Stage two.
I am “dropped off” elsewhere from the RV.
I find myself in a Walgreens type place looking out at cards. I pick up a heavy metal birthday card (Seriously WTF?) and inside it has been filled out by someone else, “Hey there, look me up Im staying in motel number xxx” some sort of pickup card? Then, “something” happened, I am talking to a guy in the store and I have my iPad out. He wants my number, and I think to give him a fake one because I am…on the run from law? (I have no idea why my brain thinks this) I leave and I am in Colorado now, and taking with family.

Stage Three
Suddenly I am a reporter? Or am I pretending to be one? I want to get to another city in Colorado, partly just to “hang out” I say I want to interview some political nutjub. It is suddenly election night and I am in a mad dash to get to the city.
I am in airport, I was going to take bus or Taxi to other city, but had to be there FAST. I take a small plane instead (stupid move). I get inside and find myself sitting next to pilot. He is kind of rude, we take off and he is smoking! I say something and he starts blowing smoke ((Hey you watch the road instead)) suddenly we are in snowstorm and naturally the plane is going down.
We aren’t that high but some how we are still crashing… And crashing. My brain ‘remembers’ I “took control” of the dream to avoid crashing, but somehow fucked things up and… Then…
“Flabber Happens”
My brain actually says this…
Music starts playing, and a hole opens up in the world, it stretches and opens up and I think it is blackhole? But it acts more like portal. We drop through.. and then drop through again.. And again… Each time the plane is back up in the air (to avoid crashing) but falls back. And then I notice that each time it passes the portal, time is “shifting” and the world is going weird...

Stage Four
Suddenly we are way WAY in the future. There is one of those time montages, where buildings decay, plants grow fast, the world changes, stuff overgrows etc. The “portal/hole” becomes plugged and is filled with water. And… somehow there music is playing, the whole time there is music in the background, I think it is just background music from the video game.
I say ‘outloud’ “Where is the music coming from” it is real, it is coming from somewhere… I get into the clogged hole/pool, and enlist help of two weird creatures…
We start “digging” into the hole, chipping away crud and then we find something in a case playing music… At first I think how it can still have power, then suddenly there are it has solar panels.. I think, “that’s what did it, it kept itself charged all these years because of solar panels.” (My brain really works to overcome things) I didn’t open it up, part of it seems broken, but I ‘knew’ it was my iPad from the past!!!

Stage Five
Now it is suddenly like Walle ending.
Suddenly humans are everywhere! They come back, building new empires, and there is huge council. There is a tribe that is like Romans, another like medievally castle group. And another group my brain remembered as “The Frog Empire?” I am there with some of the creatures and everyone is arguing, trying to hold some sort of meeting with treaties about Humans taking back the world after it collapsed. Somehow my iPad is involved.
“no don’t touch it, it is a holy relic!” I don’t want anyone to take it, but I know if I touch it the music will stop… Finally I hear someone talking about “the needs of the many out way needs of the one” I take it to be…political…
I shout up and begin to talk about helping poor, everyone needs help, the needs of one person is just as important, everyone is mumbling but then I suddenly am holding the iPad and it’s all new again…
“He is the chosen one!” I get made some sort of Emperor and…. Then the alarm goes off

:P
The dream starts off in a huge 1930’s office tower that my mind seemed to think was the Empire state building ((although from the shape it was clearly not)) I had a vivid sense of opulent rooms and much of the office tower must have been a very posh luxury hotel. I watched ‘cortisone’ invited to the bedroom of some wealthy businessman. I remember being more distracted by the room and the decorations then what took place in the bedroom.
Time skip forward. Suddenly I am camping in a desert over looking the city, I can still see the office tower far in the distance. I have my iPhone out taking pictures and it feels like “modern” times. Fireworks start going off and I feel it is new years.
Time skip again, suddenly it is the far future. It is new years again, but now flying cars, spaceships over head. There is an election going on, I hear people talking about the economy and politics. I am also back at the office tower attending some sort of party at the pent house. Suddenly there are explosions, some sort of terrorist attack on the party…

Here the Dream diverged, the first time I had the dream, I ‘time shifted’ again to escape.

The first iteration, after the time skip, I found myself way WAY far in the future. The city, and the tower were now ruins. From nowhere there is suddenly a massive gleaming army of ‘Space Romans’ they are coming to reclaim Earth apparently after conquering much of the galaxy. Facing of is another ‘Galactic Empire’ evidently full of mutants, aliens, and weird animal things. Big battle, Mutants using super powers to blow back whole legions of the Space Romans. In the fighting is the Roman Emperor, as well as a bodyguard always at his side. He boasts his legions are unstoppable and endless, that it is only a matter of time before they conquer the other Empire. Suddenly I am the Emperor of the OTHER Empire, I sue for peace and yield. There are peace talks, tea parties, and evidently impressing Space Romans. The sequence ends with me in a private meeting with Roman Emperor and his Bodyguard, discussing how they will have to get used to their pure human ideology accepting aliens and mutants and others. I suddenly realize his ‘bodyguard’ is in fact his lover “Se we aren’t that different after all?” Dream ends… And then Resets.

