Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Post by Crazedwraith »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:So ... yet another Turtles property. That won't be confusing at all ... what, with Teen Titans: Redux a TMNT series currently running on Nickelodeon.
You think people can't tell two different versions of TMNT apart? Even when one is live action and the other is entirely animated? Really?

This is how we get dumb shit like the Batembargo on Justice League, so it wouldn't be confused with The Batman.

Don't validate companies 'viewers are morons' viewpoint. Just... don't.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Is it weird that I didn't recognize that it was Megan Fox playing April O'Neill? She must have patched things up with Michael Bay over Transformers.

In any case, I'm fairly meh over this. The Turtles look great, but the movie looks like it's ripping off the recent Spiderman movies in some ways.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

I don't see Master Splinter in this remake. He is, after all, a radical rat.

Anyway, let's start taking bets for the Rotten Tomatoes aggregate score. I predict 52%.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Channel72 wrote:Anyway, let's start taking bets for the Rotten Tomatoes aggregate score. I predict 52%.
I'm pretty sure critics hated the original movies and, unless I'm way out of touch, you don't have the popularity among the kids (and their parents) of the IP to boost the viewer scores. They only thing likely to drag it out of Dungeons and Dragons territory is that it's much more likely to have a high production value. However, if they can mutilate the source material enough to make it a shitty Batman ripoff, they might skate by with your prediction.

But reviewers are easily taken in, what with the hilarity of those reviews I've read on Dark Knight and Rises. So, if they can cobble together some kind of social commentary and pass of confusing pacing and/or giant plot-holes through editing, you never know.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

"That's what your father and I were trying to do"

Splinter is April's father. Calling it.
JADAFETWA
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

Kuja wrote:"That's what your father and I were trying to do"

I'll take that bet, her father is Shredder.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I couldn't hear what was said in the trailer but has the word "Cowabunga" been uttered or did they use Nickelodeon's "Booyakasha!"?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Luke Starkiller wrote:
Kuja wrote:"That's what your father and I were trying to do"

I'll take that bet, her father is Shredder.
Shredder is the one talking though.
JADAFETWA
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I wonder if they're going to ditch the entire Oroku Saki persona. He doesn't look very Japanese...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Borgholio wrote:I wonder if they're going to ditch the entire Oroku Saki persona. He doesn't look very Japanese...
That's an interesting way of putting it...

Is the imdb page legit? Warrick Davis as Splinter and voiced by Tony Shaloub? Johnny Knoxville as the voice of Leonardo and Whoopie Goldberg....woaaaah man. I have to see this trainwreck at some point. I might hit up Chris and check this out at some place that serves alcohol and just enjoy the insanity.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

TheFeniX wrote:Wait, did someone edit turtles into the new Batman movie?
The Turtles comics started as a parody of grimdark 80s/90s comics, so y'know that's probably not a bad way of approaching a modern movie of them...
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Vendetta wrote:
TheFeniX wrote:Wait, did someone edit turtles into the new Batman movie?
The Turtles comics started as a parody of grimdark 80s/90s comics, so y'know that's probably not a bad way of approaching a modern movie of them...
I get this is hypocritical on my part since even the 80s cartoon wasn't faithful to the original: but the popularity of TMNT came from said cartoon, rather than their origins.

The original premise (of the cartoon) was pretty dumb: random toxic waste mutates 4 turtles and a man into mutants who kung-fu fight their way against an evil man in desperate need of a metal wax. But that really didn't matter, because nothing about anything had to make sense. Like in the latest movie (SPOILERS!): Patrick Stewart is a 10,000 year old Mayan (or whatever) general who is cursed with immortality and has to round up a bunch of monsters so he can finally die. Also, Raphael is a dick and motherfuckin' Casey Jones!

Right off the bat, we have to ask the question for the new movie: in their bid to create super-soliders, someone thought box-turtle genetics were the way to go? Why? Speed? Their ability to roll over when knocked on their back? The diseases they carry? Since when do we need super-soldiers to fight crime? Crime is this bad? Where's the national guard (oh wait, they don't exist in Hollywood writing). In what way would spending millions (or billions) on genetic research to make 4 mutant turtles be better than just hiring a shit-load more cops? Why is Megan Fox still allowed to "act" in movies. Seriously, Gellar was awesome in the CGI movie. Also, she can act and is much easier on the eyes than Fox.

Anyways, once you start building somewhat of a believable premise, I start drinking heavily and tearing your stupid-shit writing apart, like in "The Dark Knight." Because people ate that shit up, but it's just as stupid and convoluted as the plot of Final Fantasy VII that nerds masturbate to. And Dark Knight didn't have to contend with translation failures, so it's even worse.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Looks like they went with my favorite version from the original run of comics with some slight modifications.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Justifiable necro - new trailer is out.

I can say that this has definitely gotten my hopes up.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Yeah the second trailer's swung it for me a little - but I almost never trust trailers these days.
However, if they keep the tongue-in-cheek humour I'd be fine with that.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Shredder looks like ass. Apparently they're going with the robot-exoskeleton type thing. I don't particularly care for it.

Turtles are looking a little bit better, but I'm not sure if they've been fudging with their faces a little or if it's just growing on me...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

I see they put in a cute reference to the "Turtles as aliens" controversy.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Elheru Aran wrote:Shredder looks like ass. Apparently they're going with the robot-exoskeleton type thing. I don't particularly care for it.
Looks more like "The Predator" got kidnapped by Cyberdine.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

That's Cyberdyne. Get it right. It's not an online food ordering service. They make killer AI and shit.

Hmm... Cyberdine... mental note: create a new startup called "Cyberdine" to compete with Grubhub, cashing in on the cultural association with the Terminator franchise. Who wants to invest?
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Channel72 wrote:That's Cyberdyne. Get it right. It's not an online food ordering service. They make killer AI and shit.

Hmm... Cyberdine... mental note: create a new startup called "Cyberdine" to compete with Grubhub, cashing in on the cultural association with the Terminator franchise. Who wants to invest?
It'd only work if you delivered via drones
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

After finally seeing the trailer count me into the cautiously optimistic crowd as opposed to the "ready to be disappointed crowd"
The noses still look stupid but yes, the individual turtle designs look better even if once again thank you trailer for spoiling what should be a solid OHSHIT moment of the Shredder's mech suit.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I'm somewhat optimistic for this. I loved TMNT as a kid in the early 90's. Hm. I wonder what happened to my old ammo can full of TMNT trading cards...
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.