Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "In the United States, the majority undertakes to supply a multitude of ready-made opinions for the use of individuals, who are thus relieved from the necessity of forming opinions of their own." - Alexis de Tocqueville, French writer (1805-1859)


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Apple patents rectangle PostPosted: 2012-11-15 05:00pm
Offline
Jedi Master

Joined: 2011-07-15 05:31pm
Posts: 1303
Yes, pure rectangle, with slightly rounded corners. No buttons or anything like that, their newest patent is literally 4 lines. Oh, and according to their lawyer, apparently there is absolutely no prior art whatsoever.

I wonder, how long will it take until fanboys will spin it into another genius design idea? :lol:

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Apple patents rectangle PostPosted: 2012-11-15 05:07pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2010-06-21 11:05am
Posts: 3585
Location: In Transit
Does anyone even bother to read patent applications before marking them "approved" anymore?



There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)


IReplace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin


My tea cosy has a mohawk. Your argument is invalid.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Apple patents rectangle PostPosted: 2012-11-15 05:50pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-18 06:08pm
Posts: 13225
Location: Poland
Zaune wrote:
Does anyone even bother to read patent applications before marking them "approved" anymore?


I wouldn't be surprised if they preferred to count the zeros on their freshly charged bank account instead.



Image
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Apple patents rectangle PostPosted: 2012-11-15 06:08pm
Offline
Miscreant
User avatar

Joined: 2005-07-02 10:41pm
Posts: 12369
Location: Oakland CA
It's just a design patent people. Calm down.



Image

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Apple patents rectangle PostPosted: 2012-11-16 09:51am
Offline
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
User avatar

Joined: 2004-02-26 10:44pm
Posts: 5747
Location: Versace Versace Medusa head on me like I'm 'luminati
Groundbreaking. The ghost of Steve Jobs designed that, clearly.



XXV

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Apple patents rectangle PostPosted: 2012-11-16 04:55pm
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2007-06-19 12:48pm
Posts: 5212
Location: Putting out fires in the library.
Does anyone remember when Apple was about exploring what can be done with new technologies, both hardware and software, creating new things that can be done?

I think I saw them doing that sometime in a documentary.



Dungeon Keeper 3, under a different name, in the works. On kickstarter.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Apple patents rectangle PostPosted: 2012-11-16 06:19pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Posts: 36168
Location: Brisbane, Australia
What are you talking about?

Amusingly this shows the 'cant win' situation for Apple regarding the Android Armada; people complain when they protect their IP so they err on the side of caution and register more shit to avoid the situation in future. The result? OMG TEH APPLOLS!

Maybe you guys should fix your patent system. :lol:



Elfdart wrote:
my first manager and I spent the better part of an hour in his office asking an insanely hot female employee to go through the "B" authors in the Lit section. Why? Because that would make her climb up on the ladder right where the security camera was and gave us a perfect view of her perfect gazongas
whatisprojectzohar.com

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Apple patents rectangle PostPosted: 2012-11-16 06:33pm
Offline
CUNTS FOR EYES!
User avatar

Joined: 2005-06-09 09:56pm
Posts: 8684
Location: The Great, Green Pacific Northwest! It's Raining...
Stark wrote:
What are you talking about?

Amusingly this shows the 'cant win' situation for Apple regarding the Android Armada; people complain when they protect their IP so they err on the side of caution and register more shit to avoid the situation in future. The result? OMG TEH APPLOLS!

Maybe you guys should fix your patent system. :lol:

Seriousely. People should be pissed at the US Patent system for allowing you to patent a rectangle with rounded corners not at Apple for taking advantage of weak ass laws.



Image
The Liberal Hate Machine
Kill them all!
-The Governor

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Apple patents rectangle PostPosted: 2012-11-16 06:35pm
Offline
Sith Devotee
User avatar

Joined: 2007-10-05 09:55pm
Posts: 3397
Location: San Francisco, California, United States
They've also been granted a patent on turning virtual pages.
Apple patents the virtual page turn
Image
(CNN) -- Apple is now the proud owner of the page turn.

In a patent approved this week by the United States Patent Office Apple was awarded a design patent for "Display screen or portion thereof with animated graphical user interface."

The patent illustration shows three images: One with the corner of a page being turned slightly, the next with it halfway, and a third showing the page almost entirely turned over.

A feature used in Apple's iBooks, and books in general, the patent represents one of 38 different patents granted to Apple this week.

The New York Times points out that this isn't the first "seemingly obvious" patent that Apple has been awarded. Previously the company was granted a patent for the musical note icon it uses to represent iTunes and the glass staircase it uses it stores.

Over the past several years Apple has made quite a few headlines for its involvement in patent suits against other device makers.

Earlier this year Apple won a patent lawsuit against Samsung, walking away with $1 billion in restitution, and has recently made moves to go after Samsung products that were released after that court ruling, including the Galaxy Note 10.1.

Earlier this week it settled a different patent case with handset maker HTC with a 10-year licensing agreement of patents held by both companies reportedly requiring HTC to pay Apple $6 to $8 per Android handset it sells.

Should Apple have been awarded a patent for the page turn? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.


Also, the Patent Office has laws regarding rejection of obvious or prior-art patents (both of these should fall under said provisions). Why they aren't being enforced, I couldn't tell you.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Apple patents rectangle PostPosted: 2012-11-16 06:52pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Posts: 36168
Location: Brisbane, Australia
There are plenty of non-Apple examples of the same shit. The patent system is fucked.



Elfdart wrote:
my first manager and I spent the better part of an hour in his office asking an insanely hot female employee to go through the "B" authors in the Lit section. Why? Because that would make her climb up on the ladder right where the security camera was and gave us a perfect view of her perfect gazongas
whatisprojectzohar.com

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Apple patents rectangle PostPosted: 2012-11-16 07:01pm
Offline
Sith Devotee
User avatar

Joined: 2007-10-05 09:55pm
Posts: 3397
Location: San Francisco, California, United States
I agree. That obvious prior art exists means these patent applications should've been rejected out of hand. Fuck, I had a tablet in 2004 with a rectangular form factor and rounded corners.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Apple patents rectangle PostPosted: 2012-11-17 04:16am
Offline
Dragonlord
Dragonlord
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-11 12:27am
Posts: 11480
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Never mind the page turning shit that already existed in some games in the 1990s and more so in the early 2000s, so those are both absolutely without merit. Then again, in its current state, so is the entire US patent system.



Warwolf Urban Combat Specialist

Image
Why is it so goddamned hard to get little assholes like you to admit it when you fuck up? Is it pride? What gives you the right to have any pride?
–Darth Wong to vivftp

GOP message? Why don't they just come out of the closet: FASCISTS R' US –Patrick Degan

The GOP has a problem with anyone coming out of the closet. –18-till-I-die

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Apple patents rectangle PostPosted: 2012-11-17 06:26am
Offline
Jedi Master

Joined: 2011-07-15 05:31pm
Posts: 1303
Stark wrote:
Amusingly this shows the 'cant win' situation for Apple regarding the Android Armada; people complain when they protect their IP so they err on the side of caution and register more shit to avoid the situation in future. The result? OMG TEH APPLOLS!

"Err on the side of caution"? You mean, try shit no one sane would think worthy spending minute thinking on, that's how retarded patenting slide-to-unlock, page-turn, and rectangles is? :roll:

No one would have anything against Apple if they patented really original stuff, like their rather nice and original iPhone concept they had at one time, but patenting things with millions of obvious prior arts is beyond idiocy. Btw, while I agree patent system should be changed, laying fault at everyone but Apple is arguing it's the victim's fault when something left unsupervised goes missing, not the guy who had decided to run with it.

Also, huh, it took almost two days for first defence to show up. Fanboys are starting to slip, eh? :lol:

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Apple patents rectangle PostPosted: 2012-11-17 08:08am
Offline
Jedi Council Member
User avatar

Joined: 2003-10-06 05:37pm
Posts: 1664
Location: Leeds, UK
Irbis wrote:
Btw, while I agree patent system should be changed, laying fault at everyone but Apple is arguing it's the victim's fault when something left unsupervised goes missing, not the guy who had decided to run with it.

Where has anyone made that argument? If anything, the people in this thread are rebutting the notion that Apple are the only people doing this, or the even more idiotic notion that, yeah, this shit goes on in the tech industry all the time, but Apple are somehow worse than everyone else for this and therefore the only company who actually deserve to be punished for it (which is sort of like saying that it's okay to be an insane genocidal dictator so long as your name isn't Robert Mugabe).

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Apple patents rectangle PostPosted: 2012-11-17 08:21pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Posts: 36168
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Are you retarded, Irbis? They're in litigation and they're registering everything they can. It's not THEIR fault the laws are so fucking stupid and poorly administered. You can't even really blame bribes because if the rules were clear and sensible it wouldn't be possible to slip such absurd shit past.

Remember when Amazon patented fucking one-click checkouts? WHAT A LAUGH.



Elfdart wrote:
my first manager and I spent the better part of an hour in his office asking an insanely hot female employee to go through the "B" authors in the Lit section. Why? Because that would make her climb up on the ladder right where the security camera was and gave us a perfect view of her perfect gazongas
whatisprojectzohar.com

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Apple patents rectangle PostPosted: 2012-11-18 02:03am
Offline
Lord of the Spam
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-21 11:59pm
Posts: 7750
Location: NYC
Stark wrote:
There are plenty of non-Apple examples of the same shit. The patent system is fucked.


Fun fact:

The US Patent system used to be one of the best in the world. Then George H. W. Bush decided the system cost too much, so he slashed the budget and made it dependent on application fees. This has meant that the Patent system has scaled down any and all fact-checking, and has had acceptance rates skyrocket because it needs to accept as many patents as it can to stay afloat. This thread is a testament to the results.



"My annoyance is exacerbated by the fact that the suffering I am witnessing now cannot exist on its own, it has to fall into the hierarchy of a “lesser animal suffering.” In the made-for-TV reality of American culture, the only acceptable genocide is historical. It’s comforting—it’s over. Twenty million murdered humans deserve to be more than a reference point. I am annoyed that I don’t have more power in communicating what I’ve seen apart from stuttering: “It’s like the Holocaust” " - Susan Coe

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], TronPaul and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group