Hi travel advice to the USA

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Re: Hi travel advice to the USA

Post by Col. Crackpot »

General Zod wrote: That's pretty funny. Have you seen the weather in the NE area lately?
It gets very humid here. The past few weeks have been 90 F with dew points in the high 60's to low 70's F. But sea breezes make it tolerable. Pleasant even. Especially in places like Cape Cod, Newport and on the islands (Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket and Block Island).
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Broomstick wrote:
Ahriman238 wrote:San Francisco is a lovely tourist area, but New England is better. If nothing else (and there is much else) you can go outside without suffering heatstroke.
Heatstroke in San Francisco? Isn't that a place known for being foggy and a bit cool?

Dude, if you said "I prefer New England myself" that's an opinion and no one's going to argue, but your implication that New England is somehow either inherently or objectively better is unsupportable fly feces
New England is inherently and objectively superior :D

Parochialism aside, I've only been to San Francisco once, or a week. I remember it being very uncomfortable except whenever we were right next to the ocean. I can only really speak from experience here, not really caring to dig up detailed meteorology data, and for all I know that was a fluke and it's perfectly pleasant 51 weeks of the year.

Why is anyone getting worked up at all about this?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Ahriman238 wrote: Parochialism aside, I've only been to San Francisco once, or a week. I remember it being very uncomfortable except whenever we were right next to the ocean. I can only really speak from experience here, not really caring to dig up detailed meteorology data, and for all I know that was a fluke and it's perfectly pleasant 51 weeks of the year.

Why is anyone getting worked up at all about this?

"Parochialism aside, I've only been to San Francisco once, or a week"

Now would be a good time to admit that you were there when you were like 2 and can't remember anything.

And the reason why everyone is getting worked up about it is because you are being a twat and spouting demonstratable falsehoods to other people.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Back from USA, my reflections.

A small and incomplete diary of my reflections about the places in USA that I Visited.

Los Angeles
First off, I do not like Los Angeles, to big to noisy and to dirty. I did the tousty things with the strip and so on, but I vill probably never return to LA, I just did not like the city.

Palm Springs
A nice little town and a nice party on the street the night I happened to be there, overall I liked Palm Springs, and the Arial Tramway / National Park was nice but sadly cloudy so I did not get a view over the desert. And it was HOT.

Grand Canyon.
What can i say except, I need to return and do a hike and or river ride. I could spend a couple of weeks here easy, best part of the trip hands down.

Las Vegas
What Happens in vegas… enough said. But I not a city I plan to return to. But the Heli Ride to Grand Canyon was fun and totally worth it.

Death Valley
HOT so HOT that you did not sweat, the Sweat evaporated instantly. But the night in the swimming pole looking at stars was a unique experience.

Yosemite
I loved it, a nice park but a bit dried out in the drought. So the waterfalls were smaller than usual, but still a very nice place to visit.

San Francisco
My new favorite town, best city I have visited. Any single girls in SF looking for a Swede? 
Absolutely a city that I loved, I did all the touristy things, Golden Gate, Tram ride, the Pier and so on and loved it all. A must visit again place for me.

Monterey
A so so city for me, nothing bad but nothing exiting.

Hearst's Castle
Price for the most unexpected gem along the trip. Hily recommended! If they could only open up the pools for everyone.

Orlando

Lucky town, so much to do and so little time.

My favorites there

Kennedy space Centre, I really felt histoy in the living there. The Apollo rocket should everyone see once in their lifetime. If Grand Canyon is a natural wonder, this one must be the greatest manmade wonder ever!

MGM Studios / Epcot
Nice rides but expensive, in my opinion, skip Disney and go to:

Universal Studios.
Better riders and shorter queues, I did the Hulk ride five times. 

Overall experience of the USA
I love the people and the common courtesy and the you speak to each other on the streets, I did not meet a single unpleasant or rude American in three weeks. Love it.

Food / Drink
You can do meats and fishes no question about that, buy why no sauce to the food? And your weggies? Damn is it intentional the way that you abuse the poor vegetables?
Also I got asked for my id a lot, did not expect that, I am 40 do I look 20? I can hope that I do but really?  Not a problem but funny.

Overall Thank you America for the best holyday in my life sofar!
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Remember our laws Faram, if you serve booze to someone under age enough you lose your license to sell the stuff plus thousand dollar fines per incident, oh and first offense you lose your job. The standard is at least three piecing and two tattoos, or at least three inches of beard or we card you.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

Great to know you enjoyed your trip! :) The chopper ride to Grand Canyon sounds real cool.
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Faram wrote:Also I got asked for my id a lot, did not expect that, I am 40 do I look 20? I can hope that I do but really?  Not a problem but funny.
For a variety of reasons from lawsuits to relieving stress on employees, a lot of places have simply instituted a rule of asking for ID for ANY booze purchase regardless of buyer's age. There is something to be said for a consistent policy, I suppose. It's an odd little quirk, but the authorities take the business of selling alcohol to those not old enough to legally buy it very seriously.
Overall Thank you America for the best holyday in my life sofar!
You're welcome. :) Glad you enjoyed your visit.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

Faram wrote:Los Angeles
First off, I do not like Los Angeles, to big to noisy and to dirty. I did the tousty things with the strip and so on, but I vill probably never return to LA, I just did not like the city.
I wonder if the filth of our great cities (compared to great cities in Europe) is one of the first observations a lot of Europeans make. I remember talking to Ramona Iftode, a Romanian, about her first visit to the States, of which she said, "For us Europeans the US is a bit weird in some ways, but the experience has been terrific." When asking for what she meant about weird, here is (part of) what she said:
“America” is something different from an European's perspective. Let's say we have cleaner cities. I was appalled to see how dirty and smelly “The Big Apple” is. Come one, it's horrible. It took me 2-3 weeks to realize this is not Berlin and won't be clean. Only then I started actually enjoying it.

The huge cars were something pretty funny too. Us Europeans have smaller cars and are careful with the fuel consumption. It's true gas in Europe is almost twice as price is concerned.
Have not visited a European country, so cannot give my take. I visited the Philippines, though that had an effect on me that was opposite yours; i.e., I thought Los Angeles and San Bernardino (let us say the latter city, which I live in, is probably near the end of a list of model cities in the States) far cleaner than ever before.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."