Dumb and Dumber To trailer.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Dumb and Dumber To trailer.

Post by Iroscato »

I was thoroughly unconvinced when this was first announced, but I must say this trailer made me almost spit my tea out watching it. Dare I hope...?
*A little NSFW-ish*

Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Re: Dumb and Dumber To trailer.

Post by The Vortex Empire »

That was spectacularly unfunny.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

The Vortex Empire wrote:That was spectacularly unfunny.
Really? It made me giggle at the start and end quite a bit.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

I never found Dumb and Dumber all that funny, so absolutely no expectations for this.
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

I laughed.
Go back far enough and you'll end up blaming some germ for splitting in two - Col Tigh
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I laughed. Once.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I think that's the first trailer I've stopped watching partway though.
Welf
Padawan Learner

Post by Welf »

I laughed twice. I probably won't bother to go to cinema, but will watch it on TV some day.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I watched the trailer for the original as a comparison, and it was markedly less funny than the actual movie is. So maybe the sequel will be OK.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Welf
Padawan Learner

Post by Welf »

Good point, I wouldn't have watched the first movie if I had only seen the original trailer. I maybe will watch in cinema if other people say it's good.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I think, of all genres, comedy is the most difficult to make a good trailer for. I can think of dozens of comedies that the trailers make look stupid but end up being great movies (I remember being skeptical about "Anchorman" and "Superbad" based on the trailers, for example). This trailer looks pretty meh, but humor is tough to convey out-of-context.

That said, I'm a huge fan of the original "Dumb and Dumber" (I quote it regularly), and am excited for this one, though to be honest my expectations are pretty low. As a general rule, comedy sequels tend to be pretty underwhelming.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Trailer blocked in my country for copyright reasons...
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Alternate link for Americans

A few decent jokes, a few things that were just "oh god WHY" stuff.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Okay, so the joke is that he puts his hand inside a senior citizen's vagina... which is disgusting... so it's funny? I guess?

Seriously, I have never quite "gotten" gross-out humor. What's supposed to be funny about this? From South Park, to all that stupid Wayan's brothers crap, so many writers these days seem to think that gross = funny. Am I missing the necessary genetic components here to find this funny? What is it with this bizarre intersection between revolting and hilarious? It wasn't supposed to be funny when Indiana Jones made his way through a cave full of giant insects, (it was supposed to be tense and scary), so why is it supposed to be funny when Jim Carrey puts his hand inside an old woman's vagina? It's just fucking gross... which is a sentiment I imagine comes from an entirely different portion of the brain than the area that processes humor.