33%
Sean Connery
67%

Total votes: 21

Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Doing your best: David Fincher vs Sean Connery

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Having recently entered a contest to design a ship for Chris Robert's Star Citizen, and lamenting a flakey team member and minor deficiencies with my submission, I took solice in an article in which David Fincher says "Do your best, but know that it will never be enough." until I remembered what Sean Connery said in The Rock. "Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the Prom Queen."
PERMANENTLY BANNED after being convicted of child sexual abuse.
JLTucker
BANNED

Re: Doing your best: David Fincher vs Sean Connery

Post by JLTucker »

Fincher because his comment doesn't smell of something a jock douchebag would say Who would want to fuck the brain dead prom queen anyway?
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

JLTucker wrote:Fincher because his comment doesn't smell of something a jock douchebag would say Who would want to fuck the brain dead prom queen anyway?
The prom queen at my school is now a doctor.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Wicked Pilot wrote:
JLTucker wrote:Fincher because his comment doesn't smell of something a jock douchebag would say Who would want to fuck the brain dead prom queen anyway?
The prom queen at my school is now a doctor.
That's interesting. Did she show potential in high school?
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

My boss doesn't care if I try my best and fail, he'll still chew my ass out or fire me anyway.
My university profs didn't care if I tried my best, if I failed I was outta there, end of story.
The last time trying my best counted for something was probably in middle school, or in recreational sports where it doesn't matter anyway.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Fincher's words say nothing about trying your best and failing. It just says "do your best but be aware it will never be enough. " For instance, Thanas makes five threads a day about Obama and adds commentary only simpletons would find insightful. He succeeded at being himself. It wasn't enough for us. We expected twenty threads.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

I wouldn't say that the two sayings are mutually exclusive. If you do your best and succeed in your goals you may still want more. If you don't make it, that sucks but it happens. Whining about it doesn't change a thing. Frankly, just pick whichever best fits your situation at the time.

JLTucker wrote:Did she show potential in high school?
No, she was a drunken party girl who slept with the entire football team, and then dropped out to become somebody's baby momma. It's not like she was a national merit finalist and class valedictorian, girl like that could never be prom queen.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

If you do your best and succeed then it was enough. If you fail it wasn't enough.
"Be aware your best will never be enough?" Sounds like something a philosophy student or self-improvement book would say.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

This is the dumbest thread on the board that is non Doctor Who related.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

If you have to give more than 50% to get the job done, get a different job. It´s not worth the hassle.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Wicked Pilot wrote:
JLTucker wrote:Did she show potential in high school?
No, she was a drunken party girl who slept with the entire football team, and then dropped out to become somebody's baby momma. It's not like she was a national merit finalist and class valedictorian, girl like that could never be prom queen.
What is it that drives this "dumb beauty" stereotype and it's immediate application? Pure jealousy or a lifetime of shitty movies about shallow high school bitches or both? Or is it an American thing? Because it's hilarious to watch,especially when it involves celebrity gossip,the seething is just fucking glorious.

On topic:I'm not quite sure what is being asked here.But let's try: Fincher's quote is not particularly appealing. It might or might not be true, but I don't think the mindset you want to approach a project with is:"weeeell, I'll try but shit happens, might not work out." On the other hand it can help alleviate the psychotic fucking navel-gazing I engage in with every project or endeavor.

But all things considered I would rather be the guy fucking the prom queen (regardless of how you feel about the implications of such an example) instead of the guy making comforting statements about the supposed futility of it all.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

JLTucker wrote:Fincher's words say nothing about trying your best and failing. It just says "do your best but be aware it will never be enough. " For instance, Thanas makes five threads a day about Obama and adds commentary only simpletons would find insightful. He succeeded at being himself. It wasn't enough for us. We expected twenty threads.
What the fuck did I ever do to you that you have this vendetta against me? I mean, did you just wake up this day and decide to shit on me in some unrelated thread for no reason?

If you want to say something about me, either do it upfront in threads that matter or in a PM. Don't be a weaseling little shit.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:
JLTucker wrote:Fincher's words say nothing about trying your best and failing. It just says "do your best but be aware it will never be enough. " For instance, Thanas makes five threads a day about Obama and adds commentary only simpletons would find insightful. He succeeded at being himself. It wasn't enough for us. We expected twenty threads.
What the fuck did I ever do to you that you have this vendetta against me? I mean, did you just wake up this day and decide to shit on me in some unrelated thread for no reason?

If you want to say something about me, either do it upfront in threads that matter or in a PM. Don't be a weaseling little shit.
Seriously, dumbest thread. Aside from the Doctor Who ones.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw