Walking Dead Season 3 Discussion (Spoilers)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: Walking Dead Season 3 Discussion (Spoilers)

Post by Lonestar »

spaceviking wrote:I wonder how great a threat Woodburry is?
Spoiler
They have a tank
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Lonestar wrote:
spaceviking wrote:I wonder how great a threat Woodburry is?
Spoiler
They have a tank
Spoiler
lHow much gas would it take to get the tank to the prison?
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

spaceviking wrote:I wonder how great a threat Woodburry is? They lost a a number of fighters in the last attack, and Michones escape wiped out a team. They have a lot of citizens, but those people have been having bbq's and cookouts not continual battle. Mearle is gone and he seemed to run most of their outside operations. They have heavy weapons, I think that's about it.
Would say it depends on how many towers cover the yard, any truck will go through that fence and Woodbury has army LUVs. Without multiple towers that one tower is a sitting duck, and once through the yard doesn't look like any good high up spots to perch unless there's some roof access. They're also outmanned still, they have one handful of shooters, where Woodbury looks to have a couple cars worth of dedicated fighters not counting how many they can recruit and use as fodder. Hoping Rick and company try to put up a bit more defense, couple cars covering the gate isn't enough.

Also surprised they really haven't gone forward with plans to use the jail, no planting of crops and no more clearing of cell blocks, or no mention of it at least. Maybe they will stretch out the jail siege or have couple of probing attacks and trojan horse style like the comics.
Last edited by Meest on 2013-02-12 03:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

But a prison assault is going to be loud. If woodburry does not take the prison fast then more and more zombies are going to be showing up. Ricks group does not need to win, they just need to hold one area of the prison. Mearle did not think that Woodburry could take the prison, and that was with nobody shooting at them and Mearle leading them.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Honestly, it seems to me that Merle was lazy and had different priorities. Go in methodically, lose a few people --> unacceptable because we have Woodbury already. That problem does not factor into the decisions of people like Rick who have nothing to lose. The Governor should have ripped off the bandage and gotten everyone to the prison but he wanted to create his little utopia so he got what he deserved.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Axel, noooo! You follow me?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Andrea is still tempted by the dream of the safety of Woodburry. Good to see Daryl talking some sense into Merle. And Merle earned some points. But its clear he will still be a liability.

And there goes the last inmate. They already kicked out the other survivors. Great. This group is going to shrink and die.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

How the fuck did that guy get in the guard tower?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

The real question is where the fuck did the person driving the zombiemobile go?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Also why didn't they fire at it. It was going to be full of something attacking them.

The governor is an idiot though, they should have brought more people and pushed through. How easy would it be for Daryl and Meale to go at night shoot a few people off the wall and retreat. Or better yet, break a section of the wall and start a fire.
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

spaceviking wrote:Also why didn't they fire at it. It was going to be full of something attacking them.

The governor is an idiot though, they should have brought more people and pushed through. How easy would it be for Daryl and Meale to go at night shoot a few people off the wall and retreat. Or better yet, break a section of the wall and start a fire.
They had to show him being a champ again by just turning his head to avoid gunfire. Really sad that the action scenes are still lacking. They attack Woodbury like pros with great aim and super smoke cover, they get "surprise" attacked in daylight and go full on stupid. They aren't seasoned soldiers but they are seasoned survivors expected a bit more, just hope it's not them trying to show the girls can't survive without the men. The guy in the tower and in the woods stood up the whole time during the fight it was just silly, yet the driver of a somewhat armoured car gets plucked, just seems too plot driven on when people are good shots. Was expecting them to do more than just fortify an overpass deep in the jail.

