Taiwan's new Special Forces uniforms

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Taiwan's new Special Forces uniforms

Post by FaxModem1 »

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/83792567/

I like them, they're very GI: JOE's Cobra and/or Bond villain.

Though, of course, this means that the classic Bond ploy of knocking one out and stealing their uniform is now possible against the Taiwanese military.
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Re: Taiwan's new Special Forces uniforms

Post by cosmicalstorm »

They need to check TV tropes before designing costumes.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

FaxModem1 wrote:Though, of course, this means that the classic Bond ploy of knocking one out and stealing their uniform is now possible against the Taiwanese military.
They're special forces. They're the guys who would be sneaking around and stealing other people's uniforms.

And yeah, it is an impressive look. It makes me think of Frankenstein from the Death Race reboot.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Another case of fiction preceding reality, I guess - and a pretty cool one at that.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

Though, of course, this means that the classic Bond ploy of knocking one out and stealing their uniform is now possible against the Taiwanese military.
It has been possible with a balaclava for decades anyway.
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

It's not like they graft the mask onto the soldier's face. Most of the time they'll be just...not worn, it's propably designed to be used by people in particular danger of being shot in the face, like the point man in room clearing or something. The rest of the guys will just wear balaclavas if at all necessary.

The rest of the uniform is just a uniform.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Though, for bulletproof masks, it is really weird why they didn't just fit some eye protection to it. The eye holes look like they will direct every bullet hitting its edge straight to eyes, making them more, not less vulnerable.

For comparison, Russian helmet-mounted plate seems to offer much better protection while not impairing breathing and allowing you to wear gas mask:

Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Not covering the eyes rules out using tear gas, I imagine.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

They probably have goggles.

Also, moved to more appropriate forum.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Thanas wrote:They probably have goggles.

Also, moved to more appropriate forum.
Though that sort of begs the question on why don't they simply integrate the goggles into the mask? Would make slipping on the gear quicker.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Pelranius wrote:Though that sort of begs the question on why don't they simply integrate the goggles into the mask? Would make slipping on the gear quicker.
That's be great and all, but there's no place that I can see to put the filters...
Last edited by Wicked Pilot on 2014-01-11 05:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Why do I get the impression that the Taiwanese couldn't actually buy proper masks, made this out of junk and told the soldiers it is bullet-resistant?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Zixinus wrote:Why do I get the impression that the Taiwanese couldn't actually buy proper masks, made this out of junk and told the soldiers it is bullet-resistant?
These things are the good stuff - helmets with a visor usually give a lot less protection than this. With these masks, you actually need to hit someone in the eye to hurt him.
http://www.interamer.com/ballisticfacem ... afull.aspx

BTW - the russian design also rules out wearing a gas mask with the visor down - there is simply not enough space behind it.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

It's not just the general "faceless Legions of Terror" vibe I'm getting. That specific mask looks familiar. Now where do I know it from- Oh!

That guy.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

LaCroix wrote:
Zixinus wrote:Why do I get the impression that the Taiwanese couldn't actually buy proper masks, made this out of junk and told the soldiers it is bullet-resistant?
These things are the good stuff - helmets with a visor usually give a lot less protection than this. With these masks, you actually need to hit someone in the eye to hurt him.
http://www.interamer.com/ballisticfacem ... afull.aspx

BTW - the russian design also rules out wearing a gas mask with the visor down - there is simply not enough space behind it.
Why does it strike me, though, that if you get shot in the face, even wearing one of those Level 3 masks, that's still not a great thing? Leaving alone the idea of bullet fragments (which would probably fly *away* for the most part), the impact would likely give you a concussion and quite possibly break facial bones. This would depend on the ammunition in question, of course. I don't really see anything behind the mask to absorb the blow; it seems to be quite close to the face.

Better than dying, granted, but not much fun for whomever gets shot in the face. Not to mention that if they get into hand-to-hand, it provides a handy grab point for the other guy (though they shouldn't be getting into hand-to-hand in the first place).

The Russian design, although it doesn't cover quite as much of the face (chin is exposed), would seem to be superior in this respect-- if a bullet impacts it, the shock is transmitted through the helmet, which has been set up to absorb just that.

Of course the ideal design would probably be some sort of one-piece helmet that covers the whole head and integrates NBC protection, but visibility would be the big problem with that. Haven't they tried things like that before?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

1st. Yes - the bullet would cause damage to your face, but it won't get through. These things can stop about anything that isn't a rifle (and some rifles, as well) -> Level IIIa

These masks are compatible with helmets, and are quite effective as night- time camoflage, which is probably intentional. If the Taiwanese want a gas mask, they need to drop the BP mask (and use helmets, instead). The Russian design doesn't obstruct periferal view as much, doesn't constrict breathing as much, and easily allows for a gas mask (but with the visor up, which sets them on equal protection footing with the Taiwanese). On the other hand, the Russian design has drawbacks in protection, as it does not cover the whole face, and a visor can be knocked aside. I suppose it's also a detection hazard as the visor might be reflective.

Also, transparent visors usually do have less protection, Level II, but since the Russians probably face AK 47 when they go against armed threats, it wouldn't matter, anyway.

tl;dr - Protection is always a trade-off.
The optimum armor would look like a bomb squad suit, but that would be bad for various reason, too. And don't even start thinking powered armor. That's where real fun begins...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

So much for peripheral vision. Wearing on of those would drive me insane inside of ten minutes.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

Elheru Aran wrote:Of course the ideal design would probably be some sort of one-piece helmet that covers the whole head and integrates NBC protection, but visibility would be the big problem with that. Haven't they tried things like that before?
All of the future soldier programs are trying to accomplish this and all sorts of other goals, but I don't think anyone has actually built and released working units for their military. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Soldier

A little dated, but I think this is one of the earlier concept mockups: http://www.cryeassociates.com/09.html
Needs moar dakka
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

This still wins
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali