Sabertron

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Sabertron

Post by mr friendly guy »

It seems pretty cool if you want to have a toy that allows you to engage in pseudo lightsaber or even use medieval sword combat for fun.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/le ... =discovery

Essentially lightsaber like toys but the blade won't hurt you while it can detect when a hit has occurred on a person as opposed to a block by the accelerometer built in. Also has several scoring modes programmed into it.

Currently a kickstarter pack. Is there any other toy like this on the market? The closest I can think of is the Wii when you play against the AI but not against another human opponent.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Sabertron

Post by TheFeniX »

mr friendly guy wrote:Currently a kickstarter pack. Is there any other toy like this on the market? The closest I can think of is the Wii when you play against the AI but not against another human opponent.
Yea, it's when you pull the padding off a nerf bat and start wailing on each other. The only problem is it usually ends with everyone standing around the kid who took a hard shot to the temple and went down like a sack rocks, then the panic as you all come up with a cover story so your parents don't paddle your ass.

This is probably a lot safer, but kids just enjoy beating the shit out of each other so they're more likely to just break it. Giving a few pre-pubescent boys Pool Noodles pretty much always leads to them re-enacting 300 with marginally less blood and screaming.

You'd likely be better off with foam swords and using the tried and true "I hit you" "nu-uh, no you didn't" Cops and Robbers rule-system and save you some money. Adults dueling around with this would be hilarious, but likely only useful when you're drunk and stupid, so you'd be better off with cheap foam swords anyways.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I have a feeling that this is designed as much for adults as for kids, given that you can have the cheap foam version and the master and grandmaster versions. Obviously the cheaper one for kids, the more expensive one for adults.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

I'd personally not buy it, the guys I sword fight with use steel, but it'd be a laugh to mess around with.
Looks horribly balanced though...
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation