Lets talk about the Iphone 5

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

User avatar
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
Posts: 5747
Joined: 2004-02-26 09:44pm
Location: Versace Versace Medusa head on me like I'm 'luminati

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Phantasee » 2012-09-26 02:05pm

When Google gets a maps app into the App Store nobody wil give a shit about iOS Maps.

My biggest issue is how out of date the material they're starting with is.

My alma mater was known as Grant MacEwan Community College from its founding, until 1999. It dropped Community from the name then. In 2009, it became a full university, and has been known as Grant MacEwan University, or just MacEwan University, since. iOS maps listed the city centre campus as Grant MacEwan Community College–City Centre Campus.

That's not an easy mistake to make.

All the rest, about poor imagery, that's something Google has fucked up regularly too. The most current satellite images of Edmonton have clouds over a quarter of the city and shitty angled photos that show everything from the north west face in really dark images that barely show any detail.

The fucked up 3D is one of those things that takes ages to fix, and Googke Earth still isn't perfect on that.

But place names, details on the actual maps themselves? That's inexcusable.
XXV

User avatar
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1997
Joined: 2005-12-19 09:34pm
Location: Florida

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby chitoryu12 » 2012-09-29 04:13pm

Just gives me one more reason to skip updating as much as I can.

User avatar
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
Posts: 5747
Joined: 2004-02-26 09:44pm
Location: Versace Versace Medusa head on me like I'm 'luminati

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Phantasee » 2012-09-30 03:18pm

What other reasons are there? As far as I can recall this is only the second time they really fucked up, and the first was letting the 3G update to iOS 4. Even that wasn't as big a problem because the 3Gs were hella old by that point anyway, and 3GS runs better on iOS 6 than 5.

So yeah this is kinda unprecedented, and it's not a permanent problem.
XXV

User avatar
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
Posts: 22244
Joined: 2002-07-03 06:16pm
Location: New York, the Fuck You State
Contact:

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Dalton » 2012-10-01 12:27pm

You can still use Google Maps through Safari, complete with GPS positioning.
Image
Image
To Absent Friends
Rob Dalton | Admin Smash | SG-14: Gotta Blow Something Up | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

User avatar
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator
Posts: 6119
Joined: 2002-08-26 06:54pm
Location: Munich, Germany

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Colonel Olrik » 2012-10-01 04:47pm

But there's currently no way to access google street view, something that annoys me immensely as I used it a lot with the iPad. Or to stream full screen YouTube video to the TV using the quite expensive converter apple sold for the iPad 3 a few months ago. But hey, now I have Siri. What an upgrade :roll:

My next phone will (still) run android.

User avatar
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
Posts: 5747
Joined: 2004-02-26 09:44pm
Location: Versace Versace Medusa head on me like I'm 'luminati

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Phantasee » 2012-10-02 02:47am

Yeah. And the mobile version doesn't work very well on 3GS, constantly reloads the entire page when switching between any other app and safari.
XXV

User avatar
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine
Posts: 9683
Joined: 2002-11-19 04:40pm
Location: Belfast, unfortunately
Contact:

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Lord Pounder » 2012-10-03 04:07pm

My iPhone 3G, no bloody S, is now nearly 4 years old so I think it's time for a change. I was surprised the 3GS wasn't dropped from support as happened a year ago with the 3G.

I was considering stripping my 3G and using it purely as a phone and buying a tablet, most likely a Kindle Fire, but now I'm not so sure. The Apple Fanboy in me demands a 5 and I'm gonna get one by hook or crook.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten

User avatar
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
Posts: 22244
Joined: 2002-07-03 06:16pm
Location: New York, the Fuck You State
Contact:

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Dalton » 2012-10-03 08:20pm

I think you can upgrade to a 4 now for just the activation fee...to me, the 5 is well worth it if you like Apple products.

I do like my Kindle Fire, but the GUI is a bit of a mess and the web browser sucks.
Image
Image
To Absent Friends
Rob Dalton | Admin Smash | SG-14: Gotta Blow Something Up | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

User avatar
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2392
Joined: 2006-09-19 03:12pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Singular Intellect » 2012-10-04 09:58pm

I was forced to upgrade to a Samsung S3 when my Motorola Atrix went funky on me. 'Forced' in the sense I wanted to wait a little longer and get an even better upgrade.

Reading the iPhone 5 specs left me extremely unimpressed, and I can't help but laugh on the multiple issues Apple is producing for their customers right now (maps, 4 & 4S batteries dying with iOS upgrade, etc).

I have an increasingly dim view of Apple products as overpriced, dumbed down technology gadgets. This wouldn't really be the case, except for the ongoing Apple fan club insisting their pet franchaise is god's gift to technology and absurdly laughable claims like the iPhone 5 is the new standard in smartphone design/capabilities.
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote

User avatar
phongn
Rebel Leader
Posts: 18478
Joined: 2002-07-03 11:11pm
Location: San Jose, CA
Contact:

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby phongn » 2012-10-05 12:44am

Singular Intellect wrote:Reading the iPhone 5 specs left me extremely unimpressed

Any particular specification on the iPhone 5 you find unimpressive?
HAB | Rei Likes Pie | Vote Kynes! | SDN Senator | ASVS Great Old One c/o '98 | SB First One

User avatar
xthetenth
Jedi Master
Posts: 1191
Joined: 2010-02-20 12:45am

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby xthetenth » 2012-10-05 08:08pm

Does anybody else find Safari's reaction to losing connection while loading changing from displaying what it's got (which is often nearly all the content minus an image or two) to a full screen about how it lost connection absolutely infuriating? My dorm has a terribly spotty connection and this has been driving me up the wall watching pages load nearly all the way and then getting replaced by a damn screen about how my phone lost signal.

User avatar
Stark
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 36169
Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Stark » 2012-10-05 08:22pm

xthetenth wrote:Does anybody else find Safari's reaction to losing connection while loading changing from displaying what it's got (which is often nearly all the content minus an image or two) to a full screen about how it lost connection absolutely infuriating? My dorm has a terribly spotty connection and this has been driving me up the wall watching pages load nearly all the way and then getting replaced by a damn screen about how my phone lost signal.


I generally only see the 'cannot create secure connection' thing, but its pretty annoying. Many browsers on all platforms do the same thing, though; even a hardline desktop will give you a huge BBS.STARDESTROYER.NET CANNOT BE FOUND OH NOEZ message if you refresh at the backup time.

This wouldn't really be the case, except for the ongoing Apple fan club insisting their pet franchaise is god's gift to technology and absurdly laughable claims...


The best thing about this is that literally the only people around me who say things like this are Android owners. Even pulling out an iPhone at work is opening yourself up to being shanghai'd by any nearby Android enthusiast and required to listen to their endless rants about how Android software/products/etc are 'just... better! Buy one'. Its remarkable to me that in the Apple/Google thing, people can hate one 'side' or 'tribe' for doing exactly what they themselves do - and due to the huge disparity in numbers, far more loudly. Its particularly amusing for me because it only gets louder as Android matures as a platform, where I'd expect the natural insecurity to fade with success.

The world may be doomed, not to a mythical horde of 3% of the market being 'hipsters', but to the vast majority of the market being insecure and constantly needing to justify their purchase - which, again, is deeply amusing given the general bigotry towards Apple 'fans' for doing the same thing. :lol:

User avatar
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
Posts: 5747
Joined: 2004-02-26 09:44pm
Location: Versace Versace Medusa head on me like I'm 'luminati

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Phantasee » 2012-10-06 01:37am

I mentioned to a friend that I'm expecting my iPhone 5 in a month. Random Android user standing near us has to pipe up "should have got an S3! It's got everything the iPhone has, and does it better."

I was like, "Do you work for Samsung marketing?" Also said, "Go fuck yourself." Seriously, what the fuck makes someone think it's okay to question my purchasing decisions? How the fuck does it affect your life?

This is a thread about the iPhone 5, not about your hard life with Android phones, Bubble Boy.

Fucking Calgarians....
XXV

User avatar
xthetenth
Jedi Master
Posts: 1191
Joined: 2010-02-20 12:45am

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby xthetenth » 2012-10-07 12:28am

Stark wrote:
xthetenth wrote:Does anybody else find Safari's reaction to losing connection while loading changing from displaying what it's got (which is often nearly all the content minus an image or two) to a full screen about how it lost connection absolutely infuriating? My dorm has a terribly spotty connection and this has been driving me up the wall watching pages load nearly all the way and then getting replaced by a damn screen about how my phone lost signal.


I generally only see the 'cannot create secure connection' thing, but its pretty annoying. Many browsers on all platforms do the same thing, though; even a hardline desktop will give you a huge BBS.STARDESTROYER.NET CANNOT BE FOUND OH NOEZ message if you refresh at the backup time.


My problem is that it used to just show what it had and that it's a phone, not a desktop/laptop that can be reasonably be expected to be on a steady connection. Changes for the worse are annoying as hell.

User avatar
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine
Posts: 9683
Joined: 2002-11-19 04:40pm
Location: Belfast, unfortunately
Contact:

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Lord Pounder » 2012-10-07 03:28pm

Phantasee wrote:I mentioned to a friend that I'm expecting my iPhone 5 in a month. Random Android user standing near us has to pipe up "should have got an S3! It's got everything the iPhone has, and does it better."

I was like, "Do you work for Samsung marketing?" Also said, "Go fuck yourself." Seriously, what the fuck makes someone think it's okay to question my purchasing decisions? How the fuck does it affect your life?

This is a thread about the iPhone 5, not about your hard life with Android phones, Bubble Boy.

Fucking Calgarians....


Yeah as annoying as Apple fanboys can be Samsung fanboys are positively militant. My partner used to joke that you know someone has an iPhone because they tell you, now you know a Samsung owner because they tell you for half an hour how superior their phone is to an iPhone. The internet is ripe with them.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten

User avatar
Stark
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 36169
Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Stark » 2012-10-07 05:55pm

And y'know the S3 is a good device. But, a Civic is a good car, and mentioning any type of car shouldn't cue Civic owners to bang on about how their car is the best/better/whatever. And because Cuvics are much more common tha SLKs, the Civic guys are far more common and irritating.

I've briefly used a 5 now and while I'd upgrade to replace my dinosaur phone it doesn't really seem to have any hook as a product. The screen ratio is an improvement and it looks good, but it's pretty iterative. And HTC and Samsung iterate so much faster they've arguably caugh up in most ways, so you'd think Apple would have something a bit more impressive to regain that premium position.

User avatar
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
Posts: 22244
Joined: 2002-07-03 06:16pm
Location: New York, the Fuck You State
Contact:

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Dalton » 2012-10-08 12:28pm

A buddy of mine is an obnoxious S3 convert; he got miffed at the cost of the Dock/Lightning adapters and immediately returned his 5. Now he's busy being an Android fanboy all over Facebook and I kinda want to block him. It's as bad as fans of opposing sportsball teams. I'm like, listen, dude, I don't give a fuck if your S3 is omg amazeballs; I'm happy with my 5, so kindly go fuck yourself.
Image
Image
To Absent Friends
Rob Dalton | Admin Smash | SG-14: Gotta Blow Something Up | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

User avatar
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
Posts: 5747
Joined: 2004-02-26 09:44pm
Location: Versace Versace Medusa head on me like I'm 'luminati

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Phantasee » 2012-10-08 05:46pm

But Stark the Civic is an excellent car. Like seriously how much does an oil change cost for any Mercedes, not even an SLK? My last change was $11. I did it myself and got the oil on sale, $1.09/L. Dealership only charges $45, still a bargain.
XXV

User avatar
Stark
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 36169
Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Stark » 2012-10-08 05:48pm

Sorry, I have to buy all my oil from the Mercedes store at a significant markup! I am certainly a fool and will immediately sell my car.

User avatar
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Posts: 10382
Joined: 2005-06-09 09:56pm
Location: GOD OF A SHRINKING UNIVERSE

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Flagg » 2012-10-08 05:49pm

Dalton wrote:A buddy of mine is an obnoxious S3 convert; he got miffed at the cost of the Dock/Lightning adapters and immediately returned his 5. Now he's busy being an Android fanboy all over Facebook and I kinda want to block him. It's as bad as fans of opposing sportsball teams. I'm like, listen, dude, I don't give a fuck if your S3 is omg amazeballs; I'm happy with my 5, so kindly go fuck yourself.

Just block them, dude. I blocked like 3 people for telling me Boondock Saints is a great movie, though. Maybe my standards are too high. :lol:
ImageImage
If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.
-Darth Nostril on Conspiracy Nuts

User avatar
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
Posts: 22244
Joined: 2002-07-03 06:16pm
Location: New York, the Fuck You State
Contact:

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Dalton » 2012-10-08 06:12pm

Flagg wrote:
Dalton wrote:A buddy of mine is an obnoxious S3 convert; he got miffed at the cost of the Dock/Lightning adapters and immediately returned his 5. Now he's busy being an Android fanboy all over Facebook and I kinda want to block him. It's as bad as fans of opposing sportsball teams. I'm like, listen, dude, I don't give a fuck if your S3 is omg amazeballs; I'm happy with my 5, so kindly go fuck yourself.

Just block them, dude. I blocked like 3 people for telling me Boondock Saints is a great movie, though. Maybe my standards are too high. :lol:

Nah, he's an old friend from work and I enjoy the occasional sparring match. He's just a little too passionate sometimes.
Image
Image
To Absent Friends
Rob Dalton | Admin Smash | SG-14: Gotta Blow Something Up | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

User avatar
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2270
Joined: 2011-08-26 03:53pm
Location: Bridge of Battleship SDFS Missouri

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Skywalker_T-65 » 2012-10-08 06:51pm

I've got a 4S and I'm perfectly fine with it. I don't see any reason why I should brag or go all 'OMG FANBOYISM' over it.

Then again, I upgraded from an old flip-Razor, so my standards aren't that high. :lol:
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE

User avatar
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader
Posts: 13937
Joined: 2002-08-18 07:27pm
Location: YHM

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby aerius » 2012-10-08 07:26pm

Lord Pounder wrote:Yeah as annoying as Apple fanboys can be Samsung fanboys are positively militant. My partner used to joke that you know someone has an iPhone because they tell you, now you know a Samsung owner because they tell you for half an hour how superior their phone is to an iPhone. The internet is ripe with them.


Tell me about it. I work for a tech company and phones are goddamn status symbols for everyone under 40.
The endless bickering on which phone rules is giving me a fucking headache. I'm getting to the point where the next person who interrupts my work to show me how awesome their phone is and why I should have one will get his phone tossed into the heavy machinery.
Image
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P

User avatar
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
Posts: 5747
Joined: 2004-02-26 09:44pm
Location: Versace Versace Medusa head on me like I'm 'luminati

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Phantasee » 2012-10-09 12:43am

Stark wrote:Sorry, I have to buy all my oil from the Mercedes store at a significant markup! I am certainly a fool and will immediately sell my car.

:lol:
XXV

User avatar
Irbis
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2262
Joined: 2011-07-15 05:31pm

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Postby Irbis » 2012-10-09 05:40am

But we're talking Made in China Mercedes here, just to be sure? :lol:

Anyay, Apple IMHO opened itself wide to attracting Samsung fanboy types with that frivolous lawsuit. I mean, that case polarized cell phone users and gave a lot of people reason to care about their brand choice, reason that wasn't there before when Samsung was seen as pretty generic brand.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests