This is why the Chaser is awesome

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

This is why the Chaser is awesome

Post by mr friendly guy »

A few weeks ago A Current Affair did an Asian scare story which can been right here. Yes thats right folks. White Australians are going to have their stores closed to make way for an ALL Asian mall in a Sydney suburb. Only problem was, the story isn't true. Not that truth ever stopped ACA before. You see faced with criticism and allegations of racism, ACA went back again to that suburb to do a follow up report, which had essentially the same message (but Tracy Grimshaw put in a disclaimer, making it all better).

Such high levels of journalism naturally warranted a response from the Chaser team. Comedy gold especially with the comment from Chas - I swear the way things are going, one day I reckon there will be some kind of Asian community, some kind of Chinatown if you will.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: This is why the Chaser is awesome

Post by Gandalf »

Yeah, that's pretty shameful in just about every way.

I like that for all the talk about Castle Mall being "terrifying Asian beachhead" they completely ignore the fucking huge Castle Towers across the road. Castle Towers is packed with middle class white kids, and yuppie parents.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: This is why the Chaser is awesome

Post by Stark »

I live in a suburb that received heaps of immigrants from Asia (and thus investment from Asia) in the 70s, where basically all the malls were built by those immigrants or are now owned by their companies. One of them has a photo wall of the last 80 years, and before this happened it was apparently an orange plantation. Heaps of other immigrants live there now (and of course the families of those White Australians who already lived there) but that background of growth driven by immigration is impossible to ignore.

And people STILL say 'OMG SUNNYBANK FULL OF TEH ASAAAAAAAAAAAINS' and 'MADE WITH WRENCHES NOT CHOPSTICKS' and 'WHY SO MANY SHOPS OWNED BY ASIAN ENTREPRENERS PREPARED TO RUN THEIR OWN BUSINESS' and all the usual racist bullshit, even though the suburb is arguably a success story of foreign investment, development, integration, and benefit.

It also has a MEGA INTERNATIONAL BANK which I laughed at every day to and from work until I went to Taiwan and discovered it was a legitimately mega international bank. :V