Government, Conspiracies And Stealing My Guns

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Post Reply
User avatar
Havok
Miscreant
Posts: 13016
Joined: 2005-07-02 10:41pm
Location: Oakland CA
Contact:

Government, Conspiracies And Stealing My Guns

Post by Havok » 2013-01-18 05:38pm

Why is it that all the idiots and whackadoos that I come across think the U.S. government is complete crap and totally incompetent EXCEPT when it comes to massive conspiracies, converting the country to socialism/Communism and organizing to take guns away from citizens?

I WISH our government was credible and capable enough of carrying out a 9/11 in scope type conspiracy. Am I alone in seeing or thing these crazy thoughts?
Image
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"

User avatar
Stark
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 36169
Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Government, Conspiracies And Stealing My Guns

Post by Stark » 2013-01-18 05:40pm

There's a lot of dissonant ideas that seem to be held simultaneously in the 'American consciousness', but the gun thing at least seems to be self-fulfilling. I'm not sure if its because its such an old issue that people have grown up with, but policymakers on both sides constantly stoke the pot with their policies. Whether that's just poorly thought out partisan policy, or extremely well thought of divisive wedge issues used for ruthless political gain from an insane culture, I'm not qualified to say.

Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight
Posts: 834
Joined: 2012-06-07 04:24pm

Re: Government, Conspiracies And Stealing My Guns

Post by Dr. Trainwreck » 2013-01-18 08:06pm

Because some people are such incredible egomaniac douchebags, they truly think that the entire state apparatus has to move in order to squash them, and all sinister plans must first dispose of them in order to work. Let's be honest here: the power grabs and tyranny they are afraid of will happen sometime, and the egomaniac idiots are so stupid they will cheer for it. No power structure be it democracy, oligarchy or empire can survive without the people's consent and apathy, booted by some support.
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman

User avatar
mingo
Jedi Knight
Posts: 730
Joined: 2005-10-15 08:05am
Location: San Francisco of Michigan
Contact:

Re: Government, Conspiracies And Stealing My Guns

Post by mingo » 2013-01-19 07:00am

I'm fond of reminding people that the US government couldn't conspire to get the President a blow job without everybody finding out about it.

User avatar
JME2
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 12258
Joined: 2003-02-02 04:04pm

Re: Government, Conspiracies And Stealing My Guns

Post by JME2 » 2013-01-19 12:36pm

mingo wrote:I'm fond of reminding people that the US government couldn't conspire to get the President a blow job without everybody finding out about it.
Heh.

User avatar
Stark
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 36169
Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Government, Conspiracies And Stealing My Guns

Post by Stark » 2013-01-19 03:33pm

mingo wrote:I'm fond of reminding people that the US government couldn't conspire to get the President a blow job without everybody finding out about it.
Since that's something many administrations wouldn't even bother hiding, its a pretty asinine example. Indeed, its exactly the kind of harmless shit that would distract the media from a putative governments relocation programs/domestic spying programs/black helicopters/etc. Even shit like America ruining the lives of millions of people in Iraq and Afghanistan is making their pals heaps of money.

If you're one of the people Hav is talking about, you may believe that the government is totally useless and can barely run the country without pissing its pants while at the same time believing it has an army of soulless shock troopers ready to crush the American dream forever. Maybe the appeal of holding these two ideas is that they're both obviously wrong, so people can think about politics in a dramatised, fictional way, rather than dealing with the idea that politics is a real and important thing that shapes the lives of millions.

User avatar
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Posts: 12797
Joined: 2005-06-09 09:56pm
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: Government, Conspiracies And Stealing My Guns

Post by Flagg » 2013-01-19 05:37pm

I'm of the opinion that if you're convinced the guvmint is going to take yer gunz, then the government should probably take your guns.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2939
Joined: 2007-03-04 06:52pm
Location: Korea.

Re: Government, Conspiracies And Stealing My Guns

Post by CaptHawkeye » 2013-01-19 07:25pm

Stark wrote:If you're one of the people Hav is talking about, you may believe that the government is totally useless and can barely run the country without pissing its pants while at the same time believing it has an army of soulless shock troopers ready to crush the American dream forever. Maybe the appeal of holding these two ideas is that they're both obviously wrong, so people can think about politics in a dramatised, fictional way, rather than dealing with the idea that politics is a real and important thing that shapes the lives of millions.
That's the only explanation I can think of for explaining how someone like Ron Paul and his private army of anarchist lunatics exist. Some people don't understand why political and social institutions exist, and they don't want to understand either.

