Stuff to do in San Diego?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Stuff to do in San Diego?

Post by Executor32 »

My brother graduates from boot camp next Friday, so my mom and I are flying out to San Diego for a few days. Our flight to SD will arrive at 11:10 AM on Wednesday, and our flight back will be leaving at 6:35 AM on Saturday. I've already decided she and I are going to the zoo after we arrive, and since we can't check into our quarters at MCRDSD until 4:00 PM, we'll probably stay at the zoo until it closes at 5:00. We have some sort of meet-and-greet from 6:30-10:00, then I think we're free after that.

Thursday is Family Day, so we'll be busy with those activities until 4:30, though since we get to hang out on-base with my brother until 6:00 I'm sure that we won't be going anywhere until then. The only day we'll be able to go anywhere off-base with my brother is Friday, and only after 12:00 when the graduation ceremony is over with. First thing after the ceremony, we're going to the USS Midway because of course we are.

Any suggestions on what else we can see and do while we're there, with an emphasis on being cheap and/or open after 5:00? Dining suggestions are welcome, too. My mom's a picky eater, but my brother and I are up for pretty much anything.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Stuff to do in San Diego?

Post by Thanas »

Go visit the Maritime Museum and USS Midway, the two of them being directly next to each other. And you can also watch as a replica of a Spanish Galleon is being built.
Full complex including buildsite on Google Maps, just scroll to the right and zoom in to see the museums.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Well, seaworld obviously, on the off chance you hadn't thought of that.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

I had, though it's a bit out of our budget, even after the discount from buying at the MCRD ticket booth. Active duty military and up to three direct dependents can each get one free ticket to SeaWorld or Busch Gardens this year, but I don't think we qualify for that. It also suffers from the 10-5 schedule that most everything else seems to have in San Diego, making it hard to cram into our schedule.

I already mentioned we were going to the USS Midway, Thanas, but thanks for the tip about the Maritime Museum. The San Salvador definitely sounds like a must-see, and since we can just walk there from the Midway we can save on transportation.

Speaking of which, how would you recommend getting about? There's taxis, obviously, but the fares strike me as kind of expensive.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Just a note: AFAIK San Salvador is still not finished so depending on weather she might be tarped up. But you'll see.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Balboa Park has several very nice museums (the Air and Space museum, the Museum of Art, and the Timken) and gardens plus it is co-located with the San Diego Zoo.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev