Anyone else watching this? The Last Ship...

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Anyone else watching this? The Last Ship...

Post by Mr. Coffee »

So far this ship is the ship doesn';t know/doesn't have a way around certain things. The visrus is still there. Wht the fuck..... (Seriously, try dealing with Danny's shit). This is wrong? Maybe, I just wanted to bring this show up. It's really fucking difficult to just brng up, the show makes it that way.

Just watch, comment if you can or want. Just watch.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Anyone else watching this? The Last Shp...

Post by Iroscato »

You make an adorable drunk poster (I assume you're shitfaced).
But I will bear it in mind :mrgreen:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Chimaera wrote:You make an adorable drunk poster (I assume you're shitfaced).
I wish I was. THis show really kinda wish I was kidding or even just joking about the level of there virus(seriously, Idon't know.) Christ, this show is going sideways already.

\Are you watching or no?

I can't say nothing [ast that. vYou have to watch to do the same.

It's Shep-Fic, times ten. Are you with me?
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Ok, again, anyone living or just looking at this show?
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

This is the show with Michael Bay involved right? On that merit alone it gets a fairly low ranking on my list.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Chimaera wrote:This is the show with Michael Bay involved right? On that merit alone it gets a fairly low ranking on my list.
Ok, I was trying to say this show was something else, but you have your own interpretation. I was trying to say, well, fuck, something else, now I can'. Say what you will then,

I said What I could, fuck you, say your own shit now.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I've seen the pilot. Pretty decent start. I'll have to wait and see how it goes from here, though.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

It's got Adam Baldwin asa the XO of a ship. It;s every bit as awesome as ait sounds to. Just not sure where they plan to go wit it as it the plot is basicaly "nasty ass virus accidentia;lly humanity, but maybe we have a possible kinda sorta way to make a cure?..." thing going on. So maybe it's a zombie flick without zombies, bt there's Russians and shooting, so maybe it's just breakdown ofsciety shit, not sure. To early to tell, only two episodes in. Little hokey with the military detils, but it's a TV show, so whatever. Good pacing, though they really need to tone down the whole "Its my ship, my crew, STOP ENDANGERING THEM" thing with the captian (seriously, he plays the "my crew" card three times in just the first episode). Good stuff so far.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I've seen the second episode now. Pretty good stuff, and an interesting cliffhanger. Wonder if the Russkies sank the poor HMS Suffolk or if that was just a ruse all along? If so, good on them for managing to get a woman with a British accent and whatever those codes were to pull it off. Hopefully they at least mention it next episode.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Welf
Padawan Learner

Post by Welf »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Chimaera wrote:You make an adorable drunk poster (I assume you're shitfaced).
I wish I was. THis show really kinda wish I was kidding or even just joking about the level of there virus(seriously, Idon't know.) Christ, this show is going sideways already.

\Are you watching or no?

I can't say nothing [ast that. vYou have to watch to do the same.

It's Shep-Fic, times ten. Are you with me?
You get to this state while sober? You must save a lot of money on beer.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Welf wrote:You get to this state while sober? You must save a lot of money on beer.
Look, everyone! Some random jackoff made a "hurr hur, Coffee's was drunk, hurrrrrrr...." post! Let's all give this man our admiration for making such a socking find! It's like he's made a discovery!

Seriously, Welf, nothing you can say can embarrass me more than I do for myself. So how about you shut your ass up or post about the topic of the goddamn thread, pal?
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

I've watched both episodes so far. Overall, some things that make me groan (like having eurocopter and H-53 helicopters get called 'Russian helicopters' by SEALs). But I'm gonna stick with it cause Adam Baldwin and lack of anything better on Sunday nights.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Anyone else watching this? The Last Ship...

Post by LadyTevar »

The novel this is based on is also "The Last Ship", but it was set Cold War and the Incident was (of course) Nuclear War. I think updating the show to today's boogyman - The Virus - may work better.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

LadyTevar wrote:The novel this is based on is also "The Last Ship", but it was set Cold War and the Incident was (of course) Nuclear War. I think updating the show to today's boogyman - The Virus - may work better.
Since they're doing this as a series, rather than a miniseries or TV movie, I figured this was the best route they could take. The whole "search for a cure" thing lets them have some legs with their concept that I can't really see the "sole survivors of nuclear war" having, at least over multiple (if they get renewed, of course) seasons.

