Why You Shouldn't Steal Cobalt-60

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Why You Shouldn't Steal Cobalt-60

Post by Broomstick »

The good news is that they found the truck and the radioactive cobalt. Not so good, the containment vessel was opened, they need to figure out a way to retrieve the cobalt without injuring anyone, and the thieves are probably in a world of hurt.

From CNN:
(CNN) -- A pair of thieves in Mexico may have stolen more than they bargained for when they targeted a truck this week.

The stolen vehicle was carrying a delicate cargo -- a radioactive element used for medical purposes that also can be used to make a so-called dirty bomb.

Mexican authorities said they'd found the stolen truck and the container that had been holding radioactive cobalt Wednesday, hours after the International Atomic Energy Agency announced the theft.

The container was found about a kilometer away from the truck and had been opened, said Juan Eibens Chutz, head of Mexico's National Commission for Nuclear Security.

There was cobalt inside, but officials do not know whether any of the original cargo is missing, he said. Authorities were preparing to send a special team to the area, where radiation has been detected, he said.

Mexican authorities told the IAEA that the truck, which was transporting the cobalt-60 teletherapy source from a hospital in Tijuana to a radioactive waste storage center, was stolen Monday in Tepojaco, near Mexico City.

An early theory is that the thieves were unaware of what exactly they had taken.

"At the time the truck was stolen, the source was properly shielded," the IAEA said. "However, the source could be extremely dangerous to a person if removed from the shielding, or if it was damaged."

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is assisting with the investigation into the stolen truck, Mexican authorities said.

The U.S. government has sensors at border crossings and sea ports to prevent radioactive materials from entering the country. This includes large stationary sensors designed to scan vehicles going through land border crossings as well as pager-size devices carried by agents.

Some of this equipment is sensitive enough that it has been set off by people who had recently undergone radiation therapy, according to a U.S. law-enforcement source.

Experts consider cobalt-60 one of the "candidates" for making dirty bombs.

Bombs made with cobalt-60 "pose a threat mainly because even a fraction of a gram emits a huge number of high-energy gamma rays; such material is harmful whether outside or inside the body," according to a 2011 report by the Congressional Research Center.

In a speech last year, the IAEA director warned that such a dirty bomb "detonated in a major city could cause mass panic, as well as serious economic and environmental consequences."

The preliminary information suggests that the thieves did not know what the truck's cargo was when they stole it, said Jaime Aguirre Gomez, deputy director of radiological security at the National Commission for Nuclear Security and Safeguards.

The radioactive material had been used in radiotherapy for cancer treatments at a Tijuana hospital and is now in disuse, he said.

The shielding that protects the cobalt-60 is designed so that the radioactive source is difficult to extract, Aguirre said. The casing is designed not to be opened or perforated easily.

The driver of the white 2007 Volkswagen truck and an assistant had stopped to rest at a gas station, local prosecutor Marcos Morales told CNN.

At around 1 a.m. Monday, a man armed with a handgun knocked on the passenger window. When the passenger rolled down his window, the gunman demanded the keys to the vehicle, Morales said.

Both the driver and his assistant were taken to an empty lot where they were bound and told not to move. They heard one of the assailants use a walkie-talkie type device or phone to tell someone, "It's done," Morales said.

Mexico alerted the IAEA to the theft, following international protocol, Aguirre said.

Cobalt-60 is used in radiotherapy and in industrial tools such as leveling devices and thickness gauges. Large sources of cobalt-60 are used to sterilize certain foods, as the gamma rays kill bacteria but don't damage the product, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

If released into the environment, the radioactive material can harm people.

According to the Congressional Research Center report, in Thailand in 2000, a disused cobalt-60 source was stored outdoors and bought by two scrap collectors, who took it to a junkyard where it was cut open.

Some workers suffered burn-like injuries, and eventually three people died and seven others suffered radiation injuries, the report says. Nearly 2,000 others who lived nearby were exposed to radiation.

Cobalt-60 has a half-life of 5.27 years.
As noted in the article, medical cobalt-60 has been implicated in accidental deaths among scavengers and scrappers. Unless the thieves in this case had special equipment and the proper knowledge there's a good chance they're seriously ill, even dead or dying.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Why You Shouldn't Steal Cobalt-60

Post by bilateralrope »

The shielding that protects the cobalt-60 is designed so that the radioactive source is difficult to extract, Aguirre said. The casing is designed not to be opened or perforated easily.
I don't know the details of the casing. What kind of tools would they have needed to open it ?
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

bilateralrope wrote:
I don't know the details of the casing. What kind of tools would they have needed to open it ?
Well probably a heavily hardened power saw for starters. Whatever they used it wasn't worth the cost of health to use it to get the stuff.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

bilateralrope wrote:
Given that scrappers have managed to breach such casings before I suspect it's largely a matter of needing time to get through very tough metal. Either a heavy-duty saw or a LOT of saw blades. The casings, from what I've heard over the years, are usually multiple layers of stainless steel, with something like tungsten not an uncommon addition. For transportation purposes, lids to the various layers may be welded in place. Remember, the casing is also thick, to provide shielding from gamma radiation from such sources.

