promtion and lateral transfer

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

dragon
Sith Marauder

promtion and lateral transfer

Post by dragon »

Well I earned a promotion to GS11 only problem is it came with a lateral transfer from the office to the production floor. So i go from having an office to a big room with 12 people in it, no privacy and not even a desk. Instead I gotta share a workbench with 3 others.

I'm thinking I should have turned down the promotion :shock:
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: promtion and lateral transfer

Post by General Zod »

Do they at least pay more?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

General Zod wrote:Do they at least pay more?
Yeah about 7k more a year so at least that
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

To me it seems better to be in the same room as other people you´re able to talk to.
I´ve had both and prefer sharing offices with others.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

yeah but I'm pretty much antisocial don't like talking to people
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

dragon wrote:yeah but I'm pretty much antisocial don't like talking to people
You're going to have to get over it as you continue up the chain, although you know that by now as a GS11.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Grow up. It's a $7k boost per year. You'll get over it.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

JLTucker wrote:Grow up. It's a $7k boost per year. You'll get over it.
Being paranoid schizophrenic with being an sever introvert I afraid I might not get over it.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Well, I think you will find it better than you think. I've worked in similar situations and always enjoyed it. Do you know what your schedules will be like? If you are really having problems it might not be impossible to tinker with schedules so you spend a lot of time there in relative solitude, or something. That said, I don't have the slightest idea what you do so I have no idea if this is practical.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

dragon wrote:
JLTucker wrote:Grow up. It's a $7k boost per year. You'll get over it.
Being paranoid schizophrenic with being an sever introvert I afraid I might not get over it.
Give it a try. If you're worried, see your therapist regularly. That should really help.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

dragon wrote:Being paranoid schizophrenic with being an sever introvert I afraid I might not get over it.
You'll be fine, they're your co-workers, they're not out to kill you, they're fellow professionals doing their jobs.

It's not retail where you're dealing with the general public and at least 95% of the people are fucking assholes or morons, usually both.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

aerius wrote:
dragon wrote:Being paranoid schizophrenic with being an sever introvert I afraid I might not get over it.
You'll be fine, they're your co-workers, they're not out to kill you, they're fellow professionals doing their jobs.

It's not retail where you're dealing with the general public and at least 95% of the people are fucking assholes or morons, usually both.
yeah thats the problem with paranoid schizophrenia intellectually you know it but accepting is something different
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Hang in there.

And when the first interoffice fight comes (and it will) remember that they are probably not out to get you.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
fuzzymillipede
Youngling

Post by fuzzymillipede »

Dude, being in the same room with other people is awesome. If I was stuck in a room by myself all day I would go crazy.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

fuzzymillipede wrote:Dude, being in the same room with other people is awesome. If I was stuck in a room by myself all day I would go crazy.
You. Singular.

Not everybody shares your psychological makeup. This is a tastes and preferences issue. Telling dragon he's wrong is not helpful as he is not wrong. He merely has different tastes and preferences.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

yeah overheard several of the people talking bad about kevin and started saying to mysel i am imagining it. Turns out they were bad mouthing kevin just not me but a different kevin.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I don't know much about this sort of thing, but would going out of your way to get to know the crew outside of the job do anything to help your mind set? Maybe make a few friends among the guys, so that when it feels like somebody is out to get you at least a few guys might seem like they're on your side or at least not out to get you.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Jub wrote:I don't know much about this sort of thing, but would going out of your way to get to know the crew outside of the job do anything to help your mind set? Maybe make a few friends among the guys, so that when it feels like somebody is out to get you at least a few guys might seem like they're on your side or at least not out to get you.
Yeah it would but i make friends difficulty. wether its the ps or the depression up for grab. Oh well it will work out in th end
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

dragon wrote:Yeah it would but i make friends difficulty. wether its the ps or the depression up for grab. Oh well it will work out in th end
I feel you on that one, I struggle with depression and anxiety myself and it can be rough meeting and feeling comfortable around new people. I wish I had more to offer but I'm sure you're going to make best of this new position so all I can do is wish you luck.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Chilling in the office with other people but it depends on the culture. In my office several key individuals cause it to be run like high school politics with the cool kids and not cool kids. The 35 year older men are chasing after the 22 year old girls, certain people who are note popular enough are excluded and remaining individuals bond by talking crap about the excluded individuals.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

You should check out the book "The Everything Guide to the Introvert Edge". It goes into detail about techniques to thrive in extrovert-dominated offices, even ones with little to no privacy. It's all about carving out space for yourself to recharge.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong