Movies that are much better than their reputation

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Re: Movies that are much better than their reputation

Post by Tiriol »

Zor wrote:I never got the hatred that some people showed for "The Island". I never thought of it as a great movie, but nothing that offensive.

I would also like to say Kingdom of the Crystal Skull gets a bit more Hate than it deserves. I can understand why some people did not like it, but getting hung up on certain details like the Nuclear Fridge Scene (I know that being thrown about like that would kill him in Real Life, but then again so would that raft sequence in Temple of Doom) or the fact that their was aliens instead of some mystic mumbo jumbo.

Zor
I also find the KotCS underappreciated, really. It was nothing new to Indiana Jones movies, it acknowledged that Doctor Jones had aged and it brought back the best love interest he has ever had (and I just loved her eyes, they seemed so full of excitement). I laughed at the nuke scene and I didn't find the aliens that bad. However, the villains were not that good - with the Nazis and mad Thuggee cultists they could go all-out, but for some reason it seemed that they pulled their punches with the Soviets. That's just a gut feeling, though.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
Hilan
Redshirt

Post by Hilan »

Skyfall a bond series movie , Its reputation is so good in all over the world but this part is not good enough, despite this the movie have done a great business and this is just for the reputation.
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Treasure Planet got 68% on RT, but I think it's one of Disney's greatest animated movies.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

hongi wrote:Treasure Planet got 68% on RT, but I think it's one of Disney's greatest animated movies.
I loved Treasure Planet as a kid. Now you've reminded me of it I'm going to have to find it now.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Tiriol wrote:
Zor wrote:I never got the hatred that some people showed for "The Island". I never thought of it as a great movie, but nothing that offensive.

I would also like to say Kingdom of the Crystal Skull gets a bit more Hate than it deserves. I can understand why some people did not like it, but getting hung up on certain details like the Nuclear Fridge Scene (I know that being thrown about like that would kill him in Real Life, but then again so would that raft sequence in Temple of Doom) or the fact that their was aliens instead of some mystic mumbo jumbo.

Zor
I also find the KotCS underappreciated, really. It was nothing new to Indiana Jones movies, it acknowledged that Doctor Jones had aged and it brought back the best love interest he has ever had (and I just loved her eyes, they seemed so full of excitement). I laughed at the nuke scene and I didn't find the aliens that bad. However, the villains were not that good - with the Nazis and mad Thuggee cultists they could go all-out, but for some reason it seemed that they pulled their punches with the Soviets. That's just a gut feeling, though.
well I showed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to my dad and he liked it and he's generally rather blunt about his dislikes.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Silver Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by Silver Jedi »

Grandma's Boy. Sure, it's a cheap stoner flick. Yes, I'm pretty sure half the cast was actually high while they were shooting it. It's about as low-brow as you can get, to be honest ("Jerking off on my mom is one thing, but banging your grandma and her roommates? That's like... Legendary").
Despite all of that, it's still a very funny movie. The tone is lighthearted and goofy, the characters are entertaining (if at times a bit bizarre) and it's extremely quotable (for lack of a better term). The one liners stick with you. Rotten Tomatoes has it at a mere 18% among critics, while audience rated it a whopping 84% fresh. AFAIK, the only movie with a higher discrepancy on RT is Boondock Saints, but that's a whole different type of movie.
Not a n00b, just a lurker

108th post on Wed Jun 28, 2006 A Whoop!

200th post on Fri Feb 3, 2012 Six months shy of a decade!
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I see what you did there.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Silver Jedi wrote:Despite all of that, it's still a very funny movie. The tone is lighthearted and goofy, the characters are entertaining (if at times a bit bizarre) and it's extremely quotable (for lack of a better term). The one liners stick with you. Rotten Tomatoes has it at a mere 18% among critics, while audience rated it a whopping 84% fresh. AFAIK, the only movie with a higher discrepancy on RT is Boondock Saints, but that's a whole different type of movie.
Part of the problem with this is that movie reviewers often want movies to be considered serious art and completely lowbrow humor doesn't work in that regard.

Another movie I would say fits is Land of the Lost which only has a 26% on RT. I found it a reasonably entertaining movie in a manner that was similar to Airplane(though obviously not quite to the same level).

Regarding The Crystal Skull, part of the problem was exactly the same as the SW prequels, people expected exactly the same as the originals and were annoyed when they didn't get it. In the case of Indiana Jones, the new movie was meant to be more analogous to 50's comic books as opposed to the 30's serials feel of the originals. This explains the alien element as well as the nuke scene, at the time nuclear weapons were not considered that dangerous, hence the life fire drills with soldiers.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Silver Jedi wrote:Grandma's Boy. Sure, it's a cheap stoner flick. Yes, I'm pretty sure half the cast was actually high while they were shooting it. It's about as low-brow as you can get, to be honest ("Jerking off on my mom is one thing, but banging your grandma and her roommates? That's like... Legendary").
Despite all of that, it's still a very funny movie. The tone is lighthearted and goofy, the characters are entertaining (if at times a bit bizarre) and it's extremely quotable (for lack of a better term). The one liners stick with you. Rotten Tomatoes has it at a mere 18% among critics, while audience rated it a whopping 84% fresh. AFAIK, the only movie with a higher discrepancy on RT is Boondock Saints, but that's a whole different type of movie.
The scene with the chimp driving the car with them shouting "Drive monkey drive!" has really stuck with me for some reason. :lol:
Best care anywhere.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

The Darkest Hour. It gets slammed as just another Cloverfield knockoff, set in Moscow and featuring yet more clueless Americans as protagonists, and currently has 12% at Rotten Tomatoes. I've actually found it superior to your average disaster flick, because while the protagonists are typically useless at anything but dying, the Russian supporting cast is pretty solid and proactive and manages to fight back successfully. Plus, Gosha Kutsenko (one of the most popular Russian actors right now) and his cops are awesome:

Scratch a Russian and you will find an Ork. Invisible electro-aliens? Dress up in shiny gubbins and give 'em dakka until they run away!

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Yeah, it was a surprisingly good movie. I bought it cheap and expected something not very good, but the characters worked well and the aliens were interestingly vulnerable.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Another film that I suspect is underrated is X-Men three. It had pretty good fight scenes, special effects, and music, I prefer how Magneto was depicted in it to how he was depicted in the second film (I think he became so extreme in the second film that he lost some of the complexity and sympathetic side he had in the first film), and having so many characters die was a good idea because it's about a war and it made it feel more serious. And Magneto's fate was so fitting.

The biggest flaw was the implication after the credits that Xavier survived.