Predicting the Future - 1964 looks at 2014 (Asimov)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: Predicting the Future - 1964 looks at 2014 (Asimov)

Post by K. A. Pital »

Really nice predictions. I believe Asimov was a bit off with population pressure forcing people underground and under the ocean. It has to be a lot stronger for this to happen, most coastal cities should look like Megatokyo by the time and the northern territories fully utilizing simpler techniques to enjoy a nice climate, like a geodesic dome above a city.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Again, I think Asimov just chronically overestimated the footprint required for urban areas on a planetary scale. If you think forty billion people would require tiling the whole planet with city a la Trantor, it's logical that 6.5 billion would be enough to get the population spilling over onto the continental shelves.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

40 billion is a lot. If we imagine similar cities to today, we'd be facing 15% of Earth land area covered in urban structures. That's a lot. It may not be Trantor or Coruscant, but it would look rather similar since with such a massive urban density land areas between built environments would quite likely contract to oversized parks or walking forests, with some landmarks and deserts remaining more or less untouched. But even city-planets had untouched or abandoned poles, IIRC.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I'd give Asimov a pass on the 40 billion number because Trantor was conceived in the 50s, well before the green revolution, so he envisioned much of the planet given over to the algae farms he so championed, with a smaller emphasis on off-planet food imports for luxury items. Not helping matters is that he has a notoriously bad imagination, at times, when it came to future applications for 50s-era technology, so something like input-intensive farming would've never occurred to him.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I can't help but wonder if his life-long status as a city boy divorced from farmland could account for some lack of imagination regarding agriculture.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Broomstick wrote:I can't help but wonder if his life-long status as a city boy divorced from farmland could account for some lack of imagination regarding agriculture.
Probably, but a lot of his writing predated the Green Revolution, which brought astounding gains in productivity. I don't think anyone (farmer or otherwise) could've predicted what was about to happen.
Darth Holbytlan wrote:No, this is a clear miss. Plastic and glass pipes sound similar—they're both pipes, after all—but the idea behind them is completely different. Fiber optics converted a difficult technical challenge that "[e]ngineers will still be playing with...in 2014" to one that is pretty much solved. Not that Asimov could have been expected to get this one right: The first working fiber optic cable was tested a year after this was written, and the first patent applied for a year after that.

Asimov gets full credit for recognizing that laser communication would require protection to be useful on the ground, but the difference between his (reasonable) expectations of how we would get around the problem and reality are too great.
Everyone was working on optical waveguides at the time since it was seen as the only solution (shoot beam straight through a plastic pipe), albeit one fraught with technical problems. I think it's sort of a near-miss.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

phongn wrote:I don't think anyone (farmer or otherwise) could've predicted what was about to happen.
High yield cultivation was more or less a predictable outcome if you knew what was going on in the field. Fertilizer too.

Assalti Frontali
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

LadyTevar wrote:
Processed yeast and algae products will be available in a variety of flavors. The 2014 fair will feature an Algae Bar at which "mock-turkey" and "pseudosteak" will be served. It won't be bad at all (if you can dig up those premium prices), but there will be considerable psychological resistance to such an innovation.
I'd consider the "Considerable Resistance" to faux-meat a HIT, myself. Quorn? *shudder*
Do you eat mushrooms?

Because, y'know, same stuff. Basically.

Quorn works best when used in strongly flavoured sauces though, because it doesn't carry much flavour.

(and yeah, it's way better than any fast food grade "meat")
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Vendetta wrote: (and yeah, it's way better than any fast food grade "meat")
There is pretty decent ground "meat" out there.
If you make a spaghetti "bolognese" with this ground "meat" it tastes pretty good. It does lack the defining meat taste but it´s nonetheless good food.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I was referring to the substance usually found in fast food or processed food, which is only technically meat in that it was once attached to an animal. (if you're really lucky, even the animal they say it was)

Quorn is a way better choice for a meal than that, as long as you prepare it with some kind of flavoured sauce and/or season it well.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Ah, sorry, I missread.

I just looked up Quorn and apparently it´s been around in Germany only since 2012.
I´ll give it a try.