What Are You Reading Right Now 2.0

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now 2.0

Post by Terralthra »

Just finished off the Black Company series by Glen Cook. Had some up books and down books, but I really enjoyed the series as a whole.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Recently finished Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs, and Steel". I found it a very good read, as it offers us a surprisingly simple yet compelling alternative alternative to cultural or racist arguments found in history. I'm sure that the theory will need revising and some altering before it becomes more accepted among academics (particularly how myth-biased history tends to be, at least as far as I can tell).

EDIT: Oh, and I must put out that both the book and Diamond's theory has limitations. The biggest one, and I don't think the author realizes this, is that his theory works most straight-forwardly with pre-industrial civilizations. It is not quite applicable on histories that involve industrialized states or nation-states and the book does not involve itself to that point.

One of the criticism's was that Diamond ignores cultural influences entirely and that the title should be "Guns, Germs, Steel and Coca-Cola". The critism's argument as I present it (because this is as much as I can recall) is false because Diamond never says why the United States is the world's dominant superpower (that the author overvalues capitalism is another matter). In fact, Diamond's theory of environmental-limitations greatly influences human history only on a large-scale. It concludes why European countries became the wealthiest, but does not tell which[/] ones do. Those would require a more in-dept and traditional approach, one where cultural influences are much more dominant.

Also, another criticism I can find is that Diamond entirely ignores cultural influences. Diamond doesn't ignore it, in fact, IIRC he explains that this is why the Zulus became so dominant. Diamond doesn't entirely ignore cultural influences, he merely limits its influence to a level that isn't the focus of his theory.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

After finishing Gore Vidal's Julian I'm now on his Creation. In broad strokes it's similar: from the perspective of the losers (this time the Persians),,court intrigues and the protagonist being pushed towards the priesthood, narration with frequent breaks and seeming non-sequiturs in the story and a healthy dose of discussion of religious issues.

It's pretty good as it stands, it has all these little details about various civilizations that just gives it an extra bit of flavor, the fact that these are not divorced from the opinion of the narrator makes them funnier.

I do have the same problem I had with Julian though, it's depressing. Reading a foregone conclusion can be fun at times, but there's a sense of tragedy around the whole thing simply because it's not in the moment, it's the narrator working backwards and he can't help but ruminate on opportunities lost and chances missed

It's a great work, but when he mentions the Greek Wars or flaws in Xerxes' character a certain malaise falls over me and I find it difficult to read on.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I'm in the middle of Arthur Swinson's "The Great Air Race" about the 1934 MacPherson Robertson London to Melbourne race. An at times lacking and at times very detailed book about a topic that seems both archaic and fantastic from our modern viewpoint.

I remember watching a tv miniseries about the race as a kid and was recently at the Melbourne Museum and saw a little display about it. This was THE ONLY book on the topic I could find while googling, there's a few more, but they're more general looks at air racing. And it turns out that my local library had it. I really love my local library.
nocte lupus
Redshirt

Post by nocte lupus »

Right now I'm getting to read chicken soup for the autism parents soul
nocte lupus
Redshirt

Post by nocte lupus »

I really want to read Carly's voice too! I think the last fantasy book I read was the hobbit and The Lord of the rings.
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

I am currently reading "The Good Soldier Švejk" by Jaroslav Hašek and enjoying it.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Just finished "Silentium" by Greg Bear (3d book in the Forerunner trilogy).
Man, I dislike that man's writing. How he got so popular I have no fucking clue. (I've tried some of his other/Xeelee, etc' books. Even worse). Lame series, which is a shame, since I Love the "mythology of ancient alien races thing. Crappy :(

"Naked Statistics" by Charles Wheelan is awesome at least :). (I read his "Naked Economics" years back. It was the one of the first Popular economics book I remember reading after Milton Friedman andsome publications by Penguin and The Economist )
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman and boy was that a bizarre book.
Last edited by Crazedwraith on 2013-05-18 12:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'm finally finishing up Nate Silver's The Signal in the Noise. It's really good, although occasionally a bit dry (the guy loves his baseball and poker statistics).

I've got Ghost Map (about a disease outbreak in London in the 19th century), Free to Choose by Milton Friedman for a class, and the unabridged audiobook of World War Z next (which is awesome).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Crazedwraith wrote:just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman and boy was that a bizarre book.
I liked the idea of old mythology vs. new mythology and the twist that Gaiman seeds early on.

Favorite part remains this exchange:
Shadow: Hey, Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are. Say 'Nevermore'.

Raven: Fuck you.
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Rusakov wrote:I am currently reading "The Good Soldier Švejk" by Jaroslav Hašek and enjoying it.
You can't go wrong with a classic like that one ;)
Currently reading Roger Zelazny's "Prince of Chaos".
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

"Naked Statistics" by Charles Wheelan - Really good book (though waaay to simple for me after 2+ years of statistics courses). His "Naked Economics"book is one of my favourite "popular economics" books (one of the first I read actually).

"Ünnatural creatures anthology" (Edited by Neil Gaiman) - cute, but i've already read the good stories ages ago :(.

"The World Until Yesterday: What Can We Learn from Traditional Societies?" Jared Diamond . Interesting (going over it slowly as an audiobook), but it's definetly a "popular" book, it's not like his other writings. Some nice vignets, though mostly about as scientifically valid as a wet paper bag.
("Hey, all through the entire book lets ignore another difference between small scale societies and cities of millions - namely the difference between the fucking size of the group! " ).
Definitely worth reading, the bits about treatment of the elderly and child rearing are nice to think about for a bit. Popcorn like.

Recently finished "Johannes Cabal the Necromancer: The Fear Institute".
HIGHLY Recommended - funny as hell, and better than the first 2 books. (Each of which were also good, with the second also improving over the first. All can be read as pure standalones).
(I have all the "The young person's guide to Cthulhu and his friends" entries marked on my Kindle :D)

I want to start "Throne of the Crescent Moon" after I finish all the prior to their ends. 2 Chapters in, and it seems potentially fun.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

"The Enchantress of Florence," by Salman Rushdie. It's pretty rad.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Hilan
Redshirt

Post by Hilan »

I am reading a unique love story series of Vampires, i hope the book lovers recognize the book quickly. If you guys not know than i tell you that i am reading famous Hollywood movie series book "Twilight" . It is just an amazing love story book.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

'Quiet: The power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking' by Susan Cain.
I'm about at the 50% mark, and so far i was fun to read. I could recognise myself in a few of the described situations and may be able to use some of her tips and tricks.

Next books on the reading list are 'Battle Castles" by Dan Snow and 'The Medieval Warrior: Weapons, Technology, and Fighting Techniques, AD 1000-1500' by Martin Dougherty as soon as the female warrior delivers them.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Wired For War by P.W. Singer, about the advent of drone warfare and military robotics replacing humans in battles of the future. A rather fascinating, and at times disturbing, read.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Hilan wrote:I am reading a unique love story series of Vampires, i hope the book lovers recognize the book quickly. If you guys not know than i tell you that i am reading famous Hollywood movie series book "Twilight" . It is just an amazing love story book.
I could say a lot about the poor quality of the writing, the flat and lifeless characters and blatant wish-fulfillment of the author, but what would be the point? Others have ripped apart the book better than I could and, to be honest, my main complaint about Twilight is it was a better book when it was called Tuck Everlasting.

If you're enjoying yourself, good for you.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Twoyboy
Jedi Knight

Post by Twoyboy »

The Woman Who Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde. It's the latest in the Thursday Next series which everyone should read dammit. Genius level stuff.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
-Winston Churchhill

I think a part of my sanity has been lost throughout this whole experience. And some of my foreskin - My cheating work colleague at it again
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

They had a sale on Star Wars books on May 4th so I picked up HTTE for $2.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Started reading the Necroscope Series by Brian Lumley. Interesting twist on the traditional Vampire mythology. The main protagonist is a tad over powered though.

Edit*None of the Vampires sparkle, I like this especially. Vampires are supposed to be blood sucking killing machines who revel in slaughter. Not vegetarian nice people who play baseball with the family. They are killers awesome neigh unstoppable killers. I blame Anne Rice for de-balling Vampire.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Hey, an old ASVSer got published. Allen W. McDonnell sold his Lost Submariner's Log.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Dalton wrote:Hey, an old ASVSer got published. Allen W. McDonnell sold his Lost Submariner's Log.
I want to like it, but this blurb may be the worst I've seen in quite some time.

As for me, right now I'm reading Hacker's Delight, a somewhat mathematechnical but occasionally witty book on the clever stuff you can do with low-level coding.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Started reading "The Long Earth", a cooperation by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.
--
Don't make me use uppercase...