Ron Finley, Guerilla Gardner

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Ron Finley, Guerilla Gardner

Post by Broomstick »

Ron Finley is a man on a mission: he wants to grow fresh, healthy food in a city food desert. I don't usually link to videos but this TED talk is work the 10 minutes of your life. If you don't want to watch the video here's the synopsis: since the city requires that he maintains the strip of city owned land between the road and his house (in LA it's called a "parkway") he decided that instead of grass lawn he'd plant a garden. Turned out it was illegal to plant food in a parkway in LA. He fought the law and for once the underdog won. He's not on a mission to take the parkways, lawns, and vacant lots of his city and turn them into gardens full of food.

This is where he started:

This is a subject somewhat close to my own heart. Everyone has to eat, but when you're poor it's hard to afford fresh vegetables and fruit because they cost more than processed crap. There are a bunch of reasons for that, like vegetables and fruit being more perishable than gummy bears so they have to be transported to market quicker and sold quicker and tomatoes don't have the same subsidies as high fructose corn syrup. And it's not that agri-business outlawed growing gardens in parkways, the city did that due to cultural reason that said parkways should be grass lawns and not gardens. No one plotted to made it difficult for poor people in the ghetto to get fresh, healthy food but there are factors at work that lead to that.

Anyhow - what he says is right - a dollar's worth of seed multiplies into many, many more dollars of food, and it's fresh, healthy stuff. Gardening is healthy exercise. Gardening gives you the freshest food you can get. You also don't need to grow it on a formal farm. You just need a patch of dirt. There's a hell of a lot of land in a city (especially in sprawled-out US cities) and you can grow a lot of local food there. Gardening doesn't mean people grow ALL their own food, they don't stop buying industrially produced food, but it does bring healthy stuff to the people.

Best of all, for something like this it doesn't cost the city a damn thing. This is ALL volunteer. Not only that, but the city no longer has to worry about cutting down out-of-control weeds or cleaning junk out of these places - the gardeners take care of that.

And, frankly, a garden, even a somewhat shaggy one, looks a hell of a lot better than a vacant lot with scattered junk all around it.

Now, yes, there ARE downsides to urban gardening. Mr. Finley actually wants people to take the food that grows on his parkway but some other folks want to keep what they grow. There are problems with vandals, the usually problems of pests and drought or flood or plants that just up and die for no good reason you can see. But hey, that is part of gardening, too. Nothing teaches you that "shit happens" quite like attempting to grow something to eat on your own.

One of the reasons my spouse and I have been able to eat enough and eat healthy while being poor is because I have a garden. Sure, sometimes we get tired of eating a lot of chard (seems to be the most productive thing I grow) but all summer we have fresh stuff coming in, and hell, we're still eating last year's snap beans other things out of the freezer at this point. The money I save on not having to buy these things means more for, say, high quality protein or other items we can't grow but need to buy. Or maybe a few more pennies for something totally practical like toilet paper.

And finally - people need growing things around them to stay mentally healthy. In Antarctic bases we have hydroponic gardens that are considered essential for mental health as well as physical and staff spend some time just sitting with the growing things. Yet somehow we ignore the people living in cities nearly bare of growing things for years on end. Gee, wonder if that has an effect on those folks?

Anyhow, just wanted to share a story about someone trying to make a small corner of the world a better place.

Oh, and some of the flowers you see mixed in with everything else? They're to make people smile. Nothing wrong with a little beauty.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Re: Ron Finley, Guerilla Gardner

Post by Dalton »

The cynic in me is waiting for the city to send him a cease and desist order.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

They already did, he took it to court and successfully fought it.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

I'd be concerned about vehicle emissions killing the plants or making them unhealthy to eat with them six inches from the street like that, but other than that it seems like a great idea. I wouldn't think twice about eating it if my best alternative was picking through the trash.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

A lot depends on how much traffic there is.

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

And how old the street and houses are, and thus how much lead may or may not be in that dirt. I hope he sprung for a test kit, they don't cost much but the results can be very highly deterring.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Watching the whole video and a related one, it looks like the plants right by the road that they chose to film are thriving and taste good, and that they brought in a top layer of decent soil from somewhere else before they planted anything. If that's not enough to overcome the toxicity of an area, the guy also advocates planting in things like old trash cans, so he seems to have all the bases covered. I'm actually kind of inspired to go put down some carrots or something on public land somewhere out of the way; Denver has a shitload of underused green spaces.

ETA: Additional Thought: If something like this caught on, it could help to disperse the homeless from downtown (where they currently congregate because that's where the tourists go and where the shelter is) and alleviate the palpable hostility toward them in this city. If somebody knows about this awesome carrot patch a mile outside of downtown and didn't score enough for food, they might walk there, eat something healthy, and find a better place to sleep than pavement.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Raw Shark wrote: ETA: Additional Thought: If something like this caught on, it could help to disperse the homeless from downtown (where they currently congregate because that's where the tourists go and where the shelter is) and alleviate the palpable hostility toward them in this city. If somebody knows about this awesome carrot patch a mile outside of downtown and didn't score enough for food, they might walk there, eat something healthy, and find a better place to sleep than pavement.
A thought (one that will probably never catch on because the city governments wouldn't see the use in it): Associate shelters with gardens. Let the homeless work on it themselves, pay them in meals. Not only do you supplement the shelter's food supply with fresh produce, you're giving the homeless a bit of a morale boost from having something to do.

Not sure how practical exactly this is, though...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Mr. Finley has done exactly that with one homeless shelter in his area, it's towards the end of the TED video when he talks about it.

Of course, this is not going to Save The World - as noted, there are places you don't want to plant food due to contamination, not everyone is functional enough to garden, etc. But it's one of the ideas that contribute to solving some of the multi-factorial problems in the world.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Elheru Aran wrote:A thought (one that will probably never catch on because the city governments wouldn't see the use in it): Associate shelters with gardens. Let the homeless work on it themselves, pay them in meals. Not only do you supplement the shelter's food supply with fresh produce, you're giving the homeless a bit of a morale boost from having something to do.

Shelters give food and shelter to everybody who doesn't fuck it up for everybody else. That said, asking every functional person staying in a shelter to provide a regular work day in a garden that provides food for that shelter seems like a good idea to me, both in terms of efficient food production and psychological health.

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I can certainly get behind something like this. I live in Lancaster where it's dry as a bone, but even still I'm working on my backyard to make it a green oasis in the middle of the desert (drought tolerant plants mind you...I don't want to use too much water here). I believe that green is good and can make anything look better. I would love to see this sort of thing expand and bring more green to city. The fact the green is edible in this case is a major benefit as well.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Raw Shark wrote:That said, asking every functional person staying in a shelter to provide a regular work day in a garden that provides food for that shelter seems like a good idea to me, both in terms of efficient food production and psychological health.
That makes it sound like you're making it a requirement for them to stay there. I have some issue with that, as a shelter user's first priority should be getting back on their feet and I wouldn't want a requirement to garden to interfere with that.

That said - you probably don't need to make it a requirement. Virtually any group of people is going to have a few that are interested in gardening, and if not you can probably get volunteers from the community. Most likely, though, you'll get enough interest from the homeless in the shelter you won't need extra help. Gardening often becomes its own reward, and just add in that those who work in the garden get first dibs on the produce and you're golden.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Broomstick wrote:
Raw Shark wrote:That said, asking every functional person staying in a shelter to provide a regular work day in a garden that provides food for that shelter seems like a good idea to me, both in terms of efficient food production and psychological health.
That makes it sound like you're making it a requirement for them to stay there. I have some issue with that, as a shelter user's first priority should be getting back on their feet and I wouldn't want a requirement to garden to interfere with that.

That said - you probably don't need to make it a requirement. Virtually any group of people is going to have a few that are interested in gardening, and if not you can probably get volunteers from the community. Most likely, though, you'll get enough interest from the homeless in the shelter you won't need extra help. Gardening often becomes its own reward, and just add in that those who work in the garden get first dibs on the produce and you're golden.
I did say asking.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

True - although my experience with Public Aid, charities, shelters, free clinics, and the like is that when you are "asked" to do something what is actually happening is you are being ordered to do it and if you don't you will be penalized. AND I'm having to deal with Public Aid myself this week so I'm a bit over-sensitized. Apologies for mistaking you for the Bureaucracy.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Broomstick wrote:True - although my experience with Public Aid, charities, shelters, free clinics, and the like is that when you are "asked" to do something what is actually happening is you are being ordered to do it and if you don't you will be penalized. AND I'm having to deal with Public Aid myself this week so I'm a bit over-sensitized. Apologies for mistaking you for the Bureaucracy.
Yeah, I was trying to argue against that kind of shit. It's more clear in the context provided by the part you snipped. ;)

But hey, if everybody gets their basic needs provided and then on top of that the people who work in the garden get an extra privilege or two plus the pleasure and self-esteem from working in a garden, and the prestige of providing food to everybody who didn't, that's cool, right?

Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Raw Shark wrote: ETA: Additional Thought: If something like this caught on, it could help to disperse the homeless from downtown (where they currently congregate because that's where the tourists go and where the shelter is) and alleviate the palpable hostility toward them in this city. If somebody knows about this awesome carrot patch a mile outside of downtown and didn't score enough for food, they might walk there, eat something healthy, and find a better place to sleep than pavement.
A thought (one that will probably never catch on because the city governments wouldn't see the use in it): Associate shelters with gardens. Let the homeless work on it themselves, pay them in meals. Not only do you supplement the shelter's food supply with fresh produce, you're giving the homeless a bit of a morale boost from having something to do.

Never happen. At least, not in the US. There's not enough punishment for being poor in it.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.