The FBI Is Struggling to Hire Hackers Who Don't Smoke Weed

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: The FBI Is Struggling to Hire Hackers Who Don't Smoke We

Post by General Zod »

Block wrote: Your reading comprehension is really low hmm? I'm lamenting that people seem solely motivated by money at this point, as I believe it's unfortunate. Not anywhere near a guilt trip.
That's funny, because when people complain about entitlement, they're usually trying to imply that the people in question should feel bad about it.

In any case it's a terrible argument. What the fuck is wrong with wanting to earn as much as you can for your skills? And frankly not everyone buys into the line about working for the government being for the common good. Especially given the government's habit of silencing and jailing whistleblowers.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Yeah, the traditional meme regarding government work in the US has always been, "Sure the pay is bullshit, but you get great benefits and near-total stability." If you take away the latter, and pay enough extra to buy the former without a relative pay cut, why would anybody choose to put up with the additional hoops to work for The Man unless they are kind of stupid and/or have a personal hard-on for law-enforcement or something?

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Ralin wrote:
General Zod wrote:Do you honestly think trying to guilt-trip people into feeling bad for wanting to make as much money with their skill-set as possible is going to convince . . . anybody to work for the FBI?
It seems to work surprisingly well in many other areas of life.
In what other areas? It might work, but it depends on a lot more than some random asshole somewhere wanting to signal their moral righteousness coming around and shitting on you when he likely doesn't have to do the job.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Block wrote:Because God forbid anyone take any less money to do something for the common good right?
If you want to hire the best and house them somewhere in the D.C. Metropolitan Area, paying them badly is not a good way to keep them on.

I don't care how patriotic you are, or how strong your desire to serve your country is. If you're having trouble paying the mortgage, you're going to seriously consider looking for a higher-paying job.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov