Chicken and Waffles aren't Southern

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Chicken and Waffles aren't Southern

Post by FaxModem1 »

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/0 ... as-its-own
Fried Chicken And Waffles: The Dish The South Denied As Its Own?

by Maria Godoy
February 15, 2013 7:58 AM
Chicken and waffles: so delicious, yet so controversial. Enlarge image

Chicken and waffles: so delicious, yet so controversial.
Jennifer Yin

Call fried chicken and waffles a traditional Southern food, and you're liable to get accused of a damn Yankee conspiracy.

That's what we found out last week, when our story about the dangers of a Southern fried diet prompted many of you with roots in the South to protest – don't pin that dish on us! Here's a sampling of the comments we received:

"I'm a southerner, and I have never heard of fried chicken on a waffle!"

"I live in the deep, deep, deep South and I've never seen them in any of the 'soul' food places I eat."

"I grew up in the South. The first time I heard of fried chicken and waffles was during a summer working in LA ... definitely an LA thing and not southern thing."

"This is a Yankee-fied interpretation of a southern staple."

Your visceral reaction got us wondering: Were we wrong to assign this blend of carbs and fried goodness a Southern backstory? We put the question to John T. Edge, the director of the Southern Foodways Alliance and author of Fried Chicken: An American Story.

"It's a Southern dish," Edge tells The Salt, "but a Southern dish once or twice removed from the South."

"It's a dish most popular among expatriate, African-American Southerners," he adds, "a dish most popular among Southerners now living in urban areas, whether that be the urban South or the urban West, in the case of Los Angeles, or the urban North, in the case of New York."

So is it breakfast or dinner? Edge says there are no rules – except that the chicken should be on the bone. He prefers the dish with dark meat, a drizzle of maple syrup and a hit of Tabasco.

As Edge recounts in his book, both the East and West coasts get credit for popularizing fried chicken and waffles. In the 1930s, the combo was a signature offering at Well's Supper Club – a Harlem haunt that was a favorite of Sammy Davis Jr. and Nat King Cole. Out in Los Angeles, Roscoe's chain of soul food restaurants brought chicken and waffles to the Hollywood crowd starting in the 1970s.

But Edge suspects the dynamic duo has probably been a part of America's culinary repertoire for much longer — since the nation's earliest days, when Thomas Jefferson brought a waffle iron back from France. As for where chicken and waffles originated? Edge thinks it was multiple places — including the South.

"Killing a chicken, wringing its neck and cooking it for breakfast is a pretty traditional thing to do" in rural areas, he says. That's true in the South, he says, but also in the Midwest and in Pennsylvania Dutch country – where people have been pairing waffles with chicken — creamed, not fried – for centuries.

Adding a waffle may seem exotic, he says, but it's really not far removed from chicken and biscuits or chicken and corn bread – a waffle being a form of "quick bread." In many rural parts, he says, it was fairly common for a farm woman to kill a chicken on Sunday morning, batter it up, cook it in a cast-iron skillet and serve it for breakfast with some form of quick bread.

"That's a traditional dish," Edge says.

Hmm ... traditional. So why did we raise the hackles of so many readers? Edge has a theory.

"Any time you talk about fried chicken in the South," says Edge, "you're in essence talking about somebody's mama, and when you talk about somebody's mama, somebody gets mad."
Not really newsworthy, but interesting enough that I thought it was worth posting in OT.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: Chicken and Waffles aren't Southern

Post by PeZook »

The things people can get indigant about...
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

"It's a Southern dish," Edge tells The Salt, "but a Southern dish once or twice removed from the South."

"It's a dish most popular among expatriate, African-American Southerners," he adds, "a dish most popular among Southerners now living in urban areas, whether that be the urban South or the urban West, in the case of Los Angeles, or the urban North, in the case of New York."
Kinda like Cheerwine being popular among people with roots in North Carolina, and outside that state is mostly found in black neighborhoods or places like Cracker Barrel.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Elfdart wrote:

Kinda like Cheerwine being popular among people with roots in North Carolina, and outside that state is mostly found in black neighborhoods or places like Cracker Barrel.
What is cheerwine, other than it is a soft drink? What would you compare it to?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

I've never had it personally, but I know that it's cherry-flavored and highly carbonated. I've heard it tastes like Black Cherry Shasta, but with crazy Barq's-level carbonation.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

It's a cherry soda, but not like Cherry Coke or Cherry Dr Pepper (i.e. a cola with cherry added). The color looks almost like red wine, and it's extra fizzy. It is the perfect drink to have with Carolina-style pork barbecue, though beware there are still people from that area who mix chopped barbecue with coleslaw -on purpose!
:shock:
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

I've been forced to move to the Shenandoah Valley area, and Cheerwine is available out here. I had it and it's really very surprisingly good. I'm a Chicagoan only temporarily out here, and most of the local flavor I've found to be really unpleasent, but this fizzy stuff is good.

As a soda connoisseur, I would describe it as an extremely fizzy soda, almost like it was trying to evoke that hand-pulled feel you'd get at a working soda fountain. You get some of that from the flavor too. The stuff isn't sweet, it has a crisp taste, with a faux cherry flavor familiar to a cherry syrup coke. Despite having a "dark" flavor the stuff itself tastes "light" in the mouth, unlike a dense Pepsi or Root Beer style drink. I don't know how to describe it but that's just the kind of sensation it gives. I would describe it as a bright drink, but maybe I've got synesthesia.

Overall I'd say its worth ordering if you get a chance. A very satisfying soda from someone who enjoys pop, especially cherry pop, as my main vice.

(edit: apparently I can no longer form sentences)
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I checked out the Cheerwine website and according to them the local Giant Eagle sells them. But the address they had for the store would actually lead a person to some person's home and not a large food retailer. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

funny I had that for breakfast while visiting my brother in October, where we ate at a restaurant run by NO folks in Exile.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin