Stark
Emperor's Hand

Action figures

Post by Stark »

i need some kind of universal scale business

maybe i use a coke can

they have coke in canada!

photo montage required; let me know what you've got lying around
Last edited by Thanas on 2013-02-19 03:27am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to reflect content
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: hey aaron 40k boxes n contents

Post by Thanas »

DP deleted.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

you need scale shots of the boxes themselves and not the figures? Basic troops or a particular type of box? They have a few different sizes...
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

i kind of want scaled comp shots of the box and the contents (ie the bits or the figures or whatevs)

i know aaron and his son do a lot of 40k and i think he said he still had some kits or boxes around
Bob the Gunslinger

How good does the quality need to be? I can probably snap off a quick photo, but it would be with a crappy cell phone camera.

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

i guess it doesn't need to be very good at all really. i'd just use my phone camera too.

but some posh ones would be sweet
Bob the Gunslinger

Give me a moment to get a box out...

Bob the Gunslinger

Uploading photo to computer and trying to remember photobucket password...

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

man goddamn photobucket

picasa sucks but it meets the 'better than photobucket' metric i had at the time :V
Bob the Gunslinger

Well, if you have a recommendation that's free and fairly quick to sign up for, I'm all ears. Or eyes.

Bob the Gunslinger

Bob the Gunslinger

Does this work?

I didn't have a coke can, so I improvised.

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

If there's a free image host with good phone integration and good links I want to know too

PS ohmagerd

Do you have a box for the single larger things that come in kit Like a tank or dread or whatever? Thanks for your help already!
Bob the Gunslinger

I have a box, or part of a box, for a superheavy, but I've recycled or sold away all the boxes for mid-sized vehicles.

Actually, I might have a tank box (Chimera) somewhere if you don't mind a bit of a wait. It's in a pile of stuff in the office closet. Do you need the photo tonight?

You're welcome. :)

May I ask what purpose the photo serves? I'm just curious.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Why is this nerdery happening?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Thanks a lot; do you have the super heavy tank? I'm curious how big they are

I'm really curious about gw's crazy pricing and their box related marketing. Like some stuff has really big boxes (for shelves and buyers) but the tanks etc themselves are quite small. I know what the stuff looks like but I've never bought anyway so don't know how the size of box compares to size of the thing once assembled.

It came up cause I bought some model kits the size of a shoebox and the result is maybe 15cm long. Lol

Ps Hav ACTION FIGURES
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Word.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Bob the Gunslinger

Stark wrote:Thanks a lot; do you have the super heavy tank? I'm curious how big they are

I'm really curious about gw's crazy pricing and their box related marketing. Like some stuff has really big boxes (for shelves and buyers) but the tanks etc themselves are quite small. I know what the stuff looks like but I've never bought anyway so don't know how the size of box compares to size of the thing once assembled.

It came up cause I bought some model kits the size of a shoebox and the result is maybe 15cm long. Lol

Ps Hav ACTION FIGURES
I'm not sure I have the super heavy right now. I'm actually part of a company that makes wargames and rpg terrain, Angry Badger Online (plug), so a lot of my vehicles are over at the main kit designer's house so he can check the scale against upcoming works in progress.

If you can wait a couple of days I can get some of the vehicles together for a picture.

GW's pricing has little to do with the size of the box, except for the biggest vehicles. Most of their smaller units are priced by how effective they are in the game, so that Land Raiders are much more expensive than a similarly-sized kit that isn't as useful. Or it was. they have implemented some crazy price leaps the last few years, especially in Australia, where prices nearly doubled a year ago. Basically, a vehicle that is two sprues can cost more than a vehicle that is three or four based on when it came out in the yearly price hike schedule and how useful it is in the game. For example, a Necron flyer is about half the price of a Space marine flyer. Space marines cost a fourth as much per miniature as similarly-sized Terminators and come in the same box size.

As for the size compared to the box, usually it's the size of the sprues that determine the size of the box. Kits with large flat planes or with dozens of intricate details need to fit on larger sprues than a kit of a bunch of basic dudes. The superheavy box is about 12" by 18" by 4" just estimating from memory, ad the tank is about 12" longish and 5 tall.

Let me know what you want photos of and I'll try to set up a big picture, but it's starting to get late here so I may need to take the pics tomorrow.

Bob the Gunslinger

Sorry if my typing is a bit rambly. I'm pretty tired. Just let me know what you want a picture of and when and I'll try to get it up. Unless Aaron beats me to it. ;)

Good night?

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

No rush at all. I'm not going to complain about all the free hell you're giving me :v

And in AU seriously a land raider is $110 and although I know it's probably one of the biggest not-super kits you can get, that's just totally insane. I'm curious (naively probably) to see the size, quality and form of what you get for your cash, y'know? Especially considering even a land raider isn't really very big as models go.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I can get you a pic of a completed Baneblade next to its (old) box, if that helps. It won't have the kit layout in its sprues or anything.

edit: GW prices have gotten particularly insane lately (even I can't justify buying it anymore). When I bought a Land Raider I think it was... $45 US? Now it's something stupid like $70.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

hey thanks bcg

so i found a picture of a baneblade, some FW thing and a regular predator

are predators really 1/4 the size of a baneblade?