Ford vs Cadillac commercials on business

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Re: Ford vs Cadillac commercials on business

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Scrib wrote:blah blah blah you're talking around me again blah blah blah.
Scrib, go back and read what I wrote. We're both saying the same fucking thing. If you really just want me to call you a dumb motherfucker for old times sake you could have just asked.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

I don't see how this is on me. I was minding my own business when you came in and called me an idiot for not being being cynical enough because you failed to look at the rest of the thread. Are you going to whine about me calling you an idiot considering the fucking lake of troll-venom that lurks under all of your posts?

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant bit of re-framing to try to put this on me but...no.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Scrib wrote:I don't see how this is on me. I was minding my own business when you came in and called me an idiot for not being being cynical enough because you failed to look at the rest of the thread.
Yeah, screwball, I didn't bother even noticing you int this thread until you responded to Purple saying I had a point. Go back and read. See, yeah, right there is where you invoked the Coffee Clause of the SDN debate rules. So as I said, next time have a care before you say something fucking stupid.

Scrib wrote:Are you going to whine about me calling you an idiot considering the fucking lake of troll-venom that lurks under all of your posts?
No need to whine about it. We established that you're a fucking idiot inside of your first dozen or so pots, man.

Scrib wrote:I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant bit of re-framing to try to put this on me but...no.
Then don't say stupid shit, especially when you agree with me on the threads topic, you dense fucking twat.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Scrib wrote:I don't see how this is on me. I was minding my own business when you came in and called me an idiot for not being being cynical enough because you failed to look at the rest of the thread.
Yeah, screwball, I didn't bother even noticing you int this thread until you responded to Purple saying I had a point. Go back and read. See, yeah, right there is where you invoked the Coffee Clause of the SDN debate rules. So as I said, next time have a care before you say something fucking stupid.
Except I said the opposite?

My whole point was that your complaining about people complaining about decisions of capitalists was pointless. It doesn't make sense if we're talking about people working the market. Sure, you're right that these firms do what they do for money, you simply don't extend that self-interested view to the people pressuring these firms. Which...leads to pointless slamming of one end of the exchange.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Scrib wrote:Except I said the opposite?
Scrib wrote:
Purple wrote:Well you do have a point there.
Does he really though?
What's it like living with the sort of faulty memory that you can't even remember something you wrote less than a dozen posts back? Worse, since you agree with me, calling me having a point into question makes it even funnier. You should really seek a doctor's advice about that, son.

Scrib wrote:My whole point was that your complaining about people complaining about decisions of capitalists was pointless. It doesn't make sense if we're talking about people working the market. Sure, you're right that these firms do what they do for money, you simply don't extend that self-interested view to the people pressuring these firms. Which...leads to pointless slamming of one end of the exchange.
And my point was that calling out a luxury car manufacturer for making an advertisement targeted at the people they usually sell cars to is fucking retarded. Do you disagree or not? If not then why are you still goddamn talking to me?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Yeah, that ad was a luxury car company trying to appeal to people who have the income to afford a new luxury car. If you think that qualifies as Onion-grade satire then you're every bit as dense as these fuckers that think the Ford ad was anything other than a cynical attempt to appeal to lower income customers in order to sell their own cars.

Then again, this is SDN, so fuck that entire forest because this one single tree is just soooooo groovy, man.
I get that masculine archetypes often play into car ads, which are often augmented by nationalism. What makes the first ad so strange is that it goes to such a crazy level, to the point where the first forty five seconds could be for just about anything that could be advertised with the help of a nationalist screed.

What makes it go from strange to satirical is the usage of the USA's bizarre attitude towards worker holidays. Of course, the ad was (presumably) mean for domestic consumption, so perhaps it just looks like a satire someone from outside of the US might make. :P
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Scrib wrote:
Purple wrote:Well you do have a point there.
Does he really though?
What's it like living with the sort of faulty memory that you can't even remember something you wrote less than a dozen posts back? Worse, since you agree with me, calling me having a point into question makes it even funnier. You should really seek a doctor's advice about that, son.
Uh...dude? Purple wrote that. My response: does he really though? Is clearly meant to cast doubt on his statement.
Scrib wrote:My whole point was that your complaining about people complaining about decisions of capitalists was pointless. It doesn't make sense if we're talking about people working the market. Sure, you're right that these firms do what they do for money, you simply don't extend that self-interested view to the people pressuring these firms. Which...leads to pointless slamming of one end of the exchange.
And my point was that calling out a luxury car manufacturer for making an advertisement targeted at the people they usually sell cars to is fucking retarded. Do you disagree or not? If not then why are you still goddamn talking to me?
I think thinking that luxury car manufacturers are moral beings is retarded. I think calling people out for calling them out is also retarded because that's how the market works. Whether they are moral or not is irrelevant to the fact that, as huge powerful entities they can be beneficial to us and it is in our interests to make this clear to them. I think you're being overly simplistic for the sake of slamming those idealistic internet nerds.

As for why I talk to you:I dunno. I'm bored?
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Gandalf wrote:
What makes it go from strange to satirical is the usage of congratulateszarre attitude towards worker holidays. Of course, the ad was (presumably) mean for domestic consumption, so perhaps it just looks like a satire someone from outside of the US might make. :P
Yeah, the whole "lol lazy europeans" thing was pretty funny, especially when you consider that whole "pull-yoursefl-up-by-your-bootstraps" mentality that a lot of Americans have. Also, that guy's Euro counterźpart is probably driving a BMW or Mercedes (you know, real luxury cars), that costs twice what that Caddy does while appearently taking month long vacations at will.

The only market that ad works for is deluded rich white assholes that want to congratulate themselves for being snotty dicks by buying a rebadged Chevy.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Scrib wrote:[
Uh...dude? Purple wrote that. My response: does he really though? Is clearly meant to cast doubt on his statement. [/quote]

Goddamnit.... Ok, Purple said I had point. You then said "does he really", implying that i either didn't have a point or that you disagreed with my point. not sure how I can make this any more clear without opening MS Paint and drawing you a fucking flowchart.
I think thinking that luxury car manufacturers are moral beings is retarded. I think calling people out for calling them out is also retarded because that's how the market works. Whether they are moral or not is irrelevant to the fact that, as huge powerful entities they can be beneficial to us and it is in our interests to make this clear to them. I think you're being overly simplistic for the sake of slamming those idealistic internet nerds.
Not just luxury car companies. What you're saying applies to car companies across the board.

Also, you're the one making an argument about the morality of it, not me. I firmly believe every single company on the scale Ford operates at are amoral as fuck regardless of the industry.
As for why I talk to you:I dunno. I'm bored?
Fair enough. Carry on.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

i'm more a fan of the lincoln ad's from '08-'09

starship

liftoff-mks version

liftoff-mkz version

simple, elegant, awesome.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

My husband made me watch the videos saying he wanted input from the target demographic.
So I did.
I'm still buying a Buick.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker