Minor Russian Background Questions

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Minor Russian Background Questions

Post by Kitsune »

Working on an NPC for my website, a Russian fighter pilot
I have a few questions I hope somebody might help with. Starting with these two and might have others.
1. The character is a speed freak -
At around 250,000 Euros, I think the Marussia B-1 is out of a pilot's personal budget
What might one have that is more affordable?
2. What kind of computer / laptops are common in Russia?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Re: Minor Russian Background Questions

Post by Irbis »

Kitsune wrote:Working on an NPC for my website, a Russian fighter pilot
I have a few questions I hope somebody might help with. Starting with these two and might have others.
Where exactly he is stationed? There is big difference between one right next to capital and a unit way back in the ass end of Siberia. Something that wouldn't look out of place in Moscow could raise a lot of eyebrows in Yekaterinburg.
1. The character is a speed freak -
At around 250,000 Euros, I think the Marussia B-1 is out of a pilot's personal budget
What might one have that is more affordable?
Marussia Motors bankrupted, you know, not that they were affordable anyway, targeted at new Russkies, not common people. Something like used Porsche 911? Think something affordable by EU middle class.

Alternatively, if he is collector and/or patriot, maybe some tune Soviet sport car? :wink:
2. What kind of computer / laptops are common in Russia?
Same as in the west?

Though, again, depends - designer, expensive laptops like Sony or Apple are hard to find outside of Russia's top income cities. Quite a lot of computers sold there are korean/taiwan/chinese brands smuggled or legally shipped to Siberian ports. Things like Acer, Asus, Samsung, Lenovo. There is also relatively big market for barebone laptops.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

As far as vehicle, I ended up going with a
2010 BMW S1000RR Sport Bike
New as about 13,800 US

For laptop did not end up specifying
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Kitsune wrote:As far as vehicle, I ended up going with a
New as about 13,800 US
Problem with bike is, they are kind of unsuitable for half of Russia, but could work, I guess.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Irbis wrote:
Kitsune wrote:As far as vehicle, I ended up going with a
New as about 13,800 US
Problem with bike is, they are kind of unsuitable for half of Russia, but could work, I guess.
Bikes such as it are at least available?
Thinking for when roads are bad, what is the Russian equivalent of a Jeep (I mean the Civilian Jeep not military)
Thomas Paine

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Kitsune wrote:Bikes such as it are at least available?
Thinking for when roads are bad, what is the Russian equivalent of a Jeep (I mean the Civilian Jeep not military)
Should be, but outside of rich regions, quite a lot of roads in post soviet states look like this. Not very good for speed biking. Also, deep snow half a year in big part of Russia.

Jeep? This is very popular, cheap car, you also have access to big range of Chinese/Japanese cars and new Russian off road models like middle class new Niva or more expensive Tigr.