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Do they deal with the ship's fuel and food stores? One of my problems with the premise is that the ship isn't nuclear so it's going to have a tough time running for long even if they are somehow able to keep it stocked with food.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Tsyroc wrote:Do they deal with the ship's fuel and food stores? One of my problems with the premise is that the ship isn't nuclear so it's going to have a tough time running for long even if they are somehow able to keep it stocked with food.
They're doing the supply thing by raiding bases. Only three episodes in yet, so I'm wondering how much of the show will actually be supply raids or critical supply issues. But at least the Captain is getting less in your face with the "I can't risk my crew" shit.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Tsyroc wrote:Do they deal with the ship's fuel and food stores? One of my problems with the premise is that the ship isn't nuclear so it's going to have a tough time running for long even if they are somehow able to keep it stocked with food.
So far that's been a major issue. First when they left the Arctic they had to go steal fuel from an abandoned cruise ship off the coast of France, as well as looting their canned goods and anything sealed. Which wasn't ideal for them but it was all they had at the time.

Then, after a trans-Atlantic voyage they were running low on fuel and food again and went to Gitmo. Which is where the second episode ended so we'll see what they do from there. They have talked about sailing at "max conserve" though which A) makes sense and B) should hopefully keep them from making the show "The Last Ship: Searching For Fuel" which would get boring after awhile, even if it is realistic.

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

RogueIce wrote:
So far that's been a major issue. First when they left the Arctic they had to go steal fuel from an abandoned cruise ship off the coast of France, as well as looting their canned goods and anything sealed. Which wasn't ideal for them but it was all they had at the time.

Then, after a trans-Atlantic voyage they were running low on fuel and food again and went to Gitmo. Which is where the second episode ended so we'll see what they do from there. They have talked about sailing at "max conserve" though which A) makes sense and B) should hopefully keep them from making the show "The Last Ship: Searching For Fuel" which would get boring after awhile, even if it is realistic.
As long as they are dealing with it somewhat realistically. Most Navy related dramas take me out of the show very easily by not making much of an effort in keeping things realistic. Although, I had someone ask me about something from the movie Battleship that she thought looked goofy and not real. The characters were wearing the flash hoods that the USN does actually wear during GQ. So I guess sometimes the people making these shows/movies just can't win. :)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

I just watched the Pilot and felt that the helicopter attack suffered from some poor shot angles- it looked like the destroyer got hit by the rockets but the lack of any visible damage whatsover later must have meant the rockets were blown up by the CIWS, and the angles they used to show it were not really good at showing that.

Anyway, surely it wouldn't have cost that much to CGI a Hind rather than the obvious american helicopter :P
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Wonder whats going to happen to the two people piloting the bomber boat. I'm an episode behind so they might have covered that this last sunday.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Regarding the Russian Cruiser and it's nutcase admiral
Spoiler
I totally feel that the chubby officer is going to backstab him eventually - look had how often the camera focuses on his disgruntled face :P
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

dragon wrote:Wonder whats going to happen to the two people piloting the bomber boat. I'm an episode behind so they might have covered that this last sunday.
They were picked up. Don't ask me how when they ditched right next to the Russian ship, but we do see them back on the Nathan James at the end.

dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

on the epsiode where they had the possible outbreak the captain gives the lt punishment of two weeks and some jargon. Does anyone know what the lt was talking about?
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

This show is seriously dumb but beautifully shot. Set design is superb (Kanastrous? You working on this?).

The story makes no sense whatsoever. Especially because the Virus seems to be of the big bad threat trope that suddenly is not as dangerous as it seems.

Portrayal of Russians was xenophobic and hilarious, almost out of a West-Ukraine propaganda movie. Supposed genius admiral acts like he hasn't gotten a brain, from the ill-executed and nonsensical attack on the destroyers by helis and then risking a ship that is capable of getting a lock from up to 700km away (previously demonstrated in an episode as well) by steaming within zodiac range. Oh and then taking no necessary precautions whatsoever.

Pro-Gitmo Propaganda by showing everybody detained there is still a MERICAN-HATING-EBUL-MUSLIM-TERRRIST. Oh and the mercenary assigned to torture people there is suddenly a jolly good southern character.

The actors who play the Captain and XO are so wooden and so MERICAN they might just as well start jerking each other off on camera. The crew is just so brave and duty-fulfilling. Blablabla.

Oh and the Queen Mary is suddenly an Italian cruise ship. Didn't even make an attempt to hide the pre-WWII ship design there. But more Queen Mary is always good, so not complaining about that.

This show feels like battlestar Galactica on a destroyer, except without the intrigue, tension and good acting. Instead, more infomercial on how AWESOME the US Navy is and how beautiful their ship is.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Thanas wrote: Pro-Gitmo Propaganda by showing everybody detained there is still a MERICAN-HATING-EBUL-MUSLIM-TERRRIST. Oh and the mercenary assigned to torture people there is suddenly a jolly good southern character.
You totally missed at least half of that episode if that's how you took it.