Advice: How do you deal with looming non existence?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

AMT
Jedi Knight

Advice: How do you deal with looming non existence?

Post by AMT »

Mainly for the fellow atheists or those who don't believe in an afterlife...

How do you handle the fact that life ends? To me, that's the biggest issue I've found. Bad enough to hamper my quality of life and keep my up sleepless nights. I could go into more detail, but to me the worst thing in the world is that life ends, and with it me, who I am. I don't want to go away, but I know I will.

So for those who feel the same way or similar, how do you handle it?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: Advice: How do you deal with looming non existence?

Post by Flagg »

Nanobots. I plan to live forever.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Tony Stark
Redshirt

Post by Tony Stark »

Flagg wrote:Nanobots. I plan to live forever.

Same. Failing that though, i just don't give a crap about death absolutely no point in worrying about it once you have your will done.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Well, if you'd like to know, this quote from Robots and Empire kinda sums up my viewpoint (though I admit I'd like to delay the death of my personality and intelligence for as long as possible):
Baley’s voice was growing weaker. Though Daneel sat motionless, his face was in the unusual condition of reflecting emotion. It was set in an expression of concern and sorrow. Baley’s eyes were closed and he could not see that.
“My death, Daneel,” he said, “is not important. No individual death among human beings is important. Someone who dies leaves his work behind and that does not entirely die. It never entirely dies as long as humanity exists. --Do you understand what I’m saying?”
Daneel said, “Yes, Partner Elijah.”
“The work of each individual contributes to a totality and so becomes an undying part of the totality. That totality of human lives--past and present and to come--forms a tapestry that has been in existence now for many tens of thousands of years and has been growing more elaborate and, on the whole, more beautiful in all that time. Even the Spacers are an offshoot of the tapestry and they, too, add to the elaborateness and beauty of the pattern. An individual life is one thread in the tapestry and what is one thread compared to the whole?
“Daneel, keep your mind fixed firmly on the tapestry and do not let the trailing off of a single thread affect you. There are so many other threads, each valuable, each contributing..."
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Many years have passed before I existed. Many more will pass once I am gone. Whenever my mind turns to my own end or brief mortality I content myself with the fact I managed well enough before I existed. I assume I'll do just as well after I'm gone.

In other words... denial
It's such a delightful human habit.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I just try not to think about it. As an athiest, I don't believe in God. However, it's quite indeed possible that I'm wrong, and after I close my eyes...I wake up on a cloud strumming a harp or something. Or more exotic, I wake up on a bed in a new body created by aliens or future humans whom have managed to capture my consciousness at the moment of death. No telling what will happen.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

I...don't? I don't know how I exactly deal with it tbh. I just move on with my life content in the knowledge that both society and biology will help me move past such things, most likely by keeping me too busy to worry. Failing that the thought of non-existence is simply not terrifying. Permanent existence on the other hand... The greater horror of death comes in how it makes your priorities and life look when you know it'll all end.

I could perhaps come up with some existentialist quote that summarizes it but they're often not convincing (and smack of rationalization).
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

If life is finite and that end bothers you, then live each moment to its fullest. Life, then, is here to be enjoyed.

A good movie is only two hours long. Do you worry that the movie is going to end, or do you enjoy watching the movie?
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

we're made of stardust
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

AMT wrote:So for those who feel the same way or similar, how do you handle it?
Make the most of it.

Live your life how you want to live it. If all you want to do with your life is sit on your arse and eat spaghetti while watching sitcoms, then do it. If you want to just roam the world, do it. As long as nobody's getting hurt, there's no issue.

That way, at the end you can at least say that you did it your own way.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

Do what you can with what you've got where you are. Live life to the fullest. Enjoy every moment. Pick a mantra and run with it. Having seen both parents and a number of close relatives pass on, I look at it this way: everyone is going to die, so as long as you lived your life as best you could and enjoyed the time you had, whatever happens after will happen. No sense worrying about it because, well, we don't know what it is and can't change it if we did.
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

For the last few years, I have done everything I can to fully face my own mortality, and accept the fact that one day I will die, and everything I do in my life will not change this.
Far from it becoming a paralysing fear, it's become one of the most liberating revelations I've ever had. Life is short. Make the most of it, because there is no second chance, no heaven or hell, no reincarnation. Once you're dead, that's it.
Also, death itself for me is neutral at worst. My concsiousness will cease to exist upon death, I will no longer be aware of my surroundings and will no longer have thoughts.
And consider this: we are human beings, eventually we get bored of things, no matter how stimulating they are to begin with. Spending an ETERNITY in paradise would eventually become a nightmare. Not a hundred years, or a million, but INFINITY YEARS. Fuck that, I'd rather live a long and fulfilling life, and then rest forever, having played my small part in the world.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I plan to live well enough that I'm fondly remembered, and do what I can to make my friend's and family lives as happy as I can.

