The whitewashing of Kevin Reilly

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Thanas
Magister
Magister

The whitewashing of Kevin Reilly

Post by Thanas »

So a few days ago, Kevin Reilly was finally fired from Fox TV. In case you did not know him, he was the guy responsible for the slow death of many quality SF shows, aka "finance a good show and then screw them over in ratings by either pairing them with lead-ins that did not make sense, cancel them in favor of reality TV or simply move them to Friday night". He was the guy who made a lot of questionable decisions, like keeping Dollhouse over T:SCC, screwing around with Firefly etc.

And now he is lauded for always keeping good shows in favor of ratings-getters. :lol:
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
tim31
Sith Devotee

Re: The whitewashing of Kevin Reilly

Post by tim31 »

As you can see Thanas, everyone is speechless.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Or nobody cares. :wink:
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Kids these days.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Thanas wrote:Or nobody cares. :wink:
This. It would actually be nice if we got a little bit more context than name dropping a few shows most of us probably newer heard off beyond the name. I even red most of the article before I got bored. And I still do not understand it.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Then I am afraid I cannot help you.
------------
------------
My LPs
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Thanas wrote:Or nobody cares. :wink:
After all the propaganda coming out of Fox News, why should anyone care about something this minor ?

The fact that he kept screwing around with shows I liked suggests other people in Fox agreed with him. So I can't even get my hopes up that his replacement will be any better.

Reading the article, it seems like he was fired for disrupting the status quo and/or office politics. Not because it had anything to do with his poor treatment of sci-fi series.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The article did suggest that he might have got into some trouble because when he did gamble on shows that ended up being successful those shows weren't produced by FOX. So, even when he was doing well for FOX he was also helping their competitors. It seemed that from an in house development standpoint he kind of screwed the pooch a little too often. He did enough through outside shows to keep things going as long as the reality shows were propping up the overall ratings. When those started tanking it looks like it was time for a change.

It was also suggested that when he did pick up shows that other networks had produced but passed on he might have been doing it to thumb his nose at people he used to work for. Not really the best way to do business long term. If he really wanted to show them he would have been better if he did well with original FOX productions.

Did he get dumped before or after they decided on what was getting picked up for next year?
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

To be fair, he is the guy who kept Fringe running isn't he? And I know it's heresy but Firefly and Dollhouse were never anything special as far as I'm concerned.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Firefly was awesome, dollhouse meh.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Dollhouse was stupid, then it got kinda good then stupid again and I stoped watching.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Block wrote:To be fair, he is the guy who kept Fringe running isn't he? And I know it's heresy but Firefly and Dollhouse were never anything special as far as I'm concerned.
Firefly, all things being equal, never got a chance to get good. If the material in Serenity was done in show over a season instead of crammed into 2 hours it would've been great.