Nostalgia Critic- Avatar The Last Airbender

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Re: Nostalgia Critic- Avatar The Last Airbender

Post by Koolaidkirby »

Formless wrote:HAHAHAHAHA oh man, the more I watch this guy's vlogs the more I feel like I'm learning from him, but not what he is saying. The more I'm becoming convinced that Amon was a red herring; and its amazing how well that works, because of how impatient he gets with how little LoK showed of the guy. And the more he gets impatient, the more I can start to see a little bit of Korra herself in him: and its starting to remind me of other people doing this throughout the show's original run.

Note to self: steal the "villain as red herring" technique. Good writing methods like that are hard to come by. :lol:
I agree with him being impatient, how do you get impatient with a show or a location in that show that's only 3 or 4 episodes in? its not like its a 20 episode season about pro bending, its just a subplot ffs. Although I agree with him that the love triangle was bleh.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

Going back to The Last Airbender - I was watching The Siege of the North and Han, the jerk betrothed to princess Yue, refers to Sokka as "Soaka". Heh.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

So Anyway he's finished up now. And joined by Rob, who will not stop whining about people comments on the TLA V Logs, but no the plus side he agrees with me about the quickness of the finale.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

His review of the film is up.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

A 40 minute one at that. Pretty stuffed with references to the show too, particularly Shymalan as Amon removing the talent of decent actors. And for a man who complained before about overusing the Foaming Mouth Guy gag...
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

The Nostalgia Critic convinced me to finally give Avatar a go. And honestly, it's one of the best damn shows I've ever seen. I burned through all three seasons over the last week, and just finished the finale tonight. I'm in a happy place right now :mrgreen:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

It really is the miracle show where everything came together, from Nickelodeon even, which isn't exactly know for it's quality entertainment these days.

Just as an aside, the vlogs are continuing as new Korra episodes air.

Rebel Spirits/Southern Lights
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Chimaera wrote:The Nostalgia Critic convinced me to finally give Avatar a go. And honestly, it's one of the best damn shows I've ever seen. I burned through all three seasons over the last week, and just finished the finale tonight. I'm in a happy place right now :mrgreen:
Yeah, it really is something special, isn't it?

"Sozin's Comet" especially ranks among my favorite series finales of all time.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Yeah, the ending fight between Zuko and Azula is the most gorgeous piece of animation I've ever seen.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

So how does Korra match up to Airbender overall?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Chimaera wrote:So how does Korra match up to Airbender overall?
The first season is quite excellent.

Because it started as an extended mini-series, the storytelling is much tighter. There's no filler and all 12 episodes contribute to the overall arc.

The choice of antagonist -- the Equalists -- are a different and in a lot of ways more interesting antagonist than the Fire Nation.

The characters -- especially Korra -- embody some of the characteristics of the original characters, but are different enough to avoid being the Gaang 2.0.

So far, Book 2's so-so.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

It might sound silly, but after watching ATLA and falling love with the show and the characters, I'm rather hesitant to watch Korra, as I know that Spoiler
Aang has been dead for several years, as has Sokka, and Katara's an 85 year old woman.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Chimaera wrote:It might sound silly, but after watching ATLA and falling love with the show and the characters, I'm rather hesitant to watch Korra, as I know that Spoiler
Aang has been dead for several years, as has Sokka, and Katara's an 85 year old woman.
Spoiler
It is sad to know that the GAang won't be a part of the story, but trust me, you'll very much enjoy the characters we meet in the show. Also, the world LoK takes place in is directly influenced by what the GAang did. Look at the show as a way to see their legacy, not more of their stories. And the world developed in it is intricate, interesting, and very nuanced.
Seriously though, watch it. While it won't be The Last Airbender, it is certainly still Avatar. :)
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Right, I'm an idiot. That's part one.

This is part 2.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ok, so he's going through Adventure Time now. Got to keep that revenue stream coming in. But I've never seen any Adventure Time, so I don't know how interested people will be.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Adventure Time is hilarious, I'll see what he makes of it :D

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

He's done a top eleven worst episodes for this series as an editorial.

It's viewable: Here and is up on the main site tonight. Worth a watch for his thoughts and a surprise at the end.

i can see his logic for a fair view of his choices. And they tally a lot with his known opinions on unoriginal plots. But others not so much especially 11 and 10 which just seems to be criticising them to take some time for character development. I don't think you could fit Boiling Rock into one episode without spoiling it for example.

On an non-avatar note. I wonder why he's releasing episodes a day early on another site. It's the kind of thing I expect to a patreon or reward or something. Not for everyone.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I disagree with his opinion on "The Great Divide". I thought it showed that Aang had a cunning side to him, as well as a creative way of figuring out solutions beyond the obvious difficult ones (which came in handy later in the series).
Spoiler
The whole point with the feud was that it was so old and petty that they didn't really even know what it was truly about anymore, so telling them a small lie that ended the feud was more or less harmless.

I do agree with the criticism of Jet and the whole "We don't teach women how to fight-bend in the Northern Water Tribe, although I notch that down to the show still being in the first season and trying to get itself sorted out. The sexism was something that was resolved and never showed up again in any other bending context (in fact, one of the things I like about both Avatar series is that it shows a world that's more or less free of typical sexism), and Jet probably would have been a better character if he'd been introduced in Season 2, or later. In fact, he is a more interesting character when we see him in Season 2, traveling with Zuko.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Guardsman Bass wrote:I disagree with his opinion on "The Great Divide". I thought it showed that Aang had a cunning side to him, as well as a creative way of figuring out solutions beyond the obvious difficult ones (which came in handy later in the series).
Spoiler
The whole point with the feud was that it was so old and petty that they didn't really even know what it was truly about anymore, so telling them a small lie that ended the feud was more or less harmless.

I do agree with the criticism of Jet and the whole "We don't teach women how to fight-bend in the Northern Water Tribe, although I notch that down to the show still being in the first season and trying to get itself sorted out. The sexism was something that was resolved and never showed up again in any other bending context (in fact, one of the things I like about both Avatar series is that it shows a world that's more or less free of typical sexism), and Jet probably would have been a better character if he'd been introduced in Season 2, or later. In fact, he is a more interesting character when we see him in Season 2, traveling with Zuko.
Spoiler
Jet, and the situation he's in, was more interesting in season 2 partly because we know who he was and what he's about from the first series.

Most of the criticisms of episode seem to be "this episode follows too common a formula"
My only real disagreement with the list (because yes, all the episodes on it have redeeming features, and are all, possibly barring The Great Divide, necessary to the series from the perspective of character or plot development, but there are definitely stronger episodes than basically all of them in Avatar) is that The Boiling Rock does need to be a two parter, and Imprisoned is a strictly worse version of the same concept with less interesting stakes.