Federal Work Studies & Unemployment?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Federal Work Studies & Unemployment?

Post by Kitsune »

My roommate is going to school at ITT Tech and was part of the Federal Work Studies program
Everybody involved in that today at his school was told that they are out of Federal Work studies grant money.
They basically let everybody go
Can he collect unemployment?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Federal Work Studies & Unemployment?

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

I don't know for sure but he should submit the paperwork and plead his case if they contact him. I know one person that intentionally quit his job, which was paid only off of commission, and he was granted unemployment after he plead his case. So, he should try.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

ITT Tech has a financial aid office, right? They're really the ones your friend should be talking to. He should also talk with the local branch of his state's unemployment office (or whatever name they operate under) and ask them before he goes and files anything.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Back when I was employed under the work-study program no, you couldn't ask for unemployment... but that was nearly 30 years ago. The rules might have changed.

It wouldn't hurt to at least ask, the worst that can happen is your friend is told "no". Even then, the place you go to ask about UI will almost always have other resources for the job seeker - job listings, resume/interview help, etc.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice