Moderator: Edi

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Don't text and drive, assholes

Post by Thanas »

Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Re: Don't text and drive, assholes

Post by Raw Shark »

I'm almost positive that the last girl who crashed into my cab was texting and driving, because she didn't stop typing on the thing until the cops showed up. I wanted to slap that shit out of her hand and shout, "What is so fucking important, you fucking addict!? Are you tweeting, 'I just rammed a cabbie! He's being a dick about it! LOL, #FirstWorldProblems!'"

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I could barely watch the first part of that video you linked, Thanas. Jesus fucking Christ, that tugged at the heartstrings. I don't know who is in more pain, the boy or his mother. I hope the bitch who did this paid dearly...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Borgholio wrote:I could barely watch the first part of that video you linked, Thanas. Jesus fucking Christ, that tugged at the heartstrings. I don't know who is in more pain, the boy or his mother. I hope the bitch who did this paid dearly...
She just got a Driving While Distracted ticket ($750 'round these parts) according to the comment section. Not sure if the video confirms that or not; had to close it before I hurled after reading that.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Considering the other women who permanently disabled someone only got a suspended license and community service, I can believe that.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Relevant Conversation From The Professional Front Lines:

Your Driver: Yeah, I get into wrecks about once a year. The last dumbass who hit me wasn't even drunk, just texting and driving, if you can believe that.
Blonde Sorority Girl: Yeah, that's completely stupid. I mean, I text and drive, but I've never hit anybody.
Asian Sorority Girl: Yeah, me neither.
YD: Y'know, you really shouldn't do that shit. It's like 750 bucks if they catch you now...
BSG: Ohmygod! That's insane!
ASG: I know, right? That is so unfair!
BSG: What if I'm driving and I, like, get a text?
ASG: The government is like the Mafia!
BSG: So unfair!
YD: [sigh]

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Thank you Thanas, the relevant video has been reposted to my Viral Meme Machine. I dont text and drive for this exact reason. The last time I was in an actual accident (as opposed to a parking lot fender bender brought on by Freud-Mobiles blocking line of sight), the individual was texting on approach to a freeway on ramp with bad traffic. Did not even hit the brakes, just plowed into the back of the car I was a passenger in at 35 mph. Before that... well, I was on a bike on a university campus. I made my reflex save (critical, actually). Physically leaping off my bike parallel with the car's path, letting my bike get run over. Guess what HE was doing? Speeding through a pedestrian and cyclist-infested university campus while on a cell phone.

No calls when driving either...
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

it shouldn't be so hard to figure that when you text or speak on phone your focus is on that not the road and when your focus isn't on the road your chance of getting into an accident just went up 1000000 times compared to if you were focused at driving.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

Haven't watched the whole documentary yet, so sorry if this is redundant, but the article linked below describes a survey (also by AT&T) indicating that texting while driving is not only quite a prevalent practice, but is on the RISE, and with ADULTS notably leading the way. And the usual excuse is multitasking/increased productivity and connecting with people.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/5607 ... s.html.csp
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Well they're right about one thing. Texting while driving DOES allow connecting with people. Probably not in the way they wanted though.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Well when Mythbusters did their cell phone vs drunk tests they found that they did worse on the test when on the cell phone then they did bald faced drunk....really.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Isolder74 wrote:Well when Mythbusters did their cell phone vs drunk tests they found that they did worse on the test when on the cell phone then they did bald faced drunk....really.
Probably a lot worse - there's proper science to prove this.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Drunk people are trying their fucking best to pay attention to everything so they don't hit anybody and don't get caught.

You guys think you have it bad... ride a motorcycle everyday. Totally different perspective.
You think texting is the only distracting danger out there?
No offense, but half of you have probably almost hit someone (probably on a motorcycle and don't even realize it) just being distracted by the radio station or someone talking to you.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

I know from personal experience playing my own game of Frogger walking down the street that talking on the phone and driving is downright dangerous. On more then one occasion the only reason I'm not seriously hurt or dead wasn't that the driver saw me but I noticed them.

Really someone standing at a bus stop shouldn't have to play dodgeball with cars. The irony of the worst time it ever happened to me was they had just removed the bus bench to replace it with a new one when the moron flew over the corner and almost killed me. If the bench was still there, the car would have spun into or on top of me or worse and his car would have been totaled. I'm still trying to figure out how he didn't hit the stop sign or the bus stop marker(Edit: Just as a point of information the space between the two signs was only about 5 feet)!
Last edited by Isolder74 on 2013-08-21 07:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:Drunk people are trying their fucking best to pay attention to everything so they don't hit anybody and don't get caught.

You guys think you have it bad... ride a motorcycle everyday. Totally different perspective.
No offense, but half of you have probably almost hit someone (probably on a motorcycle and don't even realize it) just being distracted by the radio station or someone talking to you.

Yeah, I can attest to that from my own personal experience as well. Almost got squashed like a bug by a truck several times.

It got worse because until a few years back, motorcyclists were supposed to ride around with having their lights on all the time. This served as extra warning and made everyone notice. Then they decided to recommend to everybody to always have their lights on and the extra protection to bikers is now gone.
------------
------------
My LPs
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Thanas wrote:
Havok wrote:Drunk people are trying their fucking best to pay attention to everything so they don't hit anybody and don't get caught.

Yeah, I can attest to that from my own personal experience as well. Almost got squashed like a bug by a truck several times.

It got worse because until a few years back, motorcyclists were supposed to ride around with having their lights on all the time. This served as extra warning and made everyone notice. Then they decided to recommend to everybody to always have their lights on and the extra protection to bikers is now gone.
Some motorcycles around here have a pulsing headlight that is very noticeable in the safety distance ranges. Wish that was standard for all the bikes.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Oh, I realized it shortly thereafter. Hell, I was not even distracted, it was just near civil twilight, his lights were not on, and I didnt see him because he and his bike blended into the background (medium green and gray, blends right into the sidewalk and people's lawns) when I was checking for approaching vehicles while making a right turn. Not even a motorcycle--which I can usually rely on hearing to detect--but some sort of vespaesque contraption that really should not be street legal.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Action Avenue
Redshirt

Post by Action Avenue »

This goes for people who talk on their phones and drive at the same time. A couple of days ago, my wife and I were almost hit by some idiot in a Ford F150 who was busy chatting it up on the phone instead of paying attention to the road and his driving.
Check out my zombie blog http://freakindeadjed.blogspot.com
View my artwork at my studio store at http://zazzle.com/actionave
Visit my deviant art page at http://actionave.deviantart.com
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I don't even like talking to people in the car with me, I've had some close calls with just that distraction.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Oh yeah, don't get me started on distracting the driver. I've had everything from a four-man fistfight in my cab on the highway, to a girl sticking her hand down my pants while I was turning in a busy intersection and nearly causing a head-on with a Jeep Cherokee, to a 30# pug bullseyeing my nuts while we were doing 70mph on the freeway, to two (2) people on separate occasions who put their hands firmly over my eyes while I was driving, to a lunatic passenger actually trying to wrestle the wheel away from me.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Wow. I've had some distracting passengers but dude, maybe you should drive solo in the future. Or get a different group of "friends" or whatever.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

He is a cab driver.
------------
------------
My LPs
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Ooo... yes, that would explain all of that.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Raw Shark wrote:Oh yeah, don't get me started on distracting the driver. I've had everything from a four-man fistfight in my cab on the highway, to a girl sticking her hand down my pants while I was turning in a busy intersection and nearly causing a head-on with a Jeep Cherokee, to a 30# pug bullseyeing my nuts while we were doing 70mph on the freeway, to two (2) people on separate occasions who put their hands firmly over my eyes while I was driving, to a lunatic passenger actually trying to wrestle the wheel away from me.
No partition between you and the passenger compartment? I thought that was mandatory for livery cabs in most places.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Tempted to shut my ringer off my cell phone when driving like I do when sleeping but will forget to turn it back on
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)