The United States of Lots of Germans

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Re: The United States of Lots of Germans

Post by Elfdart »

xerex wrote:Anybody know what the "Americans" of Appalachia and the South really are in terms of heritage ?
Redneck.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Borgholio wrote:
the Germans came early, came often, and spread everywhere.
Quoting you out of context for immature purposes.

+1 posting rules be damned this made me genuinely laugh out loud

*stands and applauds*
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

I ran across this graph earlier which is based on the same data as the map in the OP:

As you'd expect from the map, German is the most common ancestry by a considerable margin. Still no indication of what the hell 'American' ancestry is supposed to be.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

My father's side of the family is pretty typical New England stock (mostly Scotch, with bits of Irish and English. As point of fact, my genealogy-obsessed uncle has traced my family tree back as far as the foundlings of Plymouth colony). My mother's side of the family is central/eastern European - Czech, Ukrainian, Serbian. I vaguely recall hearing about a Finnish great-grandmother.
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

<scratches head>

Maybe it means people from South America?
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Zeropoint wrote:<scratches head>

wouldn't that be latino?

Also I'm surprised that there's enough people of Finnish decent to be majority in anywhere, I guess there's more "Finns"(aka people of Finnish decent) in US then there's actual Finns here in Finland.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

Offhand, "American" probably indicates some combination of "we lost track" and "not that important to me/my ancestors". I know on dad's side, I'd be hard pressed to tell you any ancestral countries, so it might be something like that.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Lord Revan wrote:Also I'm surprised that there's enough people of Finnish decent to be majority in anywhere, I guess there's more "Finns"(aka people of Finnish decent) in US then there's actual Finns here in Finland.
Mostly in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, northern Wisconsin, and Minnesota. And only about 700,000. Aren't there around 5 million Finns in Finnland?
Vejut wrote:Offhand, "American" probably indicates some combination of "we lost track" and "not that important to me/my ancestors".
^ This gets my vote. Lots of people have imperfect knowledge of their ancestory.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Broomstick wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:Also I'm surprised that there's enough people of Finnish decent to be majority in anywhere, I guess there's more "Finns"(aka people of Finnish decent) in US then there's actual Finns here in Finland.
Mostly in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, northern Wisconsin, and Minnesota. And only about 700,000. Aren't there around 5 million Finns in Finnland?
5-6 million last I checked, though my comment was only half serious, seeing how small a country Finland itself is Finns having a significant presence anywhere but Sweden seems a bit strange that's all.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Lord Revan wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
5-6 million last I checked, though my comment was only half serious, seeing how small a country Finland itself is Finns having a significant presence anywhere but Sweden seems a bit strange that's all.
The real question is why there are so many in Brazil - or maybe the reverse why go anywhere else if Brazil was such an option...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_people
Finland 4,900,000
United States 700,000
Sweden 470,000
Canada 131,040
Russia 127,600
Brazil 90,000
Australia 30,359
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Judging by the relative location of people who claim they are ancestrally "American", ie., the South, one could also vote for people who are so flag-waving-rabidly patriotic that it would offend them to be considered anything else, and so refused to report being anything else.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Lagmonster wrote:Judging by the relative location of people who claim they are ancestrally "American", ie., the South, one could also vote for people who are so flag-waving-rabidly patriotic that it would offend them to be considered anything else, and so refused to report being anything else.
Like I said, "butthurt white people". :D

There are legitimate reasons people get tired of being looked at in regards to where their, sometimes distant, ancestors came from. Add some patriotism to that and you've got people who are ethnically "American".
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Vejut wrote:Offhand, "American" probably indicates some combination of "we lost track" and "not that important to me/my ancestors". I know on dad's side, I'd be hard pressed to tell you any ancestral countries, so it might be something like that.
Not to mention that a lot of people from Europe in the 19th century and before wouldn't be Czechs, Germans, Hungarians, Poles, Russians and Ukrainians as we think of them in the modern sense (and there was a fair amount of ethnic intermarriage and assimilation even then in Europe).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Lord Revan wrote:
Zeropoint wrote:<scratches head>

wouldn't that be latino?
I think that would be Spanish, Portuguese and whatever the "indigenous" people are collectively referred to. I don't think the graphs and charts are taking ancestors from other countries into account though and are just saying Aztec+Spanish=Mexican.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I think at some point you are just so diluted that you become "American". It's like people that say they are 64th Cherokee... seriously, just shut the fuck up. I mean I am half Mexican, half Italian. I'm not going to trace it back so that I can tell people that I am 78th Aztec and 967th Moor. :roll:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Havok wrote:I think at some point you are just so diluted that you become "American". It's like people that say they are 64th Cherokee... seriously, just shut the fuck up. I mean I am half Mexican, half Italian. I'm not going to trace it back so that I can tell people that I am 78th Aztec and 967th Moor. :roll:
I've been participating in one of those DNA studies that has tracked both sides of my DNA through different parts of Europe on back to Africa and I'm definitely not going to start saying that I'm African-American. :D I do mention how much Neanderthal (2%) I have in my ancestry because I find it interesting/amusing to see how people react.

I might want to move that on to 4.5% non-homo sapien and see how that goes. :twisted:
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

50% German, 25% English, 25% Hungarian. Three of my grandparents were first generation immigrants in the 1920s.