OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Re: Washington DC and visiting USA questions

Post by Dalton »

Thanas wrote:
Dalton wrote:And you can pretty much throw a rock and hit a good Italian restaurant.
In my experience, if anybody has ever tasted real Italian cuisine and real Italian pizza then he will not consider American Italian pizza that good. It is a whole different experience.
I have. I've been to Italy. I've had Italian food in Sorrento (fantastic) and in Venice (honestly tasted like Chef Boyardee). I've had pizza there too. I can honestly say that pizza and Italian food in NYC is just as good.

Pizza here is very much YMMV. There's places you go for pasta and places you go for slices.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

My experience is the exact opposite. Instead of the thin Italian pizza in Rome I got...well, US pizza with thick crust that you need knifes to cut instead. It is more closer to the thick pizza sold by Italian street vendors but still not quite the same. Might just be different restaurants though.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Pizza in NYC is highly variable. Despite it's reputation for pizza, NYC probably also has the most shitty pizza places in the world, in terms of sheer volume. The best pizza places are usually the high-end gourmet stuff, like John's on Bleeker street.

And Dalton, no - most Italian restaurants in NYC are mediocre shit. The good ones are usually expensive.

But seriously, just check Yelp or Zagat when you're in a foreign country looking for a good restaurant.

It's the same with Jewish delis. Unless you go to Katz's or Carnegie deli, most of the delis are just mediocre shit.

Halal guys (a cheap street truck) is pretty good though.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Joey Pepperoni's at Bryant Park and Joe's in Union Square are some of the best cheap pizza joints I've ever been to, but the quality really is all over. The higher end stuff can be just as sketchy depending on what you're looking for but I'm probably going off on a tangent.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Thanas wrote:My experience is the exact opposite. Instead of the thin Italian pizza in Rome I got...well, US pizza with thick crust that you need knifes to cut instead. It is more closer to the thick pizza sold by Italian street vendors but still not quite the same. Might just be different restaurants though.
Yeah it really depends on where you get the pizza from. We typically talk about two main varieties of pizza...New York Style (thinner crust, larger diameter pie), and Chicago style (very thick crust, smaller-diameter pie). Which style you prefer depends on your taste. A proper Chicago-style deep dish is a full meal. You eat with a fork and knife, but you can stuff it full with all sorts of goodies. A New York-style pizza is thinner and can't hold as many toppings, but the crust can be crispier and overall tends not to be quite as soggy.

Pizza joints around the country can do both styles and even some extremes like a stuffed-crust pizza, or an extra-thin crust pizza. As a general rule, the best pizzas come from the little shops on street corners and not the big chains.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Dalton wrote:I've had Italian food in Sorrento (fantastic) and in Venice (honestly tasted like Chef Boyardee).
Venetian food quality and prices have almost no correlation. Outside of the Square of St Marcus, we barely found any differences in price between the most awesome home-made stuff and the crap they save for tourists.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

General Zod wrote:Joey Pepperoni's at Bryant Park and Joe's in Union Square are some of the best cheap pizza joints I've ever been to, but the quality really is all over. The higher end stuff can be just as sketchy depending on what you're looking for but I'm probably going off on a tangent.
Joey Pepperoni is really quite literally a hole in the wall.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Has anyone tried Wolfgang Puck's restaurants? I know the name mainly from watching Hell's kitchen. Apparently in Disneyworld he has a restaurant.

http://www.wolfgangpuckcafeorlando.com/

Thinking of trying him out.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Never been, but it always struck me as being above my pay grade.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."