After all, when a guy like Ron Paul promises to shut down the Fed and gut the establishment, that's attractive to a substantial number of people precisely because it means they wouldn't have to understand how or why any of that shit works. They never consider for a moment the possibility that a given social system they dislike is around precisely *because* it helps people, just not them. It has to be a shadowy conspiracy and the millions of Americans employed by the Government are all in on it because you *could* cut them fat checks to commit social fraud on a level for which their is no precedent. Since the possibility, however small, is there it must also mean that it's exactly the case!

Ultimately when you cut to the chase Anarchists and their extension Conspiracy Theorists (who have since adopted American gun-owners) are just deeply cynical people who place no real faith in the social contract. Anybody they haven't met and scrutinized personally is guilty until proven innocent.

I want to emphasize that the above is how I feel about Anarchistic views in the FIRST world. Anarchists in other countries actually have a case for many of their criticisms (though not necessarily their agenda) and I can see how the experiences of people in the Third World would contribute to the Government = Evil attitude. However that's all a different animal.
Best care anywhere.

User avatar
mingo
Jedi Knight
Posts: 730
Joined: 2005-10-15 08:05am
Location: San Francisco of Michigan
Contact:

Re: Government, Conspiracies And Stealing My Guns

Post by mingo » 2013-01-27 03:00am

Stark wrote:
If you're one of the people Hav is talking about, you may believe that the government is totally useless and can barely run the country without pissing its pants while at the same time believing it has an army of soulless shock troopers ready to crush the American dream forever. Maybe the appeal of holding these two ideas is that they're both obviously wrong, so people can think about politics in a dramatised, fictional way, rather than dealing with the idea that politics is a real and important thing that shapes the lives of millions.

Not exactly, my point was that the black helicopter, one world government fears where unfounded ,given our governments inability to keep much simpler, much more benign things secret. I agree with your point the US government is not completely ineffective, nor is it universally evil, it's just not able to pull off all the trilateral commission, Illuminati, new world order shit that some people keep insisting is the dark beating heart of power behind the power.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but the conquering of it.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-Anais Nin

User avatar
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4854
Joined: 2011-04-22 11:04pm
Location: Ocularis Terribus.

Re: Government, Conspiracies And Stealing My Guns

Post by Ahriman238 » 2013-01-27 12:53pm

I think, deep down, some people simply WANT to believe that the government they see is a distraction and a puppet show and behind the scenes there are actually competent people in charge.

Or perhaps it's even simpler. Who was it who said that paranoia is the most comforting state of being, because if everyone is out to get you it means that you and your life matter?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud

User avatar
thejester
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1811
Joined: 2005-06-10 07:16pm
Location: Richard Nixon's Secret Tapes Club Band

Re: Government, Conspiracies And Stealing My Guns

Post by thejester » 2013-01-27 09:25pm

Havok wrote:Why is it that all the idiots and whackadoos that I come across think the U.S. government is complete crap and totally incompetent EXCEPT when it comes to massive conspiracies, converting the country to socialism/Communism and organizing to take guns away from citizens?

I WISH our government was credible and capable enough of carrying out a 9/11 in scope type conspiracy. Am I alone in seeing or thing these crazy thoughts?
I think there's definitely massive cognitive dissonance in the way the government is seen by the right-wing, but I think it'd be silly not to acknowledge a certain amount of fuel being on the fire. Look at stuff like Ruby Ridge, where a relatively minor gun issue is used to justify a massively disproportionate and ultimately incompetent response that ends up with half a family dead.
Image
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson

User avatar
Dominarch's Hope
Village Idiot
Posts: 395
Joined: 2013-01-25 01:02am

Re: Government, Conspiracies And Stealing My Guns

Post by Dominarch's Hope » 2013-01-27 09:32pm

Ruby Ridge was incredibly retarded. Unlike Waco, there was essentialy zero justification for it.
Because, Murrica, thats why.

User avatar
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2939
Joined: 2007-03-04 06:52pm
Location: Korea.

Re: Government, Conspiracies And Stealing My Guns

Post by CaptHawkeye » 2013-01-27 09:33pm

I don't think anybody worth their salt would ever conclude that social institutions work flawlessly. The issue is with the folks who think they don't work at all because they're too near-sighted to understand why the Government exists. It isn't just to benefit them.

You run into people in America every day who think Affirmative Action is a force of evil. They don't fathom why minorities are favored by a long-term program designed to break hundreds of years of race concentration in America's communities.
Best care anywhere.

Post Reply