Anyone for a meetup in Leeds (UK)?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Anyone for a meetup in Leeds (UK)?

Post by Zixinus »

I have arrived in Leeds a few days ago, visiting relatives. I'll be here for a bit more than two weeks.

Anyone fancy a meetup? I plan on visiting a few museums and I have burrowed a bike and GPS, so I can get around. I am even considering visiting York for the Viking museum.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Re: Anyone for a meetup in Leeds (UK)?

Post by Sinewmire »

My flatmate recently visited the Yorvik Viking Centre - they were really disappointed.

We're all pretty interested in Vikings, so it might just be that they knew too much about 'em to learn anything new, but they were distinctly unimpressed.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

No, having lived in York, the yorvik is distinctly unimpressive. York generally, weirdly enough, is a bit rubbish on the museum front.
If you can, get yourself to Manchester. About the same price on the train as to york, and a much better selection of museums and so on.
I live just north of there, so I'm around ish...
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I like York, but the train fare's expensive as all hell and we'd have to address the issue of how to pronounce my username, because I genuinely don't know. Also, I'm not sure I trust some of you lot to refrain from posting the inevitable fistfight with Starglider up on YouTube.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

I always thought it was z-ow-n (zowne?) or something. If that makes any sort of sense.
Why do you like york? :P The shambles is a mess and there just isn't much to do. And Manchester has another IWM :P (though it's in salford...)
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

barnest2 wrote:I always thought it was z-ow-n (zowne?) or something.
I assumed it ryhmed with 'Shaun'. It was either that or Zah-Une.
Why do you like york? :P The shambles is a mess and there just isn't much to do.
York always stuck me as a pretty generic northern town that happened to have a castle in the middle. Even Leeds has more interesting stuff in it.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

So, what do you guys recommend I visit?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

It's from a constructed language for an as yet-unpublished fantasy novel created by an old friend of mine, and if there was ever a pronunciation guide I've long ago lost it. I only used it on here because 'Jake', my preferred handle, was already taken.

And why do I like York? Well, the Yorvick Centre (Jorvik? I dunno) was really awesome when I was a kid and the Shambles is fun to wander through. But then I was brought up in Wellingborough, so maybe my standards are low.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog