Things to do in Houston?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Things to do in Houston?

Post by General Zod »

So I'm going to be in Houston tomorrow before I move on to Austin Wednesday and I'll have some time to kill. Is there anything cheap (preferably free) and must-see to do there that you can cover in an afternoon/evening?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Prannon
Jedi Knight

Re: Things to do in Houston?

Post by Prannon »

Hey Zod! I don't know much in Houston that would be free and Must See. Houston isn't exactly a sight seeing paradise. However, there are a few neat things that I would suggest you check out that aren't really all that expensive.

Battleship Texas - WWI & WWII vintage battleship moored at San Jacinto. Thing's gotta be over a hundred years old now.

San Jacinto Historical Battleground - It's right across from the Battleship Texas, actually. Good place to go if you're into history.

Space Center Houston - This one speaks for itself. Not free to get in, but still cool.

Houston Museum of Natural Science - I've been here a few times, and it's actually pretty neat! Given that this is an oil town, they tend to focus a lot on the oil industry and the geology of the area and why it's so full of oil, but it approaches it from a very scientific point of view so it's really interesting. They also have a very extensive rock and crystal exhibit that's quite beautiful.

Houston Zoo - Houston has a fairly good zoo as I remember it, though I haven't been there in years. $10 to get in, and it's right across from the Museum above.

St Arnold's Brewery - $8 to get in for one of their daily tours. I've been to this place and it's like any brewery, but they are pretty cool about it. The people who show up for the tours make it into a really nifty beer hall type place.

That's about all that I can think of at the moment that would be half decent to do. Again, there aren't really any free sites to see or just stuff that would be cool to look at. Houston isn't like that, sadly. :/
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Yeah, I kinda figured there wouldn't be much. I'm only going to be there for half a day or so until I catch the bus to Austin Wednesday. The Battleship looks fun but a bit out of the way since I won't have a car. (And I can't have any alcohol for the next few weeks, sadly.)
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

There is literally a shitload of stuff to do in Houston, it's just hard to find it or people go somewhere else for it. It doesn't help that Houston isn't the prettiest city and it can get confusing as Hell to navigate. I wouldn't think of it as the most tourist friendly place either.

The Museum District hosts one of the largest collections in the country and many of them are free entry. The Museum of Natural Science, as stated, is a fun way to burn an afternoon.

If you want to blow some money, there's a "steak house" (and I used the term loosely) called Fogo de Chao. You basically drop a wad of cash and they dump some of the best cooked meat on your plate until you either flip your card to red or you die.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Space Centre is such a major attraction I'd be well surprised if there wasn't a premapped bus exchange from wherever you'll be

And it's a lot of fun too. Seeing a Saturn V for real = religious experience
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I don't think I'll have enough time to do the space center given my schedule. It looks like all the fun stuff is going to take more time than I really have. :|
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Half a day in Houston doesn't get you much. It's not like Galveston or Corpus where the nice hotels are walking distance to the beach and numerous attractions. It has no "tourist" area that I can think of. You also have to deal with driving in Houston to get anywhere which is not for the faint of heart.
Akumz Razor
Youngling

Post by Akumz Razor »

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I moved to Austin about a month ago and have been thinking of posting something along these lines. I've been lurking these boards for years, mostly for news/political commentary. If anybody wants to do an impromptu SDN Austin meetup I'd be up for it.
The simplest solution takes the shortest time to write down.

"My homies!" - Shatner

"The women!!" - Spock

"He's no better than Shatner!" - Phil Hartman as Bill Clinton re: Leonard Nimoy

-cinemaphotography-
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I'm actually leaving Houston in a few hours so no big. I'll be in Austin tomorrow but it's going to be a strictly quick in/out deal.
Prannon
Jedi Knight

Post by Prannon »

I'm game! I live in Round Rock these days and I'm almost always up for doing something. The next couple of weeks I'm going to be engaged in a vacation adventure with a very close friend of mine, but following weekends I should be available to do things.

We have enough Texans on this board that we could probably find time to have regular meets if we cared to. There's plenty to do in this state even if some of the folks about are shitty.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Austin won my heart and I'd love to live there, work some lame job by day and play bars on 6th Street by night.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I'm not sure I like Austin all that much, but San Antonio actually looked pretty nice from the short layover I had despite everything being closed.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

General Zod wrote:So I'm going to be in Houston tomorrow before I move on to Austin Wednesday and I'll have some time to kill. Is there anything cheap (preferably free) and must-see to do there that you can cover in an afternoon/evening?

Holy Shit. Moving to Austin? I will be in Austin from Sunday through Thursday for a conference so if you wanted to meet up with Anguirus and myself, that could be arranged.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Haha, I just saw this. Not moving to Austin. I was just in Houston for a layover before stopping in Austin for the day. I'm back in New Orleans for the moment but I have plans to be back in Texas again over the next couple of weeks. It's nothing permanent, just doing a quick in out to sign up for a guinea pig trial.