So, now even Elementary is supporting torture

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Thanas
Magister
Magister

So, now even Elementary is supporting torture

Post by Thanas »

"See, the military knows every man will speak if the correct tools are applied" - US version of Sherlock Holmes, Elementary.
(before torturing a suspect with a garrotte, thereby causing him to spill the relevant information)

So they turned a guy who primarily learns information from deductions and nonviolent means into somebody who tortures suspects. Even better, he is helping the NSA. :banghead:

What a fucking shitshow Elementary has turned into. I thought the episode where they turned a snowden figure into a pathetic coward who needed to be turned over to the NSA was just an exception but clearly this is what the show is heading into. And nevermind the travesty of turning Sherlock Holmes of all people into a torturer. This is fucking Arthur Conan Doyle's corpse with a sledgehammer.

Is there any US show on that does not show torture as a necessary evil these days?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: So, now even Elementary is supporting torture

Post by General Zod »

Didn't they establish that Sherlock was a sociopath pretty early on? I haven't seen more than a few episodes, so I can't really comment on this one.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Thanas wrote: Is there any US show on that does not show torture as a necessary evil these days?
Heheh. We had a thread about this a while ago and the answer was:"lol,probably not". Perhaps Lie to Me? Oh, wait, that was cancelled years ago and it only worked because the characters were telepathic. CSI? I honestly don't know, I missed a bunch this season's set of procedurals.

I'm sure (I sure wish) there are. The more insidious problem is the "cops/anyone bend the rules and do what's necessary to get the guy, now with 60% more grittiness".
Didn't they establish that Sherlock was a sociopath pretty early on? I haven't seen more than a few episodes, so I can't really comment on this one.
Sherlock, at least the modern retelling of him, has always been a sociopath. Don't remember enough about the books to say definitively.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Scrib wrote:
Sherlock, at least the modern retelling of him, has always been a sociopath. Don't remember enough about the books to say definitively.
He's all over the place in the short stories and novels. At times, he seems to suffer from something akin to bipolar disorder, others a variety of Asperger's. He never displays the outright antipathy and lack of empathy indicative of sociopathy, at least that I recall.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I'm glad I stuck to the British version. Granted, he's not exactly a nice bloke...but he's English not American so I suppose I'm biased.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'm sure this isn't the first time I've expressed this, but I have gotten really, really worried about the whole "torture; it's not just for bad guys anymore!" trend in American fiction. The problem is that there are stories where torture is not used, and stories where it is used only be villains... but few if any (as Thanas notes) that explicitly condemn torture used by 'the good guys.'
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

I personally think that this is a permanent shift, there's no going back. I suppose one can hope that it doesn't get worse and go from antiheroes to borderline anti-heroes to every person in the good guy camp. But that ship has probably sailed too.

EDIT: Probably because people think that complexity means grimdark darkiness.
Last edited by Scrib on 2014-05-03 10:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Dude, it has gotten to the point where even cops (and not just special units cops) in US fiction use questionable tactics.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Thanas wrote:Dude, it has gotten to the point where even cops (and not just special units cops) in US fiction use questionable tactics.
I remember the days when it was "that one edgy cop who used to be undercover and hates the captain" who would get heavy-handed in interviews and that was as extreme as it got, and they were still treated as seriously messed up for it.

Now it's, well, disturbing.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Thanas wrote:Dude, it has gotten to the point where even cops (and not just special units cops) in US fiction use questionable tactics.

I've been disturbed for awhile that so many US shows involving "law enforcement" use the "you'll be labeled a terrorist and just disappear to Gitmo" tactic into frightening people into doing what they want them to do. It's bad enough that they are doing it but I feel like I see it often enough that people who regularly watch these sort of TV shows will somehow get used to the idea that this sort of thing happening in real life is okay.

As an FYI: In case anyone is interested. iTunes has a version of the Elementary episode Paint It Black with commentary by Lucy Liu, who directed the episode, and the director of photography.

One of the other things that sort of bugged me about the episode is the NSA having "goons". I always thought the NSA was more about SIGINT and the acquiring of data, not actually having agents apprehending people to question them. That seems more like a job for the FBI or DHS.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Castle starring Nathan Fillion was tortured free for most of it except one episode. There was this episode where his daughter was kidnapped and he tortured (behind the closed door so we don't see it) one of the guys who did it to find out all he could. That was portrayed as an exception because his daughter's life was on the line, and highlights how desperate one gets. I didn't get the vibe that it was saying "torture is ok", more like "desperate men do desperate things" type of feeling.

Granted Castle isn't a pure cop sure (its more of a mystery show) with Fillion as the mystery writer turn amateur detective, so it might not count in the list of "cop shows" Thanas was looking for.

Edit - I am not really a fan of "cop shows" so I can't comment too much on the question regarding torture in such shows. The other cop shows I watched back in the day were a few episodes of Walker Texas Ranger which just had Chuck Norris roundhouse kick the villains, Martial Law which had Sammo Hung beat the bad guys with awesome choreograph martial arts moves and Forever Knight where the Vampire Cop hypnotises the bad guy. Totally no torture involved there. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

mr friendly guy wrote:Castle starring Nathan Fillion was tortured free for most of it except one episode. There was this episode where his daughter was kidnapped and he tortured (behind the closed door so we don't see it) one of the guys who did it to find out all he could. That was portrayed as an exception because his daughter's life was on the line, and highlights how desperate one gets. I didn't get the vibe that it was saying "torture is ok", more like "desperate men do desperate things" type of feeling.

Granted Castle isn't a pure cop sure (its more of a mystery show) with Fillion as the mystery writer turn amateur detective, so it might not count in the list of "cop shows" Thanas was looking for.
In that episode, at least they had the character really take a personal moment to deal with what he was about to do.

It is one of those shows that uses the "Gitmo threat" from time to time. At least when Beckett does it I get the feeling that most of the time it's a bluff. On NCIS, when Gibbs does it I get the impression it's more of an actual possibility.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

I only watched one season of NCIS and it was a long time ago but don't they outright kill people? I mean, there was one episode where they were going to snipe a Bad Guy (they had to stop) and another where a retired agent came out, shot a criminal, had a drink and then waddled off to his farm, content with closing the book on that case.

So yeah, it seems like a credible threat.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Out of curiosity, what is the context of this? Is this Sherlock acting alone (he does abandon his principles if you rile him up enough) or are the police going with it? Does he get into trouble for this?

American police has actually a fairly long history of using torture to coerce confessions. At least as far as the illustrated guide to Law (a sort-of webcomic) is to be believed. American police and courts have been battling over wanting police officers from getting confessions and wanting innocent people from making a confession since the 19th century.

Start of American 5th amendment history
American police routinely using torture until 1936
Old police manipulation tactic to get a confession
Right up until 1966 with the Miranda rights. Even then coercive, manipulative interrogation has not been ruled out entirely. As long as the police say your Miranda rights, anything you say afterwards would be considered to be voluntarily said and thus admissible as confessions. Which is why lawyers in the US always tell to not ever say anything until they get there, regardless whatever you did or even not did.

Now look at cop shows afterwards. Remember all those tricky confession scenes in Wired (and even in more realistic cop shows like Homicide Life on the Street?)? Where the police kept trying to trick people they arrested, even when the arrested knew they shouldn't say a thing. They were essentially coercing the people they arrested, just in a legal-enough way.

Once you have that mentality, that you are allowed to trick people into confessing or giving information, then taking the next step of violently forcing the perp to confess seems logical. The fact that the government does it then just begs the question why can't the police do it? Since it is easy in fiction to always show that torture is ever done on guilty people, it doesn't bother your average viewer. Unless they know why the "the government shouldn't be able to force you to testify against yourself" principle, its history connected to torture and why it's so important as a human right, they just don't see the problem. And how many people do?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Zixinus wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the context of this? Is this Sherlock acting alone (he does abandon his principles if you rile him up enough) or are the police going with it? Does he get into trouble for this?
Sherlock is acting only with his brother in this. He's fairly desperate to get the information so he can save Watson.

It's possible that the NSA is aware of what he's up to, at least in the basic sense.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Sherlock on the BBC contains a couple instances of torture that I can recall - in the first episode, he steps on the gunshot wound of the dying cabby to get him to say Moriarty's name. He even says "you're dying, but there's still time to hurt you".
Then in series 2, he drops a thug out of a window at least once, remarking afterwards he "lost count" of the exact number. Granted, he had just been threatening Mrs Hudson, but it was still a deliberate infliction of pain on an incapacitated human being.
Whether or not this is as explicit as Elementary's use, it's still torture in my book.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Thanas wrote: Is there any US show on that does not show torture as a necessary evil these days?
Sadly, Burn Notice isn't on anymore, and it always stood on the anti-torture side (at least physical torture, they were spies and head-games were applied, including hinting at the possibility of nastiness on some occasions).

I remember one of the "Michael Westin narratator" lines in an episode was "Torture is like grocery shopping with a flamethrower. It doesn't work and it leaves a mess."
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Steve wrote:
Sadly, Burn Notice isn't on anymore, and it always stood on the anti-torture side (at least physical torture, they were spies and head-games were applied, including hinting at the possibility of nastiness on some occasions).

I remember one of the "Michael Westin narratator" lines in an episode was "Torture is like grocery shopping with a flamethrower. It doesn't work and it leaves a mess."
But they did use all kinds of pharmaceutical drugs and sleep deprivation etc, which certainly falls under at least psychological torture.
------------
------------
My LPs
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Chimaera wrote:Sherlock on the BBC contains a couple instances of torture that I can recall - in the first episode, he steps on the gunshot wound of the dying cabby to get him to say Moriarty's name. He even says "you're dying, but there's still time to hurt you".
Then in series 2, he drops a thug out of a window at least once, remarking afterwards he "lost count" of the exact number. Granted, he had just been threatening Mrs Hudson, but it was still a deliberate infliction of pain on an incapacitated human being.
Whether or not this is as explicit as Elementary's use, it's still torture in my book.
But Sherlock is portrayed as nothing other than a sociopath whose goals currently align with those of society. The failure of cops and other "good guys" in power are far more disturbing.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Scrib wrote:I personally think that this is a permanent shift, there's no going back. I suppose one can hope that it doesn't get worse and go from antiheroes to borderline anti-heroes to every person in the good guy camp. But that ship has probably sailed too.

EDIT: Probably because people think that complexity means grimdark darkiness.
There's "permanent" and there's also "fifty years from now people will wonder what the fuck this generation was thinking." I still hold out some hope that the American fascination with torture falls into the latter category.
Tsyroc wrote:
I've been disturbed for awhile that so many US shows involving "law enforcement" use the "you'll be labeled a terrorist and just disappear to Gitmo" tactic into frightening people into doing what they want them to do. It's bad enough that they are doing it but I feel like I see it often enough that people who regularly watch these sort of TV shows will somehow get used to the idea that this sort of thing happening in real life is okay.
I think part of the problem is that in America, we now have all these accoutrements of police state tactics (secret prisons, secret trials on secret evidence, highly classified state intelligence/security organs, torture...). But we don't have any experience of those tools being used against "us," the we-the-people that constitutes the American mainstream. They only get used on 'weird bad people.'

So by and large, we don't have the experience of knowing that people from our hometown have been 'disappeared' and are probably being tortured or already dead. We don't have the experience of wondering the person who just asked questions about our job was a secret policeman. Or of a cousin being beaten to within an inch of his life by the police who were fishing for information about something.

So we've got no direct knowledge of why all these things are horrible and wrong... which makes them seem like things that aren't so bad, if they're only being done to enemies. And America collectively has lost its historical perspective on the matter, which made this knowledge more widespread 20-30 years ago.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Chimaera wrote:Sherlock on the BBC contains a couple instances of torture that I can recall - in the first episode, he steps on the gunshot wound of the dying cabby to get him to say Moriarty's name. He even says "you're dying, but there's still time to hurt you".
that scene in particular, it's made very clear that the american thug had been beating Mrs Hudson - the bruises on her cheek matching his ring ect. It's punishment and revenge pure and simple, there's no 'torture with flimsy justification of information gathering'.
The taxi driver would count as torture IMO.

I can't recall any torture for information in the books,
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

While I do not recall CSI or CSI:NY using or supporting torture (I really seriously doubt it) but it was used or implied a few times in CSI:Miami.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Thanas wrote:
Steve wrote:

But they did use all kinds of pharmaceutical drugs and sleep deprivation etc, which certainly falls under at least psychological torture.
Yeah, but those actually work in real life too, they just take time. Person of Interest is pretty anti-torture, the two main characters are both in the threat of pain works better than actual pain camp. It's actually used to show that a former partner has crossed the line. Other than that and Psych I don't watch cop shows, and Psych was always about tricking the suspect.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Someone mentioned Castle as an example in which there wasn't torture used, while the main heroic detective Beckett has never used it, it was still used twice by police officers. The first case(episode 3x19) was a more positive but brief portrayal in which Detective Espisito(who generally has the badass role) delayed calling an ambulance after shooting someone to get information and when that wasn't enough held his just fired weapon inside the bullet wound. In the second case(episode 4x21), a one episode character played by Adam Baldwin tortured someone to get information but at least in that case it was shown as him being less a badass and more simply crazy. He also ended up being completely wrong about his main suspect and Beckett ending up solving it the right way. This is not counting the case(episode 5x15) with Castle himself(who is a mystery writer rather than police officer and so at least doesn't have authority).
Block wrote:Yeah, but those actually work in real life too, they just take time. Person of Interest is pretty anti-torture, the two main characters are both in the threat of pain works better than actual pain camp. It's actually used to show that a former partner has crossed the line. Other than that and Psych I don't watch cop shows, and Psych was always about tricking the suspect.
The point isn't whether psychological torture works, it's whether it's good to show heroic characters using it and whether the positives outweigh the negatives. Person of Interest however has the downside of showing government surveillance as necessary and useful in saving people. Another problem with that it has it that via a magic computer system, it never requires intelligence analysis which is the real life problem with gathering so much surveillance data in that there is too much to know. This is what leads to the problem after an attack of someone showing that data existed in files somewhere. It isn't enough to have data if one can't use it. This isn't to say that I don't like the show however, despite my criticisms of the premise.

Both Castle and Person Of Interest also featured heroic character on the receiving end of torture at various points. While arguably better than showing heroic characters doing it this has have another downside, that of it being used to show what a badass the characters are. On Castle(episode 3x13), Ryan and Espisito(the two secondary detectives) are both tortured by an ex-military suspect who is trying to discover how much they knew about him. They of course resist long enough to be rescued. Similarly Person Of Interest features Root doing the exact same thing(episode 3x12), though she rescues herself with help from her god. At another point(episode 2x16) Root threatened to torture Shaw and Shaw commented that she sort of liked this sort of thing, though she was flat out stated to be a sociopath(using the more accurate term of an Axis II personality disorder from the current DSM).
Simon_Jester wrote:I think part of the problem is that in America, we now have all these accoutrements of police state tactics (secret prisons, secret trials on secret evidence, highly classified state intelligence/security organs, torture...). But we don't have any experience of those tools being used against "us," the we-the-people that constitutes the American mainstream. They only get used on 'weird bad people.'
A similar issue is that of police tactics that cause false confessions. As the overwhelming majority of people have never had contact with police in a negative capacity, it is easy for them to say that they would never confess to something they didn't do. However there is nothing that requires police tell the truth in any capacity in dealing with suspects and it is quite easy for them to convince people to tell what they know until they spill something that incriminates them, regardless of their actual guilt. Most detectives have a relatively easy time convincing someone to ignore the Miranda rights they just signed.

An interesting fact, the homicide clearance rate in the US has dropped from 90% in 1960 to 61% in 2009. This is despite modern forensics being much more effective. The key reason is due to less public cooperation which the issue of torture doesn't exactly help with, though generally the problem is gangs and the corresponding lack of trust in both directions.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Over here in Germany the police by law are always required to speak the truth to subjects, the worst they can do in that regard are hypotheticals like "Do you believe it possible your friend would give you up?". They can never state that they got eyewitnesses where none exist or tell you false facts.
------------
------------
My LPs