Anyone in the navy?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

HeavensThunderHammer
Redshirt

Anyone in the navy?

Post by HeavensThunderHammer »

I have a few scenes from a novel that I need critiqued (stuff is certainly wrong on technical/procedural/operational details) by someone who actually is or has served in a national Navy, ideally in a naval vessel. The military people I know are Army (Logistics & Medic NCOs). I doubt it's appropriate to get info from them.

The scenes take place on an Australian destroyer & submarine. That said, I mainly just need someone with Naval experience to take a read. It's not the focus of the book, book, just few scenes over 3 chapters chapters.

If anyone is interested, I'll PM the sections. :)

Edit: August 2014:

Apologies for the long bump, but I didn't want to create a new thread given that I never got around to sending the message. Life happened. I have sent the parts to the posters who put their names out, but given the way BB work, I'm not sure they are even active any more. Any other members here with naval experience are welcome.

Thanks.
Last edited by HeavensThunderHammer on 2014-08-16 01:22am, edited 4 times in total.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Anyone in the navy?

Post by Mr Bean »

Yes we have a dedicated forum called the Mess filled with military people, yes we have several Navy people.
Australian Navy?
Umm, not it.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
HeavensThunderHammer
Redshirt

Mr Bean wrote:Yes we have a dedicated forum called the Mess filled with military people, yes we have several Navy people.
Australian Navy?
Umm, not it.
Ok, thanks, I missed that. :) Can my post here please be moved?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Don't think so, the Mess is a private group after all but I'm sure we can inform the other members of your questions.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Former United States Navy here.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

USN
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Former USN as well but that was Reagan / Bush Sr Era
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Did you last three guys just miss the Australian in the OP? :)
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Dargos
Jedi Knight

Post by Dargos »

Thanas wrote:Did you last three guys just miss the Australian in the OP? :)
Did you miss him asking for someone who was in a national Navy and with Naval experience. Actually being in the Australian Navy was not a stated prerequisite. :-)
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Fair enough.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
HeavensThunderHammer
Redshirt

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try and get stuff PMed to folks in the next couple days. :)
HeavensThunderHammer
Redshirt

Apologies for the long bump, but I didn't want to create a new thread given that I never got around to sending the message. Life happened. I have sent the parts to the posters who put their names out, but given the way BB work, I'm not sure they are even active any more. Any other members here with naval experience is welcome.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Lonestar?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

WHAT?

WHAT DALTON

WHAT DO YOU WANT

I am not Australian!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

------------
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Well, I worked in SSES, so I'm not too sure what I can bring to the table anyway.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."