3%
Cinderella
3%

Total votes: 36

darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Favourite Disney Animation

Post by darth_timon »

Simple really- a poll to discover what Disney SD.net really likes.

If I've missed a film off the poll you like I'll either add it or ask a mod to add it if I can't.

Personally, for me, it's The Lion King- the very pinnacle of Disney. Majestic, uplifting and powerful, I fell in love with The Lion King the moment I saw it and even now, twenty years on, it's still such an amazing film to me.

For my wife, it's Aladdin, which I also enjoy, and rate very highly, but not as highly as The Lion King.

The Toy Story films are fantastic, and I defy anyone not to enjoy them.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Favourite Disney Animation

Post by Crazedwraith »

That's hardly an exhaustive list of Disney films.

But yeah of those for me: Wreck It Ralph. I genuinely teared up at the end of that one. The theme of the guy feeling under-appreciated and then finding his confidence and sense of self-worth in who he is? That's powerful.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I happened to like Mulan. Great musical score and inspiring story.

But out of that list, I chose Lion King. It just seemed grander in scale and with more exotic environments than other films.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

The Incredibles for me. Perfect balance of action, humour, intelligent and weighty writing, and moments of pure awesome.
Out of this list though...I'll go with Toy Story. Just a smidgen less enjoyable IMO.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
TronPaul
Padawan Learner

Post by TronPaul »

The Incredibles. Nothing has resonated more with me from Disney/Pixar than that film.
If it waddles like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a KV-5.
Vote Electron Standard, vote Tron Paul 2012
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

No Incredibles? I know Disney forgot about it for a decade, but that movie was just as it's name implies.

No Up? Up demolished me in the first 5 minutes and it only kept kicking me when I was down. I haven't been that close to tears watching a TV screen since the end of Jurassic Bark. Dug the dog, he's a good boy. He didn't want to hurt anyone, he was just trying to be a good boy. Damn man, if he hadn't got a happy ending with Carl and Russel, I probably would have just stopped watching movies.

Up should be a standardized test for judging someone's humanity.
Last edited by TheFeniX on 2014-06-04 02:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Seems I'm in good company :)
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Chimaera wrote:Seems I'm in good company :)

"You tell me where my suit is, woman!" I yell variations of this line at my wife even to this day.

But Dug. Just Dug.
"My name is Dug. I have just met you and I love you." And they had to make him a Golden, just to mess with me even more.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

For me it's Wall-E. Silent poetry, that one. At least everything with the robots. Not so much with the people, which really brought it down.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Among those listed - for me it is the little mermaid, simply because the music was far more original and funny than any other and it had much more humour than the others.

That being said, I miss the Hunchback of Notre Dame on that list - it probably is the most adult of all the Disney movies. It wouldn't get my vote but it deserves to be on that list simply for pieces like this.

Especially those who know what the catholic confiteor means.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Elheru Aran wrote:For me it's Wall-E. Silent poetry, that one. At least everything with the robots. Not so much with the people, which really brought it down.
Aye, I adore the first third of Wall-E. The rest of the film with the humans is still ok, and the ending is sublime but it does sag a little (no pun intended(ok maybe a little bit intended)).

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Post by darth_timon »

I would have included more films but the option was for 10 films at most. I agree Wall-E was a masterpiece and Up was brilliant.

I have to mention Ratitoulie (sp?!) as my daughter has subjected me to that film more times than I can remember.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

It was a tough choice for me between Beauty and the Beast or The Little Mermaid but I had to choose for the poll, so I flipped a coin and BatB won 2/3.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Fantasia.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

The Jungle Book
What is WRONG with you people
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Alladin from the list. Probably because it came out when I was about 13 and it's nostalgic more than anything else
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

phred wrote:Alladin from the list. Probably because it came out when I was about 13 and it's nostalgic more than anything else
Funny thing about Aladdin where the original version had lyrics that pissed a lot of Arabas off and they had to re-dub it in a hurry before general release. :)
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I voted "Aladdin" on that poll, but honestly there's a bunch I'd put first if they had been included.

"Robin Hood" (heck, maybe it's just nostalgia, but this is one of my favorite movies of all time, Disney or otherwise)
"The Sword in the Stone"
"Up"
"The Incredibles"
"Alice in Wonderland"

I would put those 5 above anything on the OP list. And there are dozens of others I'd at least consider on par with the ones listed:

"Sleeping Beauty"
"Snow White"
"Pinocchio"
"Fantasia"
"Dumbo"
"The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad"
"Peter Pan"
"The Great Mouse Detective"
"The Rescuers" / "The Rescuers Down Under"
"The Aristocats"
"The Emperor's New Groove"

God it is only now just dawning on me just how many friggin' Disney animated classics there are. Just when I think I've made a decision as to my favorite I think of another great one.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Pixar: Tie between WALL-E and The Incredibles. But competition for that title is stiff what with Up, Ratatouille, the Toy Story movies and whatnot.
Disney Animation: Hunchback of Notre Dam. Honorable mentions goes Beauty and the Beast, Mulan and Treasure Planet.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Post by darth_timon »

Disney have a knack for churning out quality. The Emperor's New Groove was quirky but great. Dumbo is one of the very first Disney films I remember and Peter Pan was good too.

Hercules was good fun too.

I'm hard-pressed to think of a Disney animation I don't like.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Some of the forgotten (by today's youth) Disney movies were fun to watch. I'm referring to older ones like Aristocats, Lady and the Tramp, The Rescuers...those were some classics that have been overshadowed by the shiner Pixar movies.
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

Aladdin.

Pure nostalgia, I admit, but the songs and visuals were great, and I still remember a lot of quotes from this, and it's direct to video sequels.

Hell, I use Jafar's venom dripping "....ecstatic" practically daily! :lol:
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

It is kinda funny to see that the Lion king was the highest-grossing and most valuable trademark of all the choices, but people here like Aladdin a lot more. I wonder why - and this is not an attack directed at anybody, just wondering what makes the difference here.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I dunno, I personally liked Lion King better. It just seemed more epic. I think maybe having the songs covered by Elton John and Mufasa voiced by James Earl Jones gave it that extra boost at the box office.

But Aladdin does have some good supporting characters, good songs, and Jafar is (IMO) one of the better Disney villains...which is probably why it is so popular.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Thanas wrote:It is kinda funny to see that the Lion king was the highest-grossing and most valuable trademark of all the choices, but people here like Aladdin a lot more. I wonder why - and this is not an attack directed at anybody, just wondering what makes the difference here.
A part of it probably has to do with the fact that when it comes to later spinoffs Aladdin got off war better in terms of quality. Lion king sort of started and ended with the movie. The only spinoff I am aware of is that iffy Timon and Pumba cartoon series that was hit and miss at best. So now that we look at them with all that put together he just gets a better overall impression.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.