"I want it from Hammacher's" : The Helicycle

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

"I want it from Hammacher's" : The Helicycle

Post by Lagmonster »

I love Hammacher-Schlemmer. I don't even care if any of the stuff in that catalogue is worth it. It's everything six-year-old me wanted to-be-millionaire-30-year-old me to own.

I couldn't pass this up: The Helicycle. I just need one of these for my morning commute, that's all. Also quick getaways.

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/12400?promo=search
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: "I want it from Hammacher's" : The Helicycle

Post by LaCroix »

http://pal-v.com

Price should be 200k to 300k €, so it could be a bit closer to home if you order directly...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

With the Green version of the vehicle all you need is a mask that allows you to project illusions when you say "Hocus Pocus, on."

Yes, its a reference to the 80s cartoon MASK, where one of the heroes had a Green Motorcycle which transforms into a hybrid between motorcycle and helicopter.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It's a gyrocopter!

Not a bad way to get into rotorcraft, just be sure to keep up with the maintenance on the main rotor hub. Having the Jesus bolt (yes, it's really called that) give way in flight will really ruin your day.

As the fine print says, you'll need a Sport Pilot license in the US to fly it. Not sure about other countries, could require a full Private Pilot license.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

What would be the difference in license requirement?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

This thing would need a full PPL in Europe, too, it's almost twice as heavy (due to the driving components, I guess) as the maximum weight for an Ultralight...

The difference between licenses is technical (I inquired in order to get a license, but had to stop due to monetary issues) - handling the different planes, some more navigational stuff, but it is essentially the same. Most SPL to PPL converts do moan about when they need to retake the same theoretical tast to convert their license. Requirements are also identical. The mayor difference is that the ~30-35 training hours needed are much cheapter for SPL (if you are slim enough - body weight significantly over 75kg will sink that possibility pretty quick due to load restrictions)

PPL will cost you ~10000€, while a SPL can be had for about 4000€
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

A Private Pilot license is largely standardized internationally, which is why, for example, I could use my US issued license to legally fly in, say, Germany. Anything below that is something individual to the issuing nation and will have only limited reciprocity, if any.

A US Sport Pilot license is a stripped down version of the PP. SP does not require any training in flying at night, does not incorporate any flight by instruments in training (this is intended only for emergencies for PP anyway), provides only limited training in the use of air traffic control (they are limited in what airspace they can use), and does not cover any knowledge needed for crossing international borders as it's not valid outside the US. It doesn't take as long to complete as the minimum flight requirements are less than for PP, but if you're flying only in daytime in good weather, stick to the simpler flying machines, don't intend to fly into major airports, and don't intend to fly in other countries it's really all you need. SP also has less stringent medical requirements, essentially, if you're deemed healthy enough to drive a car you're considered healthy enough to fly one of these things. For the particular item in the OP you'd need a SP for gyrocopters, specific to that sort of rotorcraft.

So... assuming you already have a driver's license (needed to take the helicycle on the road) you'll need a minimum 30 hours of flight training, some ground school, and take the SP tests (oral, written, and practical) to fly it legally. If you can afford to buy this toy you should be able to handle the cost with no problem. A PP gyrocopter license would require a minimum of 40 hours of flight time (currently, the average person takes 60-80 hours to meet all requirements and skill levels), requires some additional skills and knowledge, and has more extensive cross-country requirements for the training. I'm talking about averages here, if you're a flying prodigy and can satisfy skill requirements in the minimum training times it will cost less.

The problems I foresee with people using the helicycle are as follows:
- Weather. Weather kills pilots. A motorcycle can deal with weather that would be lethal to a flying vehicle of this size and capability. There will be times when driving it is sensible but flying it will be stupid. This is an on-going problem in aviation, pilots exceeding the weather handling ability of either themselves, their machines, or both. It's not news to pilots but the general public always seems surprised by the concept.
- Sunset. SP is strictly daytime flying. Also, from what I can see, that helicycle doesn't have the required lighting for night flight (though presumably it could be added to allow someone with a PP or higher to fly it at night). The thing is, people in the US aren't used to such limitations. I anticipate a subset of operators pushing the limitations of daylight and/or figuring they can fly it at night. There are some pitfalls to night flying that are extremely hazardous to the untrained.
- Maintenance. It's a rotorcraft. They have more moving parts than fixed-wing aircraft, which means more to potentially go wrong. All rotorcraft require more maintenance than fixed wing or other types of aircraft. The average US driver is not used to thinking of the maintenance requirements of any aircraft, much less a rotorcraft and failure to adjust one's thinking can be lethal.

This is a pretty pricey aircraft. I have a concern that the sort of rich man used to being the absolute master of all he surveys, who is used to using money to solve problems, could run into serious trouble here. Physics doesn't give a fuck how much money you have. I don't think ALL wealthy people are like that - some of the world's best/most innovative pilots are quite wealthy, in part because they have the money to purchase the best aircraft and training - but a certain subset are. And they give both the rich and pilots in general a bad name.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

LaCroix wrote:This thing would need a full PPL in Europe, too, it's almost twice as heavy (due to the driving components, I guess) as the maximum weight for an Ultralight...
It's hard to build a working rotorcraft of any sort that falls under ultralight rules, and if you're talking about US ultralight (as opposed to sport pilot) rules I'm not convinced it's possible to build a safe one. I think in most countries you'd need a full PP to fly this thing. They clearly designed it to fall just under the limits for US SP.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Hammacher-Schlemmer is Awesome...

It is like SkyMall, but for people who have SERIOUS Money...
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Broomstick wrote:
LaCroix wrote:This thing would need a full PPL in Europe, too, it's almost twice as heavy (due to the driving components, I guess) as the maximum weight for an Ultralight...
It's hard to build a working rotorcraft of any sort that falls under ultralight rules, and if you're talking about US ultralight (as opposed to sport pilot) rules I'm not convinced it's possible to build a safe one. I think in most countries you'd need a full PP to fly this thing. They clearly designed it to fall just under the limits for US SP.
Well, there is a different licence in Europe - UL/T, Tragschrauber (Gyrocopter) < 560 kg MTOM. They allow for 110km extra because you can't do a safe 450kg autogyro.

Also, you can do a relatively cheap (~2000$) and easy (7 hours, SPL pilots can skip most or all of the theoretic exam) PPL(N) upgrade on the SPL that upgrades you to 750kg MTOM, albeit only for national flight. This still would not be enought to cover the PAL-V, though. It's definitely a PPL (JAR-FCL) craft (2tons max).