OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Anyone know binoculars?

Post by Jaepheth »

I'm comparing two 8x42 binoculars:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/V ... 421386-REG

They're both waterproof with a wide angle and weigh nearly the same (34 gram difference)

My question is: Are the Vortex ones really worth nearly 3x the price?
Sure they're roof prism (more compact and durable, right?) and can focus 3x closer, but I can't imagine trying to use binoculars to view something less than 12 feet away. (Would be used for concerts and the occasional hiking/camping trip)

Are there other significant differences between these that aren't covered by the spec list?
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: Anyone know binoculars?

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

The Vortex has a tripod mount, if you care about things like that. The Vortex will also be more compact, due to the roof prisms. Supposedly their warranty and customer service are also excellent. Also, you're kindof comparing apples and oranges. The Bushnell Legacy WP is a couple steps up from Bushnell's cheap models, whereas the Vortex is a good set of midrange binoculars. I have a Bushnell Legacy WP myself (10x50). They're perfectly adequate binoculars, and will do the job; though you get exactly what you pay for at this price range (i.e. a field of view that's not perfectly flat from edge-to-edge, or perfectly sharp from edge-to-edge ... but you have to be looking for these things to notice them.)

But ... have you actually tried both out? I'd strongly suggest going to a shop and having a look through binoculars you're interested in.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Re: Anyone know binoculars?

Post by Jaepheth »

Thanks for the input.
I sampled some Nikons and lower end Bushnells today, but nothing really wowed me.
Not a lot of stores carry Vortex products near me; I'll probably have to make a special trip up to Cabelas.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.