Things to do in the Lakes

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Hillary
Jedi Master

Things to do in the Lakes

Post by Hillary »

Mrs H and my good self will be staying in Ullswater for a week shortly. In the spirit of Dartzap's recent Manchester expedition, do any SDNers have recommendations for things to do/places to eat/drink?

I have heard the pencil museum is surprisingly good, but beyond that very little. Any suggestions welcome.
What is WRONG with you people
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Re: Things to do in the Lakes

Post by Dartzap »

Ah, another area I want to visit! There's some damned attractive scenery in this country, and I fully plan on exploring it all.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

The lakes? take boots and rucksacks and spread out into the countryside. It's beautiful.
Beyond that, there's a lot of honeypot attractions in ullswater and around, but depending on the time of year they can get crazy busy - same for local pubs. The landscape is what you are there for.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Dartzap wrote:Ah, another area I want to visit! There's some damned attractive scenery in this country, and I fully plan on exploring it all.
Went up to North Yorkshire Moors and the Dales last year - the Dales are quite simply the sexiest piece of countryside I've ever seen. Unfortunately only a flying visit.
madd0ct0r wrote:The lakes? take boots and rucksacks and spread out into the countryside. It's beautiful.
Beyond that, there's a lot of honeypot attractions in ullswater and around, but depending on the time of year they can get crazy busy - same for local pubs. The landscape is what you are there for.
This is true - we've booked a cottage which is (if Google Maps is to be believed) a little off the beaten track just under a mile from Ullswater, so we will be experiencing the landscape in some detail. All the same, it's a good 5 hours drive for us, so I wouldn't want to miss any must-sees if there are any. The Aira Force Waterfall is apparently one of those, I've heard from elsewhere.
What is WRONG with you people