I'm not familiar with Mexican regulations. I do know that some of the casings used to transport radioactive materials in the US have been tested by ramming locomotives into them with the expectation the casings will survive intact so use that as a guideline for "tough" (though that's usually for nuclear waste). Given time a person can certainly get into a casing but it won't happen quickly, or on a whim.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

They heard one of the assailants use a walkie-talkie type device or phone to tell someone, "It's done," Morales said.
I'd say they had a good idea of what was they stole.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Maybe, maybe not. They could have been told to hijack a particular truck without being told what was in the truck's cargo.

One theory is that the thieves ran off and abandoned the cargo when they realized what it was, but no one (other than the thieves) knows for sure at this point.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

This is a picture of the transport casing for the material in question, in case anyone was wondering what this sort of thing looks like:

Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

I can't help, but to be reminded of "The Dividing Wall" story from Alfred Hitchcok Presents.
Magis
Padawan Learner

Post by Magis »

Extracting the material isn't especially difficult, which should seem obvious given the fact that these thieves managed to do it in a few hours. Smaller radioactive sources are often kept in lead cylinders with twist-off caps, and I don't have a lot of confidence that proper storage procedures were used here in the first place.

Anyway, the thieves have almost certainly received a lethal full-body dose and won't be around much longer.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

There has been a report from the Hildago state government that six people are being treated for radiation poisoning due to the stolen cobalt-60, which has since been fully accounted for. The six are reported in stable condition but I haven't heard/seen anything more than that.

The cobalt-60 has been cordoned off and there is discussion about bringing in specialized clean up equipment and personnel from the US or Canada.

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

If these guys are lucky they'll manage to survive the exposure and spend some time in prison. If they're not lucky... Severe radiation poisoning is an extremely unpleasant way to go. Even if these guys survive the immediate exposure I can't see them living out a full life, regardless of what happens in prison. That much radiation exposure means a really high chance of cancer.

The doses they likely received don't give me high hopes they'll be alive long enough to stand trial.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

CNN wrote:Six men potentially exposed to radioactive material stashed inside a stolen truck were examined at a Mexico hospital on Friday, a day after authorities said they'd recovered all of the potentially deadly substance.

All six of the men tested at Pachuca General Hospital were negative for radiation poisoning, Hidalgo state health official Jose Antonio Copca said.
That would be quite remarkable if true, because according to Popular Mechanics "the source that the Tijuana hospital was trying to dispose of, and which was in the stolen truck, contained between 2500 and 3000 curies of activity". According to the same article that's 2500 rem per hour at 1 meter, or 25 sievert per hour. An acute dose of 5-10 sievert will kill you. So 25 is a very scary amount.

If these guys didn't get poisoned to death the containment breach must have been extremely minor, or they hightailed it out of there in time, or both. Or they aren't the thieves of course, or perhaps they're Bruce Banner.

It's also worth nothing that it's quite irresponsible to transport such a powerful source of radioactivity with just two guys in a Volkswagen van. None of the photo's of the containment vessel show any signs that it's been adequately labeled as a potentially dangerous source of lethal radiation either. Safety standards may be lax in Mexico but that's just nuts.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

They might have been trying to sneak it through the city.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

One of the theives was 16yrs old, and he was the one who had the radiation. Thankfully, it seems it was not a fatal dose, and he's been released into police custody.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Siege wrote:
CNN wrote:Six men potentially exposed to radioactive material stashed inside a stolen truck were examined at a Mexico hospital on Friday, a day after authorities said they'd recovered all of the potentially deadly substance.

All six of the men tested at Pachuca General Hospital were negative for radiation poisoning, Hidalgo state health official Jose Antonio Copca said.
That would be quite remarkable if true, because according to Popular Mechanics "the source that the Tijuana hospital was trying to dispose of, and which was in the stolen truck, contained between 2500 and 3000 curies of activity". According to the same article that's 2500 rem per hour at 1 meter, or 25 sievert per hour. An acute dose of 5-10 sievert will kill you. So 25 is a very scary amount.
I'm wondering if there is a translation error here. It would make more sense if they were negative for contamination.

If it's putting out 25 sievert per hour then if you're only exposed for a couple minutes (say, less than five) you might get sick but it shouldn't be fatal. Perhaps they opened it up, realized it wasn't what they thought it was, then fled. Or opened it up, heard what it was, and fled.