Lets talk about the Iphone 5

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Re: Lets talk about the Iphone 5

Post by Phantasee »

When Google gets a maps app into the App Store nobody wil give a shit about iOS Maps.

My biggest issue is how out of date the material they're starting with is.

My alma mater was known as Grant MacEwan Community College from its founding, until 1999. It dropped Community from the name then. In 2009, it became a full university, and has been known as Grant MacEwan University, or just MacEwan University, since. iOS maps listed the city centre campus as Grant MacEwan Community College–City Centre Campus.

That's not an easy mistake to make.

All the rest, about poor imagery, that's something Google has fucked up regularly too. The most current satellite images of Edmonton have clouds over a quarter of the city and shitty angled photos that show everything from the north west face in really dark images that barely show any detail.

The fucked up 3D is one of those things that takes ages to fix, and Googke Earth still isn't perfect on that.

But place names, details on the actual maps themselves? That's inexcusable.
XXXI
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

Just gives me one more reason to skip updating as much as I can.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

What other reasons are there? As far as I can recall this is only the second time they really fucked up, and the first was letting the 3G update to iOS 4. Even that wasn't as big a problem because the 3Gs were hella old by that point anyway, and 3GS runs better on iOS 6 than 5.

So yeah this is kinda unprecedented, and it's not a permanent problem.
XXXI
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

You can still use Google Maps through Safari, complete with GPS positioning.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

But there's currently no way to access google street view, something that annoys me immensely as I used it a lot with the iPad. Or to stream full screen YouTube video to the TV using the quite expensive converter apple sold for the iPad 3 a few months ago. But hey, now I have Siri. What an upgrade :roll:

My next phone will (still) run android.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Yeah. And the mobile version doesn't work very well on 3GS, constantly reloads the entire page when switching between any other app and safari.
XXXI
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

My iPhone 3G, no bloody S, is now nearly 4 years old so I think it's time for a change. I was surprised the 3GS wasn't dropped from support as happened a year ago with the 3G.

I was considering stripping my 3G and using it purely as a phone and buying a tablet, most likely a Kindle Fire, but now I'm not so sure. The Apple Fanboy in me demands a 5 and I'm gonna get one by hook or crook.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

I think you can upgrade to a 4 now for just the activation fee...to me, the 5 is well worth it if you like Apple products.

I do like my Kindle Fire, but the GUI is a bit of a mess and the web browser sucks.
To Absent Friends

Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

I was forced to upgrade to a Samsung S3 when my Motorola Atrix went funky on me. 'Forced' in the sense I wanted to wait a little longer and get an even better upgrade.

Reading the iPhone 5 specs left me extremely unimpressed, and I can't help but laugh on the multiple issues Apple is producing for their customers right now (maps, 4 & 4S batteries dying with iOS upgrade, etc).

I have an increasingly dim view of Apple products as overpriced, dumbed down technology gadgets. This wouldn't really be the case, except for the ongoing Apple fan club insisting their pet franchaise is god's gift to technology and absurdly laughable claims like the iPhone 5 is the new standard in smartphone design/capabilities.
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Singular Intellect wrote:Reading the iPhone 5 specs left me extremely unimpressed
Any particular specification on the iPhone 5 you find unimpressive?
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Does anybody else find Safari's reaction to losing connection while loading changing from displaying what it's got (which is often nearly all the content minus an image or two) to a full screen about how it lost connection absolutely infuriating? My dorm has a terribly spotty connection and this has been driving me up the wall watching pages load nearly all the way and then getting replaced by a damn screen about how my phone lost signal.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

xthetenth wrote:Does anybody else find Safari's reaction to losing connection while loading changing from displaying what it's got (which is often nearly all the content minus an image or two) to a full screen about how it lost connection absolutely infuriating? My dorm has a terribly spotty connection and this has been driving me up the wall watching pages load nearly all the way and then getting replaced by a damn screen about how my phone lost signal.
I generally only see the 'cannot create secure connection' thing, but its pretty annoying. Many browsers on all platforms do the same thing, though; even a hardline desktop will give you a huge BBS.STARDESTROYER.NET CANNOT BE FOUND OH NOEZ message if you refresh at the backup time.
This wouldn't really be the case, except for the ongoing Apple fan club insisting their pet franchaise is god's gift to technology and absurdly laughable claims...
The best thing about this is that literally the only people around me who say things like this are Android owners. Even pulling out an iPhone at work is opening yourself up to being shanghai'd by any nearby Android enthusiast and required to listen to their endless rants about how Android software/products/etc are 'just... better! Buy one'. Its remarkable to me that in the Apple/Google thing, people can hate one 'side' or 'tribe' for doing exactly what they themselves do - and due to the huge disparity in numbers, far more loudly. Its particularly amusing for me because it only gets louder as Android matures as a platform, where I'd expect the natural insecurity to fade with success.

The world may be doomed, not to a mythical horde of 3% of the market being 'hipsters', but to the vast majority of the market being insecure and constantly needing to justify their purchase - which, again, is deeply amusing given the general bigotry towards Apple 'fans' for doing the same thing. :lol:
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

I mentioned to a friend that I'm expecting my iPhone 5 in a month. Random Android user standing near us has to pipe up "should have got an S3! It's got everything the iPhone has, and does it better."

I was like, "Do you work for Samsung marketing?" Also said, "Go fuck yourself." Seriously, what the fuck makes someone think it's okay to question my purchasing decisions? How the fuck does it affect your life?

This is a thread about the iPhone 5, not about your hard life with Android phones, Bubble Boy.

Fucking Calgarians....
XXXI
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Stark wrote:
xthetenth wrote:Does anybody else find Safari's reaction to losing connection while loading changing from displaying what it's got (which is often nearly all the content minus an image or two) to a full screen about how it lost connection absolutely infuriating? My dorm has a terribly spotty connection and this has been driving me up the wall watching pages load nearly all the way and then getting replaced by a damn screen about how my phone lost signal.
I generally only see the 'cannot create secure connection' thing, but its pretty annoying. Many browsers on all platforms do the same thing, though; even a hardline desktop will give you a huge BBS.STARDESTROYER.NET CANNOT BE FOUND OH NOEZ message if you refresh at the backup time.
My problem is that it used to just show what it had and that it's a phone, not a desktop/laptop that can be reasonably be expected to be on a steady connection. Changes for the worse are annoying as hell.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Phantasee wrote:I mentioned to a friend that I'm expecting my iPhone 5 in a month. Random Android user standing near us has to pipe up "should have got an S3! It's got everything the iPhone has, and does it better."

I was like, "Do you work for Samsung marketing?" Also said, "Go fuck yourself." Seriously, what the fuck makes someone think it's okay to question my purchasing decisions? How the fuck does it affect your life?

This is a thread about the iPhone 5, not about your hard life with Android phones, Bubble Boy.

Fucking Calgarians....
Yeah as annoying as Apple fanboys can be Samsung fanboys are positively militant. My partner used to joke that you know someone has an iPhone because they tell you, now you know a Samsung owner because they tell you for half an hour how superior their phone is to an iPhone. The internet is ripe with them.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

And y'know the S3 is a good device. But, a Civic is a good car, and mentioning any type of car shouldn't cue Civic owners to bang on about how their car is the best/better/whatever. And because Cuvics are much more common tha SLKs, the Civic guys are far more common and irritating.

I've briefly used a 5 now and while I'd upgrade to replace my dinosaur phone it doesn't really seem to have any hook as a product. The screen ratio is an improvement and it looks good, but it's pretty iterative. And HTC and Samsung iterate so much faster they've arguably caugh up in most ways, so you'd think Apple would have something a bit more impressive to regain that premium position.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

A buddy of mine is an obnoxious S3 convert; he got miffed at the cost of the Dock/Lightning adapters and immediately returned his 5. Now he's busy being an Android fanboy all over Facebook and I kinda want to block him. It's as bad as fans of opposing sportsball teams. I'm like, listen, dude, I don't give a fuck if your S3 is omg amazeballs; I'm happy with my 5, so kindly go fuck yourself.
To Absent Friends

Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

But Stark the Civic is an excellent car. Like seriously how much does an oil change cost for any Mercedes, not even an SLK? My last change was $11. I did it myself and got the oil on sale, $1.09/L. Dealership only charges $45, still a bargain.
XXXI
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Sorry, I have to buy all my oil from the Mercedes store at a significant markup! I am certainly a fool and will immediately sell my car.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Dalton wrote:A buddy of mine is an obnoxious S3 convert; he got miffed at the cost of the Dock/Lightning adapters and immediately returned his 5. Now he's busy being an Android fanboy all over Facebook and I kinda want to block him. It's as bad as fans of opposing sportsball teams. I'm like, listen, dude, I don't give a fuck if your S3 is omg amazeballs; I'm happy with my 5, so kindly go fuck yourself.
Just block them, dude. I blocked like 3 people for telling me Boondock Saints is a great movie, though. Maybe my standards are too high. :lol:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Flagg wrote:
Dalton wrote:A buddy of mine is an obnoxious S3 convert; he got miffed at the cost of the Dock/Lightning adapters and immediately returned his 5. Now he's busy being an Android fanboy all over Facebook and I kinda want to block him. It's as bad as fans of opposing sportsball teams. I'm like, listen, dude, I don't give a fuck if your S3 is omg amazeballs; I'm happy with my 5, so kindly go fuck yourself.
Just block them, dude. I blocked like 3 people for telling me Boondock Saints is a great movie, though. Maybe my standards are too high. :lol:
Nah, he's an old friend from work and I enjoy the occasional sparring match. He's just a little too passionate sometimes.
To Absent Friends

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I've got a 4S and I'm perfectly fine with it. I don't see any reason why I should brag or go all 'OMG FANBOYISM' over it.

Then again, I upgraded from an old flip-Razor, so my standards aren't that high. :lol:
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Lord Pounder wrote:Yeah as annoying as Apple fanboys can be Samsung fanboys are positively militant. My partner used to joke that you know someone has an iPhone because they tell you, now you know a Samsung owner because they tell you for half an hour how superior their phone is to an iPhone. The internet is ripe with them.
Tell me about it. I work for a tech company and phones are goddamn status symbols for everyone under 40.
The endless bickering on which phone rules is giving me a fucking headache. I'm getting to the point where the next person who interrupts my work to show me how awesome their phone is and why I should have one will get his phone tossed into the heavy machinery.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Stark wrote:Sorry, I have to buy all my oil from the Mercedes store at a significant markup! I am certainly a fool and will immediately sell my car.
:lol:
XXXI
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

But we're talking Made in China Mercedes here, just to be sure? :lol:

Anyay, Apple IMHO opened itself wide to attracting Samsung fanboy types with that frivolous lawsuit. I mean, that case polarized cell phone users and gave a lot of people reason to care about their brand choice, reason that wasn't there before when Samsung was seen as pretty generic brand.