Second iteration… Everything up to the penthouse party seems the same. But then when the attack happens, I seem to be in the “wrong spot” I get caught up in an explosion and to save myself I ‘Flash freeze’ everything. When I come to the world is indeed frozen, the city is in ruins again and it is even farther in the future. I go down from the tower to find the Space Romans yet again. This time they have already started a full-scale attack of the other Empire and have already retaken Earth. I find the area round the tower seems ‘preserved’ and spend some time looking at half frozen 1930’s looking buildings and an mix of futuristic and retro mansions. The Space Romans have come to the area and I once gain met their Emperor and his ‘Bodyguard’. We end up in a warehouse full of strange electric devices, weird ornate vacuum tube machines. Utterly at random, there is a crazed Nicholas Tesla. He goes on about trying to tame ‘living electricity’ suddenly energy jumps out from one of the devices and attacks the Emperor. The bodyguard leaps in and is killed protecting the Emperor, enraged he storms off and soon after the place is being bombarded from space, the surface soon begins to turn to molten rock. I escape up to the tower, which is slowly sinking into lava as the city ruins are blasted from orbit. I actually felt genuine fear as the molten rock came up right up beneath me.
At the LAST possible moment I am rescued by a passing space and flee.
Shortly after that end, I woke up and started writing everything down.

SO pretty weird crap, but hey, I am sure others out there have had equally intense dreams?
I had a weird short dream where I was “Coop” from MEGAS-XLR

….. After a long time defending the anime knock off power-ranger world, I/coop get bored of always saving the day and decide to go on vacation.
Of course the “power rangers” beg me/Coop not to go.
I tell them that other “heros” are coming out of the woodwork and can stand in for me, but they say there is only one MEGAS and nothing is as bad ass!
Now they of course built their own combining anime robot...
“See that? It’s not Megas, it will never be Megas, but you guys know how to build advanced robots LIKE Megas, so tell you what…. I’ll Loan you MEGAS so you can figure out what makes him work, what powers he uses, and then you can make yourselves another one!”
Then I think of all the ways it could “go horribly wrong” because of anime plot, and tell them NOT to paint it red, but paint it blue. Also next to tell them to install a dozen different self destruct devices for when I figured someone would obviously try and steal it and do evil with it.

Eventually they build a bunch of “New Megas” robots, which obviously aren’t as good as the originally, but they seem to give the Power Rangers back their confidence and they go off and Save the Day again!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Melchior wrote:The "difficult to handle or broken car" motif is probably related to worry about what is outside one's control.
I never get this one for some reason, which is strange because I drive all the time and have (usually boring) dreams about driving all the time. It does sometimes team up with the falling dreams, though; last time I was driving on one of those rickety old wooden roller coasters for some reason in my taxi, including stopping to pick up passengers.
Melchior wrote:EDIT: I often experience sleep paralysis.
This has happened to me a few times, with all the classic symptoms including the feeling that somebody else is in the room just out of sight. It scared the living fuck out of me the first time, when I didn't know what it was: I managed to convince myself that somebody had broken in, snapped my neck, and was setting up to torture me to death.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

My dreams are usually of me doing utterly mundane things in an utterly mundane city/world that is completely different from anywhere I've actually been, except in my dreams. The dream world is consistent from dream to dream, or at least it seems to be, its just someplace I haven't actually been to.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I dreamed that I was someone haunted by children ghost for some reason. Then I got some fancy charm and the ghosts chouldn't hurt me. Then I got involved in other people's ghost business and stuff.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

I have sleep paralysis from time to time which can get pretty scary at times in my dream state.

I will partially wake up and be able to see but my body is still paralyzed. If I let my mind wonder I will proceed to see or hear something in the dark or sense imminent doom approaching me. Then I will start levitating off my bed and begin being pulled and tossed around by this malevolent force
Lagmonster wrote:
Raw Shark wrote:I dream that my teeth are falling out a lot, so fast that I might choke on them, or producing shrapnel when I chew something. I am told by years of Psych that this is common.
Another common one for adults is, apparently, the dream that you are driving from the back seat, or don't fit into your car properly, or that the car is oddly shaped or missing key parts. I have no idea though; I don't know any psychology or psychologists.
Teeth falling out is a very common dream for me. I imagine that it is related to fear of losing teeth which in turn is fear of getting older.

