Anyone else watching this? The Last Ship...

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Anyone else watching this? The Last Ship...

Post by Thanas »

Block wrote:
Thanas wrote: Pro-Gitmo Propaganda by showing everybody detained there is still a MERICAN-HATING-EBUL-MUSLIM-TERRRIST. Oh and the mercenary assigned to torture people there is suddenly a jolly good southern character.
You totally missed at least half of that episode if that's how you took it.
Which part was that? The part where they went "hey, you served at Gitmo? Guess you come with us". Or the part where they completely glossed over the torture, or the part where they showed every released muslim turning on their former captors and attacking cowardly? When did anybody say to the oh-so-cool-swagger-mercenary that what he did was fucking wrong and he is a despicable human being? Oh wait, that never happened.

Tell me, which part of the episode actually showed the muslims in a positive light? Don't go crying on coincidence if every single Muslim that is shown generosity immediately turns on the MURICANS. At that point, especially with Gitmo being what it is, it has crossed way over apologia territory.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

You mean all 10 guys left on the island that weren't evacuated? Who were specifically called 'the worst of the worst' and were left behind because they weren't safe to move? And are they supposed to just lock up or shoot the completely legitimate defense contractor? Did you not notice that they needed his help? That they were wary of him until he proved himself?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Block wrote:You mean all 10 guys left on the island that weren't evacuated? Who were specifically called 'the worst of the worst' and were left behind because they weren't safe to move?
Dude, when the movie checks off all the GREAT ENEMIES OF MURICA (TM) boxes within the first few episodes then I don't tend to place a lot of worth in those statements that just serve as excuses so they can legitimately kill brown people. I mean, you got evil, vodka-drinking Russians (check), rapist, sadistic drug lords (check) and evil, unredeemable muslims (check). One such group might be stomachable, but the way ever single one of the enemies turns out to be the standard generic caricature of evil (tm) I doubt that this is more than lip service to avoid outright charges of racism and simplicity.
And are they supposed to just lock up or shoot the completely legitimate defense contractor? Did you not notice that they needed his help? That they were wary of him until he proved himself?
The show could have done a job portraying him as a grey character. Nothing like that exists. Instead he is just shown as one big damn chavalier and hero. Well whoop de do, especially considering what those mercenaries pull in real life.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Hey, what did you guys expect from this show? :lol: Although I must say the Soviets surviving and Americans accidentally killing most of their kin in the book was a funny turn of events, the series is just propaganda.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

1) it's Michael Bay, what do you want? He made a pair of Transformers speak with a "hood"accent.
2) Character development is coming in piece by piece, he may turn asshole later. A lot of those type of guys are perfectly charming on the surface.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

It might surprise you but Michael Bay is capable of producing shows that have complex characters and stay at least somewhat true to history. See: Black Sails, which is a really good show.
------------
------------
My LPs
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Guys, I have to agree with Thanas here. Where's the realistic enemies and what the hell is up with the cartoonish badguys? I'm starting to think this show lost it's shit in the second or third episode.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

Yeah, I'm an Engineering Division Officer on a DDG, it's not even funny haha bad it's "oh God, even someone halfway through bootcamp knows this is terribly wrong." bad.
HeavensThunderHammer
Redshirt

Post by HeavensThunderHammer »

I wonder how much they had to change the script to get USN participation in the show.