Winter's Knight

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Winter's Knight

Post by Civil War Man »

So, when I saw an article about this on Cracked a few days ago, I would have thought it was a parody had they not included links.
Link 1 Link 2

What we have here is a dark gritty re-imagining of Santa Claus. He fights vikings. Sony paid $1 million for the privilege of being the studio to produce it.

It is so utterly absurd, it's hard to imagine it being anything other than a generation-defining masterpiece or an unmitigated disaster that is remembered only so it can be held up as an example of the hubris of humanity.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Re: Winter's Knight

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

While ludicrous on the face of it, the chances of it ever actually being made are pretty slim.

The movie studios entire approach is brute force. They throw money at every single fucking idea they possibly can, and only a small trickle actually make it far enough to be filmed, and even then not all of those are even finished and released. It is more valuable for the studios to spend the money to own the rights to the idea and sit on it so another studio can't get a surprise blockbuster. It's silly, but it makes perfect business sense given the way Hollywood operates (and a certain degree of it is certainly studio heads looking towards job preservation; nobody will get mad at them for wasting $1 million, that means nothing in the long term. But if Fox suddenly comes in and turns the movie into a mega-blockbuster, then heads may roll).

Also, as is frequent in Hollywood, movies will undergo infinite rewrites before their final version is made. Original screenplays and final products can be mutually unrecognizable in a lot of cases. If this movie does get made, its final version might have nothing to do with Santa Claus, or Vikings.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Re: Winter's Knight

Post by Executor32 »

Even if the concept makes its way to the screen completely intact, could it possibly be any more ridiculous than Santa's Slay? I think not.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow