'Noah' movie preemptively banned

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: 'Noah' movie preemptively banned

Post by Borgholio »

According to the bible, all babies are born without sin. They learn sin as they grow older and move way from God. So I'm sure there were quite a few innocent newborns on Earth who drowned along with their sinner parents.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Aleva13
Redshirt

Post by Aleva13 »

To that I say: original sin.
A lesbian redshirt, thats like double narrative points there...
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Which is a very Old Testament concept that isn't going to play well with modern audiences. "Even the babies are guilty because they're descended from Adam and Eve, don't'cha know?" is not going to cut it.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

They could take the stance that God knew they were going to grow up evil, but that has the same issues. Plus, Noah could have raised all the kids himself so they grew up to be good.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Well, death isn't so bad if you're an innocent and the more benevolent interpretations of the Bible are accurate. Going to "paradise" beats the hell out of being surrounded by a bunch of evil fucks who will make life horrible.

Or so the excuse could go.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I can't wait to see how much smaller the movie boat will be than a boat designed to carry millions of animals and feed would need to be.

I also want to see how much is changed to try and get modern audiences to take the story seriously.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Jub wrote:I can't wait to see how much smaller the movie boat will be than a boat designed to carry millions of animals and feed would need to be.

I also want to see how much is changed to try and get modern audiences to take the story seriously.
I haven't seen it yet, but I've read some pretty spoiler-laden reviews as well as the plot summary for it.
Spoiler
1. They mostly just avoid the issue, in part because "animals aboard the Ark" is more of an after-thought than a central focus of the movie (although they do tie into the idea of Noah and his family being care-takers of animals, versus the descendants of Cain who slaughter and kill them for food). They come to the Ark of their own volition/god's command, and get put into sleep/hibernation once they're on for the duration of the trip.

2. The movie takes some interesting liberties with the original story, including some of the wild stuff from Book of Enoch like fallen angels. Apparently Noah recites the "Seven Days" stories of creation early on as part of the "build-up to the present", but what you actually see on screen is something akin to what scientists believe happened, including evolution until we get to the whole "Garden of Eden" bit (at which point it turns back into the Bible story, of sorts). And the central conflict for most of the movie is between the descendants of Adam's son Shem (Noah and his family) who believe in being care-takers of the world and animals, and the descendants of Cain, who have basically destroyed the world environment building a proto-industrial civilization and are falling into civil war and cannibalism out of desperation.

It also tackles the issue head-on of what kind of person would be willing to build an Ark and let everyone else but his family and some animals drown. Noah's a religious fanatic who believes that it's God's judgment that humanity dies off (at first), and it's apparently not shown as a good thing. He overrides his family when they suggest that they bring some other people aboard.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Thing is, if only Noah's family is saved, wouldn't that mean a) the whole of humanity would be horribly inbred and b) there aren't enough people left to form a sustainable gene pool?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Thing is, if only Noah's family is saved, wouldn't that mean a) the whole of humanity would be horribly inbred and b) there aren't enough people left to form a sustainable gene pool?
Go back even further. Where did Cain's wife come from?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

True. I was just talking about the film, not the biblical stuff, which is weird enough as is.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

You know, when a dude is created from dirt and brought to life by God blowing into his nose, and then a woman is created from the earth golem's rib, I kind of stop asking questions about the problems of genetics. When the former happens, the latter can be handwaved by saying that God prevented the problems of inbreeding, or that genetic corruption was absent and only came about through man's sins after the Flood. (Started before ET's post went through, posting it anyway because I enjoy being blasphemous)
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

heh...Earth Golem.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Ahriman238 wrote:Which is a very Old Testament concept that isn't going to play well with modern audiences. "Even the babies are guilty because they're descended from Adam and Eve, don't'cha know?" is not going to cut it.
Old Testament? Pretty sure original sin is a Christian idea.