Suggestions welcome for a possible trip to London (England)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Re: Suggestions welcome for a possible trip to London (Engla

Post by SCRawl »

My flight leaves in about five hours. If anyone wants me to bring something from Canada, they'd better speak soon :)
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

If i was going to be in London I'd ask for some duty-free cigarettes and booze, but alas I'm in Wales.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

holy fuck. I WILL be in london Mon-Wed
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Small world. Barring being called upon to do some work remotely, I'm planning on going into town Monday to check out the museum.

SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

I gave the British Museum a very thorough browsing today. Took a few hours, but after walking (in the manner similar to how a drunk would navigate, I think) from Paddington Station to the museum I was already getting a little footsore. Walking back (using a much more economical path) didn't help; if my trip to NYC a few years ago taught me anything it's that anything more than a moderate amount of walking hurts. I will therefore be taking it easy for a while.

I'm still hoping to have a free day Friday for more sightseeing, so I'm thinking that that will be more outdoor stuff. And I'll use the subway, methinks.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

If you take the tube, make sure you've got a bottle of water. Some of the lines have newer trains with air conditioning and so on but not all of them.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

That's one thing I found about the Museum: a great deal of it is quite warm. Only a couple of areas are air conditioned, as far as I can tell, and with the warm weather like this it gets a little uncomfortable.

Tomorrow the course starts, and I'll probably start the day with the "traditional English breakfast". Possibly even kippers.

SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Kippers for breakfast. A small, oily, fried fish, sitting in my stomach all morning, getting its revenge one little burp at a time.

Anyway, with the course over yesterday, I went to London again today. Saw the Imperial War Museum (including a pretty good WWI display, and their Holocaust display, which was kind of a downer way to spend an afternoon), and yes, I paid my fiver (as I did for the British Museum). I must have walked over 30km, and my feet are not happy, but I checked quite a large number of tourist boxes: Parliament bulidings, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, St. Paul's cathedral, Westminster Abbey, Millennium Bridge, Baker Street (see "Holmes, Sherlock"), and walked along the Thames for quite a ways. For all that, though, I'll still be very glad to be leaving tomorrow.