I've had dream of driving from the back seat while standing over the front seat to drive the car fearing that I was going to crash. I guess that's related to fear of losing control.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I recently had a series of dreams that all revolved about me escaping a post apocalyptic survival bunker infested with gremlins. Thing is, the gremlins were actually friendly and cute. Well as much as movie gremlins go anyway. Felt like a bastard for disturbing them.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

had one last night - a group of us pinned down on top of a wooden fort while some twat shot arrows at us. rest of the group was wounded or or out of it, so I sat there upright to draw his fire, trying to catch the arrows in an increasingly mangled hand. Eventually he ran out of arrows and I beat him to death with a sheet of plywood.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

madd0ct0r wrote:had one last night - a group of us pinned down on top of a wooden fort while some twat shot arrows at us. rest of the group was wounded or or out of it, so I sat there upright to draw his fire, trying to catch the arrows in an increasingly mangled hand. Eventually he ran out of arrows and I beat him to death with a sheet of plywood.

...Have you been playing Rust?
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

nope, that's just one of my rare dreams I remember.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Had a dream a few days ago where everything was normal, except for the fact that every woman had a beard, and I'm talking full lumberjack man beards. Apparently, in this alternate dream world it was normal for women to have beards, everyone else was acting like it was normal but I was going WTF and having a good case of cognitive dissonance.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

A few weeks ago I had a dream where I met a 5 year old half-sister (who looked like my mother's side of the family, not my father's), who I was tasked with keeping safe while I was pursued through town by a cabal of evil Rickshaw drivers, only for me to be saved by a women who I went to high school with (whom I didn't even fancy!).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Korvan
Jedi Master

Post by Korvan »

I have the occasional endless peeing dreams. The way it almost always happens is that I'm about to do something awesome, like pilot a jet or something, but I have to pee first. Once, and only once mind you, I actually finished and got to go on to captain a submarine, only to wonder why the deck was covered in a foot of water.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I had a dream where I was in this large-ish building, probably built into a mountain for some reason, brightly lit and warm. But full of various people. And I wanted to get out.
I had only a small box to call my own and with little stuff in it.
I think the people around me were family-ish people, including my distant cousins. But everything was just too full and too active all the time. And I wanted out, choosing to brave the cold.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

One of my best dreams a few years back went something like this: I was standing at the top of a mountain that suddenly overlooks my hometown, when suddenly several Star Destroyer - like ship appear in the sky. I'm some kind of superhero in this, so I fly at supersonic speeds at them, and start taking them down one by one. It was fucking awesome.
My dreams have certainly gotten more interesting and less terrifying in the last 5 years or so...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I love flying dreams. I can actually feel the wind at my face as I soar through the sky and between buildings. When I realize I'm dreaming, however, it's the equivalent of Wile E Coyote running off a cliff and defying gravity until he looks down at his feet. Not fun. :)
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Another thing that fascinates me with dreams is how your brain sometimes takes in the sounds from around you and incorporates it into the dream. Thunder for example, has sometimes become a dumpster truck or a landslide in my dreams. Anyone else experienced this?
How about backstories in dreams? Several times it's like I've been living in an alternate timeline in dreams, and I can recall dream 'memories' as easily as I can do it in the real world. For example, I once dreamed that one of my school friends died, and then I 'remembered' that he was undergoing some kind of operation a few days ago. He wasn't IRL, of course, but within the dream it all felt so natural.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Anyone else experienced this?
Yes. Alarm clock buzzers, barking dogs, TV shows, my phone ringing...sometimes they show up in the dream as their real life counterpart. Usually when that happens I'm seconds from waking up anyways but for a brief moment a real sound does turn into it's dream counterpart.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Same thing with pissing or other bodily functions. I've been dreaming, started thinking "hmm I need to take a leak", wake up and then have to run to the john.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

I had a dream last night, I don't remember much of it, but I was either playing halo, or was a Spartan in the haloverse.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I dreamed I was starting to develop telekinesis last night. It started off with simply focusing on small objects and pushing or pulling them away, and then gradually developed into levitating things, moving them freely around and moving several things at once. I showed it off to my parents, who were at first stunned but quickly found it awesome. It was remarkably realistic as well, very clear and stable, didn't get too weird or fuzzy.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

A few days ago I dreamed that I had some sort of holodeck device and programmed some made up movie with a younger Susan Sarandon (around her thirties to early forties). In one particular scene she and a young blonde woman were having a conversation in a kitchen except they were stark naked. It was fine by me as I was going to bang Susan from behind (it was a holodeck simulation). I got behind her and suddenly knelt down and smelled her butt. That was it.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Fucked the living shit out of my cousin. She's hot, but :?

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Sooner or later, everyone has a dream wherein they're willingly doing something risky they would never, ever do in real life. Could be as mundane as showing up to work naked or some kind of messed up circus orgy. It's not generally an indication of a real life desire.

'Course, I'm assuming Raw Shark didn't post to the wrong thread by accident.