I tihnk this quote sums up my view:

"It matters not how we die, as long as we die better mean than we thought we could be and no worse than we feared."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Malagar
Youngling

Post by Malagar »

Personally I don't really think about it, not sure if it is because I have accepted it or because I am in denial about it.

However if it worries you too much then I am aware of one form of immortality that you can try to work towards: Being remembered, make (at least some of) humanity remember who you were and you will live on (sort of) in their memory.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

I'm personally more concerned about the moment of death than the concept itself, about the anxiety of knowing it is all about to end.

Then I remind myself that I can't remember when I fell asleep the previous night, that I didn't really exist as a sentient being until the dreaming kicked in at the end of the night.

When it comes, it won't matter, because you won't remember it..... Dying is, in essence, losing the ability to remember you are alive. So, as many have said, best to focus on what you are doing and what makes you happy.

And nanobots. Although I want a robot body with tank threads.
unsigned
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

If you are thinking of it as "looming", then not only have you framed your thinking in an ominous way in your mind but given it an immediacy that is probably unjustified (probably). Think instead about what you plan on doing today or what you are enjoying right now, and just not think about death until its actually upon you. Great things aren't usually accomplished by those who obsess over the uncontrollable. Just know that you are going to die, but you are going to do a lot of things before then that will outlive you.

Oh, and what Oskuro said about sleep. Actually, for myself my "experiences" with epileptic seizures (or rather, the total lack of mental awareness during them) kinda took some of the mysteriousness out of "non-existence", as you call it.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Gandalf wrote:
Make the most of it.

Live your life how you want to live it. If all you want to do with your life is sit on your arse and eat spaghetti while watching sitcoms, then do it. If you want to just roam the world, do it. As long as nobody's getting hurt, there's no issue.

Why does someone being hurt matter? After all, non-existence will take us all eventually no? There is no punishment, no universal outrage. What is to stop me from indulging my desire to collect human toes? This is what I mean: the things that people say give life meaning when you ask almost always fall within socially acceptable or valuable means of expression. Benign hedonism, procreation, relationships etc. All quite convenient no?
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Flagg wrote:Nanobots. I plan to live forever.
What's your plan for dealing with heat death and possible proton decay?
「かかっ―」
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I don't. Seriously, there is nothing to deal with. I am and thus I am. And when I am no more than I shall be no more. Since there is no god or afterlife or anything like that there is nothing intellectual or philosophical about it. And since not being means I won't feel bad about it there is nothing to fear either. The whole thing is about as emotionally and intellectually charged a thought as "the sun rises in the east" or "the coordinates of a pixel on a computer monitor are usually measured from the top-left corner".

The best I can offer you is a shrug of the shoulders and a meaningless "yes, and?"
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I simply don't give a fuck. There's absolutely nothing I do that's going to change the fact that at some point in the future I cease to exist, so why worry? If you're free-falling for ten thousand feet without a chute are you going to panic the whole way down or shrug and enjoy the view?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Scrib wrote:
Gandalf wrote:
Make the most of it.

Why does someone being hurt matter? After all, non-existence will take us all eventually no? There is no punishment, no universal outrage. What is to stop me from indulging my desire to collect human toes? This is what I mean: the things that people say give life meaning when you ask almost always fall within socially acceptable or valuable means of expression. Benign hedonism, procreation, relationships etc. All quite convenient no?
Have at it. Just don't start whining when someone decides to cap your ass because you tried to turn their appendages into a trophy without permission.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Fearing death is almost a bit silly. It's like being afraid of what might lurk north of the north pole. Fear of pain makes sense, fear of loss, fear of failure, etc. But fear of death... that's like being afraid of never being born. It makes very little sense.

I'm usually content to think that in the last 5,000 years, humanity has gone from bronze age tribes to sending robots to Mars. I can only imagine what the next 5,000 years will bring. And while I'm a bit sad I won't personally get to experience it, I'm still quite happy to be part of a tiny slice of this little adventure.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Expected utility of fixating on this is negligible, so I don't waste time on it. Rationally, the only relevant things to fear are negative effects of premature death on others, and to a lesser extent not achieving things you could/should/wanted to achieve. Of course in stressful situations you're going to get visceral, irrational fear directly from self-preservation instinct, but that shouldn't be triggering in a contemplative context.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

General Zod wrote:
Scrib wrote: Why does someone being hurt matter? After all, non-existence will take us all eventually no? There is no punishment, no universal outrage. What is to stop me from indulging my desire to collect human toes? This is what I mean: the things that people say give life meaning when you ask almost always fall within socially acceptable or valuable means of expression. Benign hedonism, procreation, relationships etc. All quite convenient no?
Have at it. Just don't start whining when someone decides to cap your ass because you tried to turn their appendages into a trophy without permission.
That's fair. As long as that's a practical issue I'll factor it into my decision. I'm just trying to tease out where people stand on that whole make-your-own-meaning thing and the sort of problematic things it implies.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

What problems? Everyone does it-- its not like you can force meaning onto someone else's life. Some of us are just more honest about where our life gets meaning than others.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.