So many minor annoying things, what happened to their car to blockade the outer gates (one of their only real outer defenses other than not manning towers), with Rick wondering and Glenn shouting orders they still felt it was ok to slack on watch duty when they know danger is supposed to be coming? Herschel allows Rick to go back out on walkabout even though he admits he knows he's not full on nuts and knows it's all visions, didn't think to remind him of two kids he might want to protect from a vengeful town to try and snap him out of it? Maggie and Glenn drama seemed a bit forced, why was she mad and pushed Glenn away when they finally try to work out the issues. She would rather Glenn just chill out and do nothing emotionally or physically to get over his end of the trauma, remember he was tortured too. Also didn't like that they almost imply that the yard is too dangerous now with two dozen walkers that Michonne can clear up in a few minutes and reseal. The trojan truck driver gets away in the open, Michonne like the rest just froze up.

Action rant aside, was almost a filler episode feel unless it was meant to coincide to what the governor was doing, just a recon or testing of the defenses even though it was full on cocky considering what he saw at the night raid. Hope it was a lull before the storm episode to contrast more chaos later.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Was that sheriff's bag that the governor had the sheriff bag that Rick had from season 1 or did he take the bag with him when he left the city and got back to camp?
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Yeah that was the same bag Rick had. I think Daryl had it when he was captured.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Admiral Drason
Jedi Knight

Post by Admiral Drason »

Andrea had the bag since the end of season 2. The governor took it from her when she and Michonne were brought to Woodbury.
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn
So Say We All
Night Stalkers Don't Quit
HAB member
RIP Pegasus. You died like you lived, killing toasters
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Does anyone else think that Merle's characterization is kind of at odds with his racism? I mean, I know people can compartmentalize and believe stupid crap while being smart in other areas, but Merle comes off as a bright guy, both in terms of practical skills and socially. Seems strange that he'd actually believe that sort of thing rather then just using it as a way to piss others off. Which granted maybe he was, but you'd think he'd have dropped it by now if that was all it was.
Meest wrote:Maggie and Glenn drama seemed a bit forced, why was she mad and pushed Glenn away when they finally try to work out the issues. She would rather Glenn just chill out and do nothing emotionally or physically to get over his end of the trauma, remember he was tortured too
Just my speculation, not being a woman and all? I think the idea is that Glenn was hyper-focused on whether she was violated sexually, with the implication that the actual trauma and humiliation that she did go through was somehow not so bad by comparison. Which is the last thing you should even hint at under the circumstances.

Remember, the first thing he asked was "Did he...?" Not "Are you okay?"
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Ralin wrote:Does anyone else think that Merle's characterization is kind of at odds with his racism? I mean, I know people can compartmentalize and believe stupid crap while being smart in other areas, but Merle comes off as a bright guy, both in terms of practical skills and socially. Seems strange that he'd actually believe that sort of thing rather then just using it as a way to piss others off. Which granted maybe he was, but you'd think he'd have dropped it by now if that was all it was.
Merle is not a bright guy. He's cunning, in the way a rattlesnake or any other predator is. Nothing about that prevents you from being racist. Nothing he learned had to have been learned in a situation that would weed out racism.
Meest wrote:Maggie and Glenn drama seemed a bit forced, why was she mad and pushed Glenn away when they finally try to work out the issues. She would rather Glenn just chill out and do nothing emotionally or physically to get over his end of the trauma, remember he was tortured too
Just my speculation, not being a woman and all? I think the idea is that Glenn was hyper-focused on whether she was violated sexually, with the implication that the actual trauma and humiliation that she did go through was somehow not so bad by comparison. Which is the last thing you should even hint at under the circumstances.

Remember, the first thing he asked was "Did he...?" Not "Are you okay?"
Yeah, it was his complete focus on the rape that was the issue.He almost turned it into a macho thing, his girl got raped, he had to go and avenge her. He didn't seem to have much comfort to give either, he fixated on that one thing.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Yeah, it was his complete focus on the rape that was the issue.He almost turned it into a macho thing, his girl got raped, he had to go and avenge her. He didn't seem to have much comfort to give either, he fixated on that one thing.
It makes the governor much more insidious as well, because he set up the whole situation so there was no other conclusion Glenn can draw, and is assuming Maggie is in denial or lying to him, which pisses her off, all it does is add more tension to an already pretty fractured group. Guy is good at mind games.

As for the assault, the way it played out makes sense if you assume the Governor is just probing to find out what he is dealing with. It happened at the worst possible time for the defenders, even assuming they were all mentally stable. One of their main combatants is isolated outside the fence, the other is on the other side of the building, and the third is inside feeding a baby. Everyone else is either a child or essentially a non combatant except Michonne(spelling?) and maybe Herschel, he is exposed miles from any cover and she is on the gate, which is fair enough but its a really bad position because its isolated from the rest of the prison and relatively exposed. It takes Maggie a minute tops to sort out the baby, get outside and arm Beth, and she is the only one to tag one of their attackers, so I don't think its a women can't defend themselves without men thing, not that that didn't seem to be a major point of season 2 for some reason.

Frankly I think it's a setup so the Woodberry guys leave them for a few days to hope the walkers sort them out, and when they fall back to the cell complex roll in massively overconfident and get their arses handed to them so it plays out into the Gov trying to leverage Andrea as a hostage. The prison simply can't play out like is apparently does in the comics because there simply aren't enough cast members at this point to have an appreciable number of casualties even if the other group come back to help out, and I don't really see the show becoming about Rick wondering around the countryside with a group of people turning over every few months because frankly that's not a story. I'd even go so far as to say the comics aren't a good guide as to what happens from here because the cast is too limited to support it.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

So, no one commenting about the return of a certain benefactor?
aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Post by aieeegrunt »

Jesus Christ Rick fucking sucks and needs to step (or be put) down.
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

aieeegrunt wrote:Jesus Christ Rick fucking sucks and needs to step (or be put) down.
Don't suppose you'd care to elaborate?
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Ya, kinda seems like this episode was a change from Rick's zombie walkabout behavior.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Yeah, that was the least obnoxious Rick.has been in a long time.

I like how even though he's dead the show still plays off the difference between Rick and Shane as well.

And Andrea.I seem to be the only one that likes her but her efforts to try and be somewhat reasonable in a room full of lunatics make herseem like the last decent person on the planet sometimes.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Alkaloid wrote:I like how even though he's dead the show still plays off the difference between Rick and Shane as well.
Could you elaborate on that?
And Andrea.I seem to be the only one that likes her but her efforts to try and be somewhat reasonable in a room full of lunatics make herseem like the last decent person on the planet sometimes.
"How dare you betray me by deciding you'd rather stay behind in a secure, comfortable community with nice people who have done us no wrong and offered us medical care, a place to sleep and supplies instead of coming back into the zombie-infested wilderness with me?!"
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Could you elaborate on that?
Shane would have handed over Michonne (Seriously, spelling? I have no idea) on the spot. The real difference between Rick and Shane as leaders is that Rick always tried to do the best for everyone in the group, even if that sometimes meant taking a greater risk to save some of the group, whereas to Shane the individuals in the group were expendable providing the group survived. Except Shane, of course he wouldn't be expendable, as he was the leader. Maybe Laurie, although if push came to shove I think he'd ditch her as well. Point is Shane never really considered the group to be anything important, to him it was people to do what he said, let him put his dick in them and stand between him and zombies. Rick saw them as people with individual value, who could do things for him but who were also integral to the group actually being a group, and that being in the group was important to leading it.

The result was that approximately 30 seconds after meeting these people Rick had taken over as leader from 'hard decisions' Shane, because Rick actually made hard decisions, where as Shane always took the easy way out. And even 9 months later, harder, meaner and more than half mad from grief, Rick is still going to make the same hard decisions because he is still a better leader and a better man than Shane was. Helped along by the fact that he had a pretty good read on the Governor and doesn't trust him one bit.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:So, no one commenting about the return of a certain benefactor?
?
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage