If you could make any TV show...

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Scrib
Jedi Knight

Re: If you could make any TV show...

Post by Scrib »

Flagg wrote:Id love to see an American version of Doctor Who just for the lols.

I can see the tagline for it now: "If you think the original English version is up its own ass and has lost it's way, just wait until Americas take on the decades old British Franchise!"
The closest thing to an American DW I can stomach is the now standard episode IN MURICA! I have no interest in seeing anything further than that. Can you imagine the same people in charge of shows with interesting premises like Terra Nova and Revolution getting a hold of this? I'd rather shoot the thing in it's cradle.
Last edited by Scrib on 2014-03-22 07:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:Go watch sliders. It has everything you want except silly British gadgetry.

And yes, it is pretty bad.
The first season of Sliders was great. After that...
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Flagg wrote:Id love to see an American version of Doctor Who just for the lols.

I can see the tagline for it now: "If you think the original English version is up its own ass and has lost it's way, just wait until Americas take on the decades old British Franchise!"
For the love of God please don't do this :)
I would never inflict such torture on the world. That's what the DEA is for!
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Flagg wrote:
Thanas wrote:Go watch sliders. It has everything you want except silly British gadgetry.

And yes, it is pretty bad.
The first season of Sliders was great. After that...

For me it went downhill after...
Spoiler
They actually made it back home, but they didn't realize it and left...never to find their way back. See, one of the guys went to his mom's house and the front gate to the yard had squeaked in a particular way since he was a child. He opened the gate and it didn't squeak, so he determined it's not his universe and convinced the others to leave with him. Turns out about 15 minutes before he showed up, a handyman oiled the hinges on the gate.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Borgholio wrote: For me it went downhill after...
Spoiler
They actually made it back home, but they didn't realize it and left...never to find their way back. See, one of the guys went to his mom's house and the front gate to the yard had squeaked in a particular way since he was a child. He opened the gate and it didn't squeak, so he determined it's not his universe and convinced the others to leave with him. Turns out about 15 minutes before he showed up, a handyman oiled the hinges on the gate.
Funny you mention that...
Spoiler
That's actually the end of the first episode of season 2.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

I watched it until they Spoiler
killed off the professor who played Gimly
. I heard when it moved to SciFi it got uncommonly horrible even by their shitty standards at the time.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Season 4(the first Scifi season) was better than the backhalf of season 3. Vampire episode, zombie episode, Nightmare on Elm Street ripoff, Twister ripoff, Island of Dr. Moreau ripoff. It was just plain bad.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Dude, in the first episode on scifi Spoiler
The main female lead is apparently in a Cromag rape camp never to be seen again, the stupid Cromags who were eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil because they ate eyeballs had taken over "Our" Earth
and it just got worse from there.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

I'd love to see a sequel series to Jericho simply titled 'A Civil War'. Apparently they do this in the comics, but who cares? Just pick up where season 2 left off.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Actually I take back Baywatch. I'd like to see John Birmingham's Without Warning trilogy get the full HBO treatment.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Ultonius
Padawan Learner

Post by Ultonius »

(I hope this isn't a necro - I can start a new thread if the mods think it is.)

I'd like to see one of these six adapted for TV (possibly as multiple miniseries, rather than as a single series), in order of preference:

1. David Drake's Hammer's Slammers (starting at 'But Loyal to his Own').

2. Drake's RCN (starting at 'With the Lightnings' or possibly 'Lieutenant Leary, Commanding').

3. Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's The Mote in God's Eye.

4. Pournelle and SM Stirling's The Prince (set during the CoDominium period in the same universe as TMiGE, following the career of John Christian Falkenberg III).

5. Pournelle and various authors' War World (set in the CoDominium/Empire of Man universe, on post-Sauron-conquest Haven, following the haBandari, and their conflict with the Saurons).

6. Niven & Pournelle's Footfall.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Ultonius wrote:(I hope this isn't a necro - I can start a new thread if the mods think it is.)
You're safe. It's only been three weeks since the last post; the cutoff's a month.

I've had a couple of ideas for new Star Trek series, and either way I want both Joss Whedon and Ira Steven Behr on board. Never mind that Firefly and Serenity were both awesome shows; I want Joss because of his scriptwriting skill and experience handling ensemble casts (the two best Trek series gave roughly equal screentime to all cast members, and Joss's experience with ensembles is what got him the job writing and directing The Avengers). I want Ira Steven Behr because of his DS9 run. He knows the setting and I can trust him not to fuck it up.

Idea Number One: TNG-esque deep space exploration show set in the 2380s. Newly launched Starfleet science vessel gets dispatched on a six-year mission to chart areas beyond Federation borders. I have a very vague write-up on Memory Gamma for the USS Jadzia Dax NCC-80175, a Luna-class ship commanded by Jennifer Kirkpatrick, that could be adapted. The relevant section:
Kirkpatrick and crew were then reassigned onto a long-term survey mission past the Federation's northwestern fringe.

After leaving Federation borders the Dax made a six-year loop through uncharted space and made first contact with seventeen species. Captain Kirkpatrick believed her greatest achievement during the voyage was to mediate an end to an interstellar war between the Fuima and the Aziri, both of whom expressed interest in joining the Federation.
Basically, take the broad concept of VOY (single Starfleet ship a long way from home and far from timely support) and set out from the beginning to mate it to TNG's exploration premise via the fact that the crew and ship are actually prepared for the trip. We already know Starfleet still does that kind of mission in the 24th century because DS9 had an episode where the Defiant picks up a distress signal from a ship that had spent eight years mapping the Beta Quadrant (the USS Olympia IIRC). We get to see areas of the galaxy the previous shows never touched (Star Treks Star Charts puts that area past Ferengi and Breen space), and where people probably haven't heard of the Federation because it's years away even at max warp.

The other idea, which is considerably better-developed (and more grimdark), basically takes and runs with the claims made by the genetic augments in "Statistical Probabilities" that the destruction of the Federation in the Dominion War would lead to a new, stronger Federation being created years down the line. Take the Federation's many wars in the STO timeframe and mate them to the complete void in the timeline between 2409 and Procyon V, and get the Federation collapsing under foreign invasion roundabout 2450 and Earth and the other core worlds being occupied. The show then centers around a Starfleet vessel that is part of remnant forces trying to turn the tide.

Provided they spring for a decent writing team, it'll be dark and dramatic, with plenty of opportunities for classic Star Trek ethical dilemmas (especially around, do we continue to uphold things like the Prime Directive when it means the death of the Federation, not just inconvenience for us?) and a tension about maintaining Star Trek's hopeful tone in the face of annihilation.

The premise is something like late DS9 crossed with the Rebel Alliance from Star Wars and bits of BSG. Unlike ENT and VOY the heroes aren't the only ship out there, but part of a small resistance group. They work solo most of the time, but they also fight the occasional major fleet action and work to liberate worlds and build coalitions by equal parts diplomacy and guerrilla tactics.

What they don't have is lots of redshirts and spare ships they can throw around. Stuff like supply problems and crew cracking under stress should be recurring plots, and control of repair facilities a major priority. Exploration would be purposeful rather than for its own sake, searches for new allies and other resources to help restore the Federation (think Stargate SG-1, not TNG).

Main Cast:
  • USS Indomitable NCC-98347 (Thy'lek Shran-class Multirole Cruiser)
  • Captain Varus Karn (3/4 Bajoran, 1/4 Romulan male from Bajor; played by Jon Huertas) - Commanding Officer
    Grandson of a Romulan expatriate and her Bajoran husband, and a decorated career officer, Karn was an advanced tactics instructor at Starfleet Academy prior to the fall of the Federation's core worlds. When the enemy (haven't decided who they are yet) reached Alpha Centauri he was recalled to active duty and placed in command of the untested Indomitable with a skeleton crew drawn from Academy and Headquarters staff and instructions to get two companies of cadets to safety. Earth surrendered a week later, and Varus and company fought their way clear of the blockade and fled to Bajor, where he was contacted by a Section 31 operative trying to set up a resistance movement.
    • Characterization: Tough, savvy guile hero, perfectly comfortable with being part Romulan (Varus Saeihr was an accountant), but a bit standoffish and regretful about having to abandon the core worlds instead of fighting.
  • Commander Mahasin al-Harazi (human female from Archer IV; played by Naz Deravian) - First Officer
    The liaison officer to the Bajoran Militia before the war, she also has extensive diplomatic experience dealing with the various major and minor species that use DS9 and its surrounds as ports of call. She had originally planned to enter the Federation Diplomatic Corps after retiring from Starfleet. After the fall of Earth she requested a transfer to the Indomitable.
    • Characterization: Calm and collected, usually friendly but a tough negotiator. A practicing Muslim, though not a particularly devout one: She doesn't wear hijab, and insert joke about not bothering to try and face Mecca on a starship (basically, she acts roughly as Muslim onscreen as B5's Ivanova acted Jewish). Before we get any "Federation is atheist" comments in here, I want to point out I find the Federation more believable as a secular government rather than a militantly atheist one (basically, check your Bible at the Federation Council's door; you can pick it up again when you leave). Your mileage may vary, etc.
  • Lieutenant Commander Dr. Tenya Oras (later Tenya Meer), Ph.D. - (Trill female from Trill; played by Bridget Regan) - Science Officer
    A subspace physics instructor at Starfleet Academy, Starfleet Command assigned her to the Indomitable as first officer, but she wasn't comfortable in the post and asked for the science officer position instead once they were clear of Sol. Has to take a symbiont to save its life after the joined Trill cadet initially carrying it is mortally wounded a few episodes in.
    • Characterization: Sweet, cheerful, initially somewhat jittery in battle, but that subsides after her joining with the Meer symbiont. Develops UST with Captain Varus.
  • Ensign Peter Freeman (human male from Huxley II; played by Justin Martin) - Tactical Officer
    Born to a working-class mining family on a colony near the Romulan Neutral Zone, and a member of that year's would-be Academy graduating class on tactical track, Freeman took over at the tactical station when the redshirt initially assigned there was killed by shrapnel during the escape from Sol. Captain Varus gave him a field commission.
    • Characterization: Street-smart kid with a lot to prove, but mellows out as he gains experience and is later promoted to lieutenant junior grade.
  • Lieutenant Grell (Ferengi male from Ferenginar; played by ... doesn't particularly matter since you can't see most of his face) - Section 31 operative, undercover as Security Officer
    A former Ferengi Alliance intelligence officer with dual citizenship in the Federation, he was recruited into Section 31 a few years afterwards. He is one of the movers and shakers behind the scenes of the Starfleet resistance. He recruited the Indomitable's crew into the resistance movement and, given the fact that she was a reasonably well-equipped ship with a good crew, chose to insert himself aboard. Has lots of contacts all over the Alpha Quadrant, particularly in the Ferengi Alliance. Initially only Varus knows he really works for Section 31, but as the series goes on the other command staff figure it out or have to be let in.
    • Characterization: A bit of a joker, tempered by a degree of ruthlessness. In service to Federation survival above all else. Very good at reading people, also good at computers.
  • Commander Dr. Orott (Vulcan male from Vulcan; played by Raza Jaffrey) - Chief Medical Officer
    A thoracic surgeon originally attached to the Starfleet Headquarters Hospital, and the son of an aide to the Vulcan delegation to the Federation Council. A career officer.
    • Characterization: Stoic, by-the-book, with almost encyclopedic medical knowledge.
  • Lieutenant Felina Genestra (Betazoid female from Betazed; played by Morena Baccarin) - Chief Engineer
    A warp core engineer the Indomitable rescued from the flaming wreck of her sister ship, the Enterprise-G, during the escape from Sol. (Yeah, I'm starting out by Worfing the Enterprise :).)
    • Characterization: Initially quite shell-shocked over the destruction of her old ship, with nightmares and so forth, and throws herself into her work as a distraction. Initial character arc consists of coming to terms with it.
  • Master Chief Special Warfare Operator C'Rel (Caitian male from Cait; played by whoever's willing to play a freakin' furry, lol) - MACO Unit Head
    A security noncom and the usual go-to guy when violence may ensue, whether aboard ship or on away missions.
    • Characterization: Snarky and eminently practical in his approach to problem solving (think Jack O'Neill with fur). His establishing character moment is solving a holodeck malfunction plot in about fifteen seconds by physically disconnecting the stupid thing.
Recurring Cast:
  • Admiral Angela Reese (human female from Earth; played by Nicola Walker)
    The de facto head of Starfleet, as the seniormost flag officer remaining alive and uncaptured when the Third Fleet was forced to withdraw from Sol. Intelligent, reasonable authority figure along the lines of George Hammond from SG-1 or William Ross from late DS9, rather than head-up-her-ass (Nechayev) or nuts (Layton).
  • Rotating cast of noncoms and crewmen on the Indomitable
Last edited by StarSword on 2014-03-22 08:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

I would make a Doctor Who/Stargate SG-1 crossover.
"Single-minded persistence in the face of futility is what humanity does best." Tim Ferguson
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I'd love to see a series based on the "Legacy of a Thousand Suns" and "Dawn of the Dragons" FB games. They are so well written that I'd like see it on the small screen. The very least a series of novels.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!